Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ibook & Wireless Internet

warpspeed

My daughter got a hande-me-down Mac iBook that has some sort of wireless device built in called an Airport.

Her iBook will not connect to my Linksys wireless router. I know that the router is working fine becasue my Thinkpad connects just fine.

I know nothing about the MAC platform so when answering please speak as though you are talking to a 4th grader :) That way I'll get it :P

I'm guessing that there is some configuration that needs to be done on the iBook but I have no idea where to start.

BTW - it is running OS X , whatever the hell that is :lol:

If the Airport card is working, and the WiFi router is working, the iBook should connect fairly easily.

Open System Preferences -> Network, then click the drop-down: Location, and select New Location. Enter "Airport" in the field and click OK.

(At this point you're just "naming" the connection method, so it will be easy to return back to later, should you switch connection methods.)

Then, click the drop-down -

Show, and select Airport

Now there will be 4 or 5 tabs under the drop-down menus you just clicked. In the AirPort tab, select the drop-down menu - By default, join: (select) Preferred Networks. At this point, if your computer's AirPort and your router are capable of "talking to each other" - you should see the router's Network name appear in the list of "preferred networks." (Or any other Wifi networks within range of your computer.) Select your network name, then click the TCP/IP tab. In the Configure drop-down menu, select "Using DHCP". (The IP Address/Subnet Mask/Router fields should fill themselves in automatically.) Now click "Apply Now" in the bottom, right side of the window.

This procedure would normally connect any working AirPort equipped computer with a WiFi network. If you're still getting a network error, post at what step what you did - did not coincide with the steps above.

be

OK - Thanks BE. That seems to get the Airport up and seeing the router.

When I launch MS IE or Netscape, it acts like there is no internet. Error - "The specifed server could not be found"

Do I need to set up an account for my ISP? I did not need to on the MS machines.

no security that I know of.

Like I said, my thinkpad :wub: logs on no problems. And thanks to the above advice from BE, the iBook sees the router. But the browser isn't seeing the airport, or so it seems to this non-MAC user.

OK - Thanks BE. That seems to get the Airport up and seeing the router.

When I launch MS IE or Netscape, it acts like there is no internet. Error - "The specifed server could not be found"

Do I need to set up an account for my ISP? I did not need to on the MS machines.

I don't know what an "MS machine" is?

Forgetting that for the moment, if your WiFi router is plugged into a DSL or cable modem, the router will have to be configured with your ISP settings (your username (often your email address) and password) and connection method (Typically either PPPoE or DHCP). Otherwise, you ain't gonna be online, with the iBook.

Another test to see if your computer is talking to the router - After you clicked "apply now," go back to the "Show" drop-down menu, and select Network Status, and see what it says under AirPort.

be

Da.

Any luck with configuring the router, or, if the Network Control Panel says "you are connected to the internet." I'd guess that if you can browse the internet with your MS machines, the router should not need any additional configuration settings for your mac to get online.

be

The really weird thing is that if I connect it to the router via cable, it works fine.

I'm stumped. Is there anyway to clear out the settings and start over ?

As far as the Mac goes, there's no need to clear any settings. The drop-down menu in the Network CP allows you to add or delete any number of "locations," and also to customize any type of connection method to any "location."

It sounds like the Airport card in the computer isn't working: In Network CP, with the location set to Airport (which you created with "new location") and "Show": Network Status, if it doesn't say "you are connected to the internet via Airport" it ain't gonna work. If it works with an ethernet cable, the iBook should work with the Airport, if the Airport card works.

be

Yes you can switch the airport card off and on. If the status is displayed at the top of the screen then you can click it and toggle on and off.

Another thing to check is the aerial connection to the card itself. The Powerbook has an aerial connection that runs around the screen and is connected to the card by a cable.

Try using SAFARI to browse the internet. It's better than IE and Netscape anyway and see if that makes any difference.

When you use Safari, if it does not connect it gives you an option to run diagnostics which may point to the problem.

Is your linksys wireless device a router or an access point? Depending on that your problem could be a couple of things. You may be connected to your linksys router but if DHCP isnt turned on within your router you wont get an IP address and you wont get anywhere on the internet. If it is an access point you are S.O.L., since all that does allow computers to connect to your network wirelessly, it dosent provide IP addresses, that is generally done at a firewall or a dedicated DHCP server. If it is a router then make sure that DHCP is turned on with the router. To do this you will need to connect to it with one of your pc's that are connected via the lan then get into the interface of the router. I could explain it but your are better off finding the quick install guide on the linksys website.

Is your linksys wireless device a router or an access point? Depending on that your problem could be a couple of things. You may be connected to your linksys router but if DHCP isnt turned on within your router you wont get an IP address and you wont get anywhere on the internet. If it is an access point you are S.O.L., since all that does allow computers to connect to your network wirelessly, it dosent provide IP addresses, that is generally done at a firewall or a dedicated DHCP server. If it is a router then make sure that DHCP is turned on with the router. To do this you will need to connect to it with one of your pc's that are connected via the lan then get into the interface of the router. I could explain it but your are better off finding the quick install guide on the linksys website.

It is a router. I'll try cheching the DHCP thingymabob. :D

I am a real "newbie" to this computer stuff that seems to be changing/upgraded every day. But most of what I do is "wireless" usually by blue tooth in addition to the new T-Mobile "GPRS-EDGE". Sorry, I do not use Wi-Fi with my laptop.

But earlier on trying to configure my systems including a "fixed cell station" everything went fine so long as I used a data cable. With my new desktop PC I encountered several incompatibilites issues due to "drivers" not working, or "pairing" issues with the newer software. Of course, I have one of those MS machines that went askew with driver issues with the "Service Pack 2". While you are driving a Mac, I wondered if you could be having some "drivers" issues? Maybe the drivers you need are not installed or incompatible?

Or ... maybe I should just stick to 1911's ... :D:blink:;)

Try turning WEP off for a test in the Wireless tab of the router Control Panel. If the iBook connects on up with WEP security turned off, then you need to enter the WEP key in the iBook.

Turn WEP back on in the router and then use the "Other" option from menu you get after clicking on the Airport signal strength meter in the Menu Bar on the iBook (inverted triangle with black/gray bars). If that icon isn't there, then open System Preferences and in the Network Pane click configure and check the box to Show Airport Status in Menu Bar.

Now, when the Other dialog box comes up, it will be titled Closed Network and there will be a box for you to type in the EXACT name of your wireless network. Next select the correct option for the type of WEP security you set and enter the password/key. Say yes if you are asked to remember this for the future.

That oughta' do ya'

I forgot to mention that I had a similar problem with the linksys wireless routers, I had to unplug the router a couple of times to get everything to sync up. Give that a shot.

I am not familiar with MAC products. So, I can not help you with the MAC connection problem, but I believe you mentioned you are not running any security encryption on your wireless network ? If not, call linksys 1-800 help desk number and they will help you get set up. Linksys has great customer service.

If your system does not have the latest security---You risk losing your identity-!!!! Never run wireless without the latest security and hardware updates.