Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"marker" Penalties

DJPoLo

Usually the'll drop a plastic bottle top or little wad of pasters and I've even seen one guy drop disposable ear plugs (the really bright safety orange one) to mark a spots.

But that's not re-arranging the ground right? If you pile up gravel OK, but dropping a thing on the ground is the same as dropping a case when shooting so how can you be dinged?

The rule just isn't about re-arranging the ground. It is pretty clear to me that the shooters aren't allowed to change the course of fire in any way. And, putting your own special marker on the ground...however you choose to do it...wouldn't certainly fall under that rule (IMO).

Ok, but let's be reasonable. I will try to pick out physical attributes of the stage as markers for shooting, but you should never make them for yourself.

That said, if you have shot many matches at all you have probaly had to smooth the surface of a start box so you are not standing in the pit someone else left in the gravel. I also remove rocks and brass from tarps laid out for a prone position. Don't consider this as re-arranging the course - it may be just restoration. It technically could fall within the rule though. Also what about the chair that slowly sinks into the mud until you are sitting about 8" off the ground. I have been known to pull these out of their holes also.

Paul,

All that is required to CYA is to ask the RO if it is OK if you level tha soones in the start box, or reset the chair or clear off the tarp.

I have yet to have an RO refuse a reasonable request.

You do run the risk of a penalty if you don't ask.

Jim

At a Nationals a few years ago, I was faced with having to start in a hole worn in the gravel. Knowing the rule, I asked the RO to fill in the hole. She laughed and replied that she could not do that. I just accepted it, rather than let it mess with my head. Turned out to be one of my better stages.

Later heard (could be wrong) when the super squad got there, Voigt just filled in the hole without a word.

It's good to be the King. :D

Edited by wide45

I would say that if a hole has been worn in to the COF and it is likely to present a true safety issue, then the RO and CRO are obligated to fix it. If they refuse, call for the RM. On the otherhand, a bit of gravel kicked out of the way, well is it really all that critical? I have to say that there is likely a matter of degrees here.

However, if as you stated, Mike showd up and rearranged the ground without permission, then President or not, he should have been dinged. It may be the President's Match, but once the match starts he, as President, is just another shooter and should receive no deference not afforded to any other shooter.

Usually, it is best to concentrate on the shooting. If the chair is low, or the ground is rougn, just shoot. In most cases, the head game that you run on yourself by concetrating on the ground conditions will have a negative impact on your scores. Of course, if you see a wall that is broken loose and flapping in the breeze, or a swinger with the target loose or other similar situations, they should be corrected.

Jim

However, if as you stated, Mike showd up and rearranged the ground without permission, then President or not, he should have been dinged. It may be the President's Match, but once the match starts he, as President, is just another shooter and should receive no deference not afforded to any other shooter.

Not really what I meant. I could have filled the hole. Doubt I'd have got a penalty. Good shot at winning the arb if so. Was not sure of myself. MV just did the right thing. The stage staff should have been doing it.

If there is no safety issue, live with it. If there is any safety issue at all, mention that to the CRO, else ask to talk to a RM or the MD. The range crew will probably fix the hole at this point. Don't worry about annoying people when safety or fairness is involved.