Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Witness Gold Team In 38 Super

coolsf

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

question. I have a baby eagle compact 9. I know tangfolio makes the slides and frames. What can I do to trick out my BE? I know I can change springs, and lighten the slide, but are there any smiths out there making trick stuff for em to build her open? I know a compact isnt the greatest platform to start with, but I think it would still be a lot of fun to shoot. that gun groups 2" at 25 yards standing freestyle and it hasnt jammed since its break in period. I love that little gun! I think it would be a really cool novelty toy. any suggestions?

question. I have a baby eagle compact 9. I know tangfolio makes the slides and frames. What can I do to trick out my BE? I know I can change springs, and lighten the slide, but are there any smiths out there making trick stuff for em to build her open? I know a compact isnt the greatest platform to start with, but I think it would still be a lot of fun to shoot. that gun groups 2" at 25 yards standing freestyle and it hasnt jammed since its break in period. I love that little gun! I think it would be a really cool novelty toy. any suggestions?

Maybe check with this guy:

Miossi Gun Works

• 3 weeks later...

I have two friends with the v12 models 38 Super, and they are strugling with thier loads. If anyone could please help me, I will pass the info along to them. I think they are becoming frustrated with not finding a good load. Please post here or PM me. Thanks, Chuck

Coolsf: If they want to let one go I will send them your way ;)

.355 Montana Gold RN CMJ

8.5 grains of N350 (makes about 175PF, very flat shooting) This is with the V8. the same load should still make major with the V12

OAL = 1.220"

Starline .38 SuperComp

The Tanfoglio/EAA perfer Round nose bullets. Accuracy is terrific with this load. Easy to hold head shots (sorry upper A/B) at 40 yards.

Edited by BritinUSA

Anybody know a source of GOOD magazines for the Tanfo Witness Gold in .38 Super?? Man the GUN is GREAT the mags are JUNK!! I guess I have become accustomed to the tuned STI's with Dawson pads......I had 2 failures to feed on Saturday....the bullets want to nose dive after the 4-5th round....I have cleaned them, checked the springs and they still do not run properly.....Who sells some RUNNING 140's???

Thanks

Randal

The only mags I know of are the EAA oem mags and the MEC-GAR mags. I have both and they seem to work for me. There are no 140 mags yet. CPMI and Taylor Freelance either have or are working on basepads.

Anybody know a source of GOOD magazines for the Tanfo Witness Gold in .38 Super?? Man the GUN is GREAT the mags are JUNK!! I guess I have become accustomed to the tuned STI's with Dawson pads......I had 2 failures to feed on Saturday....the bullets want to nose dive after the 4-5th round....I have cleaned them, checked the springs and they still do not run properly.....Who sells some RUNNING 140's???

Thanks

Randal

Just got my Gold Team .38 Super today. I can't wait to get this thing running. I just have to get the mags worked on and I'll be good to go. My C-More Slide Ride and my mount are ordered. It's a sweet sexy looking gun. It's kind heavy but I'll adjust.

What kind of bullets/brass are you using. Also what recoil spring ?

I'm using .38 SuperCOmp brass, round nose bullets and a 12lb recoil spring. Ayy heavier spring could cause problems.

ITS THE BRASS!!! .38 super will NOT WORK!! Using 12lb, Rnd Nose bullets and loaded to OAL of 1.224......the rim of .38 super cause the rounds to nose DIVE!!!! HOWEVER...the Mec-Gar mags work better than the OEM and you need to trim the lips to .55 and REMOVE the indentions at the bottom of the mag(see Dremel X 100 post....those 2 mags work GREAT with Grams Springs/Followers and CPMi base pads...22 rnds......Once I get my Super Comp (rimless) brass from Ivan I should be ready to GO!!!! Sending the STI back to Benny to fit a NEW STI Trubore Monday....but I am shooting it this weekend EVEN though it does not have a comp.......not that much difference....It does have 3 popple holes in the barrel though!!

