Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Condition 3 (unloaded) Table Start - New Draw Test

dirtypool40

I chamber rounds during reloads, if I run the gun dry, or on an empty gun start by using the under the frame technique. I put two small skatboard deck tape patches uniformly cut on both sides of the slide. The trick is to get them just right so when your fingers find that index point ( that being the friction tape) youll be able to run the slide far enough back to chamber a round. Ive done this for a while and find it to be the smoothest for me at least. IMO, H

XRe,

If I was at an outlaw 3 gun match and load and fire one shot was the entire stage, I would strongly consider some type of "trick" to gain an edge - primarily because the point incentive of doing so is so high.

In USPSA - no way in heck. There would be very little to motivate me to do something I hadn't practiced in the name of shaving a couple tenths and possibly screwing the pooch in the process. I'm perfectly happy running with the pack on the shorter stages and making up time on the longer, higher value stages.

But...I'm a C-class loser, so that's the way I think these days... :P

I am on the other end of the spectrum. No matter what I do, I want people to say, "Holy Crap!!! Did you see that guy?!?!" This could be followed by two things:

1. Dropped jaws and everyone saying, "That was cool!!! I need to try that!!" or

2. Uncontrolled, sidesplitting, gutbusting laughing

I would like to think it was the first one, but most of the time it is number 2!!! Yea, that was a joke....a number 2! Get it!?! Number 2!?! HA!! Sorry for the 10 year old humer but I couldn't help myself!

Really though, I saw Angus do this and I loved it. I practiced it and that is my new way to do it. Especially if you don't have a huge magwell!

TG

A la Dan Ruff:

With my Limited gun I have a piece of skateboard tape applied as an inverted"U" half way between the ejection port and the rear of the FS (naturally I"m using an open trigger guard holster and light recoil springs). After seating the mag the gun goes into the WH web, not grasped with the ends of the thumb and forefinger. This way I can almost leave my WH open. The gun is canted top to the WH side. The WH stays close to its normal mount, and the SH drives the gun into the target, racking the slide. I let up pressure with the WH, dropping the slide, and rotate the gun into the weak hand, ready to shoot.

Unfortunately, I'm shooting Production now, with a closed holster that gags on tape applied to the slide (illegal per the rules, anyway), and, even light springed, the Glock slide is too slippery for me to do this. Now I mostly do a more traditional overhand rack.

I tend to load from the belt if given the option, since it's more or less a grooved in motion for me.

eta: (Sorry, no times - I'll try to post some).

Edited by kevin c

When in doubt, go with what is tried and true.

That doesn't make it the best way...just the best way that you have prepared for.

(DP wants times. Post your times. 'Tis the only truth.)

No, it's fine we'll argue about technique without actually knowing if one is better. :rolleyes:

with my opengun @ 5 yds I get between 1,3 and 1,5. Doesn't really matter if its from the rig or table when empty, but table feels a tad faster.

I use two techniques. If its a very very short high HF stage, I place the mag by the magwell like Angus shows on the 3GM DVD.

The left hand index and middle finger grab the racker, the thumb on the back edge of the slide to hold the gun steady while the right hand rams the mag in. When I feel the mag seat I go for grip and rack as I lift to target.

If its a longer stage where that tenth isn't really THAT important for me, I place the gun to the right, on its left side, and the mag on its back to the left. The mag is closer to me than the gun, so I only have to swist the gun around to insert the mag, insead of twist and start aligning to get the mag to the right position.

Also stolen from the 3GM DVD. Thanks Saul!

I haven't tried so much in live fire as its freezing cold outside now, and the IMM had to go for the Bedell I'm waiting for.

Only live time I have is a match with sitting condition 3 start, one turtle target tight between no-shoots. 2.1 sec 2 A's @ 4 yds.

J.

with my opengun @ 5 yds I get between 1,3 and 1,5. Doesn't really matter if its from the rig or table when empty, but table feels a tad faster.

I use two techniques. If its a very very short high HF stage, I place the mag by the magwell like Angus shows on the 3GM DVD.

The left hand index and middle finger grab the racker, the thumb on the back edge of the slide to hold the gun steady while the right hand rams the mag in. When I feel the mag seat I go for grip and rack as I lift to target.

If its a longer stage where that tenth isn't really THAT important for me, I place the gun to the right, on its left side, and the mag on its back to the left. The mag is closer to me than the gun, so I only have to swist the gun around to insert the mag, insead of twist and start aligning to get the mag to the right position.

Also stolen from the 3GM DVD. Thanks Saul!

I haven't tried so much in live fire as its freezing cold outside now, and the IMM had to go for the Bedell I'm waiting for.

Only live time I have is a match with sitting condition 3 start, one turtle target tight between no-shoots. 2.1 sec 2 A's @ 4 yds.

J.

I saw the Angus trick somewhere and what do you know, the following weekend we got a table start classifier.

I thinking cool, I got to nail this! Well when my time came up I set the gun and mag on the table and everybody

was mumbbling, "what the hell is that, he cant start like that, where is this in the rule book, etc..etc..".RO gave me

the go ahead and now I'm really nevous, I got to nail this, everybody wants me to screw this up. Buzzer goes off,

slam the mag in, flip up the gun, and what do you know jack*ss rode the slide in and I got to rack it twice, blew the

whole thing. Was good fun trying but whatever method you use PRACTICE IT FIRST!! ;)

• 4 years later...

Note: merged threads here. - Admin.

I found that a table pick-up is roughly as fast as a draw. If you can perform a 1.0-second table pick-up, how long should it take to pick-up an unloaded pistol and a magazine and load before shooting?

Also, any tips or tricks?

(I'm shooting an absolutely stock Glock, by the way.)

Edited by Flexmoney

I managed 1.6 unloaded and a .8 loaded, table starts in practice. I would say yes a 2.0 is compatible with a 1.0 sec. At least very close. Hands not at sides. IMHO

Edited by a matt

• 7 months later...

Another thread resurrection.

That last one with Travis...

about 5 seconds or so with the threats under the table conversing with each other and not biting our ankles yet???

Then shoot 'em? If there weren't a box (was there a box???), I'd shoot that one dodging backwards and sideways and putting distance between me and the threats. That or jump on the table and bob and shuttle sideways on transitions. I just don't understand the rationale behind that stage.

Looks like stage design is all about round count sometimes.

Awesome shooting though. Thanks for posting that.