Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shotgun Basics

Shooter Grrl

I've been thinking about buying myself a shotgun, but really have no clue what to look for!  My one time experience shooting one wasn't the most pleasant in my life (can you say YELLOW BRUISES for 3 weeks).  

It was a 3 gun match and there were 2 steel stages, and I was using a 12ga pump that was so damn long, I could barely reach the pump.  After about the first 12 shots, I couldn't even hold the gun up enough to aim it at the targets.  (I HATE zeroing stages!)

So, I'm open to pretty much anything, except pain and suffering!  

Can anybody recommend "something" that would be fairly easy to handle for a vertically challenged grrl with short arms and no upper arm strength :-)

Most of the 3-gun shotguns are eigher Remmington 1100 or 11-87 (which have a ton of aftermarket accessories) or Benelli.  The Rem is available in a light weight version though with light weight comes more recoil.  Having shot both, the Benelli seems to have more felt recoil than the Remmington.  I have a JP brake on my open 1100 which is pretty effective at dampening the recoil and keeping it on target.  As far a caliber goes stick with 12 ga. if you want to shoot 3 gun.  20 has a smaller pattern, is not major and it is harder to knock down steel with 20 ga.   Buy a few cases of the cheap 12 ga ammo and shoot it alot to get used to getting it up on you shoulder right (keeps the brusing down), and you'll get used to the recoil.  Hope this is helpful.

Shooter Grrl,

You have the same problem my wife has. There is no way a shotgun that fits a normal sized man would ever fit her and all it does is beat her up and she cannot shoot them well due to the fact that they don't fit her.

The way I see it you have 2 options.

1) Get a youth size 1100 or 11-87

This is the option we chose and I kinda wish we had gone with option #2 because nobody makes a 8 round mag tube for the small frame 1100 and the Easy Loader does not fit it either. I'm going to try to make an Easy Loader fit but I'm not sure I can. Choate makes a 7 round mag tube for the small frame 1100 but you have to go direct to Choate to get it and it leaves her 1 round down.

2) get a full size 1100/11-87 and have a smaller stock that fits you on it. Then all acccesories will fit and there are a lot of options available.

We chose the 20 guage model and I think it was a good choice. It does not beat her up and it knocks steel down just fine. It fits her pretty well too. She shot 22 out of 25 on a round of trap last Sunday!

The full size 20 guage uses the same size stuff as the 12 does.  I think this would be the better choice. If I were to do it over I think I would choose the full size 20 guage 11-87 and get a stock to fit her. The youth model is a lot lighter though...........

I hope this helps.

The difference is the gas system, the 1100 is older and basic where the 11-87 has a few other parts incase of overcharge loads its easier on the gun with less chance of breakage.  I shoulds have used "comp" instead of brake.  JP calls it a recoil eliminator.  It has ports that direct the gas up and back to tame recoil and muzzle rise.  Yea the Benelli is up there, I've seen used 1100 for about $200 and new one's run about $500 +/-,  that's why I have one.  Go the the Richmond 3-gun at the end of the month I'm sure most of us would be happy to let you try out the different guns.

TMC, 20 guage IS major.

The difference between the 1100 and the 11-87 is the way the gas system works. There is not much difference .

I believe that they modified the 1100 so many times that when they finally got it right they called it the 11-87.

Really, the 11-87 has a gas system that is supposed to use only the amount of gas it needs to cycle the action so it is supposed to be more reliable with a wider variety of loads. If you were to compare the two you would have a hard time finding the difference. The 11-87 does have a stainless mag tube though.

Quote: Go the the Richmond 3-gun at the end of the month I'm sure most of us would be happy to let you try out the different guns.

Kewl - I think I may just have to do that!  Can I use a .22 as my rifle there?  I do have a "real" one (well, David does), but I really like the .22 :-)

I ROd Kathy during her first shotgun experience. She needs something that fits her, first of all. So maybe a youth model, or an adult model with a short recoil pad. And she needs something soft. So an 1100 or 1187. Maybe even 20 ga.

There are always a bunch of 12ga 11xx models at Richmond  shotgun and 3 gun matches, and you can compare them to Benellis. And look up Dave A. to try his 20ga 1100 mousegun. He may even have a set up 12ga for sale.

You can't use a .22 for the rifle, it has got to be centerfire.

When I first started I had a Remington Special Field 1100.It was short, 21" barrel I think,and sweet. Don't know if they still make them but I am sure you could find a nice used one if not. HMMM-I think I may have to hunt one down for old times sake.

Bill Hearne

I have 3 1100's but if starting over would opt for the 1187 (21inch special purpose, vent rib) because of the stronger extractor....go to a skeet range and ask for help (skeet not trap... grin) it is critical that the stock fit you, and under recoil not displace into your cheek but rather away from it... most field grade guns with a dropped stock recoil into your cheek... find a trap stock that breaks away from your cheek under recoil, and cut it down to get the right point of aim. (or build up a field grade with bondo)....it is critical for the stock to fit you, as your cheek weld on the stock is the rear sight.  The shotgun game players, sporting clays, skeet and trap shooters know how to reduce recoil... back boring, edm porting like magnaporting, sorbathane recoil pads, mercury recoil reducers and reduced loads all tend to work.  Ask one of the other game players for help, they have been doing it for a lot longer time... regards

Les,

Good advise.  I think I'll take a trip to the local shotgun range soon and get some input from those in the know.  I am a decent sized guy...my 1100 w/ slugs rocked my cheek pretty good though.  Maybe I can see if mine fits me as it should.

• 2 weeks later...

Shooter Grrl,

My wife just got an 1100 youth 20 gauge. We got a Choate tube that hold 7 plus 1. She's only shot about 100 rounds so far. She likes it better than our 1100 & 870 in 12 gauge even after we cut the stocks off 1 inch. The 20 is much lighter and doesn't seem to kick as much.

Bill Nesbitt

Now this is a subject near and dear to my heart. Last September I went to a ladies' pheasant hunt, and used my trusty Mossberg 835. I got caught up in the excitement and didn't realize how bruised I was after shooting two boxes of 3" #4s. (Making feathers fly tends to distract you!)  The hunt included lunch and a free round of sporting clays.  That is when I discovered how sore I was. Meanwhile, my hunting partner, a tiny lady, was busting clays like she had done the pheasants. She shared her gun with me, and I was able to complete the course. After we were done, I wrote down all the markings, etc, on the gun and presented my husband with the paper.  The Browning Gold Ladies' Sporting Clays in 12ga showed up under the Christmas tree. I am a lucky woman, now I have *two* great shotguns. Except for turkey season, the Browning and I are inseparable.  :)

Debbie

Matching the load with the gun will help too. I'm no expert, but I've shot steel with 1oz trap loads and 1 1/4oz game loads,( which is all I ever use for all duck shooting, swans, pheasant, turkey and geese) and found no benefit in using the heavier charge. Almost all my shooting is done with a Remington 11 87 21" Turkey gun which is very comfortable due to its weight and action, but putting heavier loads (1 1/4oz) in my AYA game gun (6.5lb) is very punishing.

The gas system needs to be adjusted on the 11 87 to take light loads,

have fun, P.D.

Phil,

Hunting with an AYA, you show yourself to be a man of taste and distinction!  I'll bet it's singlemalts and Cuban cigars at your place.

Glocklady makes a good point about the Browning semi.  Bennie Cooley shoots one so they can't be that bad!  Shootergrrl, steer clear of pumps and Benellis as they kick more.  I was going to get my wife a 20 gauge 1100 for IPSC but then she just shot the AZ Police-Fire Games 3 gun match w/ my 12 gauge 1187.  She had no problems with recoil and was high woman (12th overall).  In fact, her favorite part of the match was shooting the shotgun.  God, I love her!

The first gun you bought was an AYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I hope everything has not been downhill since.  When my Dad retired from the Az Game and Fish Department, everyone put in $$ and got him a 16 gauge AYA.  Talk about a sweet quail-chukar-pheasant gun!  I can't wait to retire! (T minus 21 years and counting)

Don't feel too bad about the pad.  Rob Leatham ported a Kreighoff.  You can both share a chamber in hell.  :-)