Randal

Edited by DrawandDuck

• 1 month later...

Howdy All,

I've been using a CR Speed Holster for my Gold Team and I didn't like it. After harassing Angus about the proper Ghost Holster for it, I received the holster today. The Ghost holster fits the Gold Team much better than the CR Speed. I ordered the holster Friday and it arrived today, Monday. How is that for great service.

On the subject of MEC-GAR mags, I think CDNN has the best deal on them. They are 18.99 ea. If you live in Tx, you'll have to pay sales tax but that is still less than the cost direct from MEC-GAR.

CDNN still lists C-Mores for 149.00 for a slide ride as well.

On the 170mm mag project, the machinist working on it was going to try to start machining the dies this past weekend. I'll talk to him this week and find out how he is doing.

• 4 weeks later...

got my 170 mm mags that I had welded back. It works okay. I mean it works great with the stock follower and spring but cant seem to get the Grams set up to work. I talk with Henning and he mentioned that he has not tried it in a 9mm. Can anyone offer advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Do these run "out of the box" as claimed or is a process of screwing around with them like the S_I's to get them to work? Thinking of purchase in 9mm. Not an M or GM and won't ever be, but it would be fun to play in open without spending 3 GRAND.

Do these run "out of the box" as claimed or is a process of screwing around with them like the S_I's to get them to work? Thinking of purchase in 9mm. Not an M or GM and won't ever be, but it would be fun to play in open without spending 3 GRAND.

In my opinion go with .38 Super. The EAA mags seem to be finicky and will pretty much only run with rimless/Supercomp. I asked Henning about 9mm and he recommended the .38 Super. He would be much more knowledgable and have plenty of good answers for you.

The gun is awesome out of the box but the mags are the issue and I think that 9mm would be no different if not worse.

That is exactly why I bought it. It is a great price. Once Henning gets the 170 mags or base pads, it will be a nice alternative option to STI/SV. Only draw back in using a 9mm, are the magazines(only for now). With the cpmi base pads I am only able to load 22 rounds using the stock follower/spring, cause the Grams followers works best only in 38 super. Although I was told that maybe it has to do with my load? I will test this out Friday.

I am also working on my welded 170 mm mags. So far I am only able to use the stock follower with wolf extra power springs that only allows 26-27 rounds. I guess 27 is better than nothing??? With Grams, if I can get it to work, it will allow me to load 29. I am going to test a Grams set up this Friday.

That is exactly why I bought it. It is a great price. Once Henning gets the 170 mags or base pads, it will be a nice alternative option to STI/SV. Only draw back in using a 9mm, are the magazines(only for now). (??????????? :unsure: ) With the cpmi base pads I am only able to load 22 rounds using the stock follower/spring, cause the Grams followers works best only in 38 super. Although I was told that maybe it has to do with my load? I will test this out Friday.

I am also working on my welded 170 mm mags. So far I am only able to use the stock follower with wolf extra power springs that only allows 26-27 rounds. I guess 27 is better than nothing??? With Grams, if I can get it to work, it will allow me to load 29. I am going to test a Grams set up this Friday.

It has been mentioned before in this forum, (I think I did??!!) that if there is a magazine where there is no problem, it it for the 9mm (specific) sized/framed guns, rather than the large framed pistol required for using the .38 Super/comp.

At almost every single "gun show" you can find "aftermarket" and/or factory magazines meant for the CZ-75 (in 9mm) that will hold normally around 35 rounds. These are too long as provided, but can be easily cut down in size to the required 170 mm max lenght. I have five of them in use, and performing great. The followers as provided with these extra lenght mags are made with a very long foot/root, which solud be discarded. The followers that come with the 17 round mags work great with the long mags, and you can even cut down the long springs to suit. After this "surgery" my mags hold 30 9mm rounds (reloadable) and work very well. Unfortunately, these long mags are not made for the large framed guns required for the .38 Supe/comp. :(:wacko: