Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Beginner Questions

texaschase

First time to the forum. Just looking into USPSA shooting.

First question: Are there seperate matches for each gun type? For example, if I have an AR-15 but nothing else, are there matches just for rifle?

What other guns are typically shot in the rifle category? (besides the AR)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

welcome taxaschase,

First question: Are there seperate matches for each gun type? For example, if I have an AR-15 but nothing else, are there matches just for rifle?

usually there is either a pistol match when there is one gun involved. when 3gun matches are held you use pistol, rifle and shotgun. some of the stages may involve all three or two or just one.

What other guns are typically shot in the rifle category? (besides the AR)

some people use a m1a or ak-47 or ruger.

lynn

Edited by lynn jones

Also, even if you don't have all the equipment you need for a 3-gun match, take what you have and go anyway -- at the first 3-gun I attended everyone was more than willing to let me try out different shotguns (mine was a pump and the recoil is deadly) to shoot. Be prepared to become addicted however !! Unfortunately, you can't shoot just one!!

Is the AR more popular? Why?

By a a few miles! The why's are many, but the short story is that they are relatively light, soft recoil, accurate, little or no muzzle rise, easy to work on, losts of options, the gas system has less mass moving around, the bolt axis of movment is concentric with the barrel, it's cheap (in the great scheme of things), and it shoots cheap ammo.

What kind of ruger?

Mini-14 I would guess.