Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Automobile

I like my Jeep wrangler, gets good gas mileage, can definitely go anywhere needed 4x4 wise,

I agree about the "go anywhere" part, the Jeep has unmatched off road capability, but . . .

What kind of milage are You getting ?

I Love My Jeep, but it SUCKS GAS.

13-15 MPG. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm thinking about trading it for a CIVIC !

11aa98jeepTJ004.jpg

11aa98jeepTJ014.jpg

aa98jeepTJ016.jpg

aa98jeepTJ010.jpg

click My Jeep pics

Edited by Derek45

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like my Jeep wrangler, gets good gas mileage, can definitely go anywhere needed 4x4 wise,

I agree about the "go anywhere" part, the Jeep has unmatched off road capability, but . . .

What kind of milage are You getting ?

I Love My Jeep, but it SUCKS GAS.

13-15 MPG. :angry::angry::angry::angry::angry::angry:

I'm thinking about trading it for a CIVIC !

If you lifted it, which it looks like you did, did you change the gears out to match the tires? That could be part of the problem. If you dont change out the gears for the tires and lift you are running that will effect performance. Depends on the tires you are running as well, the more off road tires get less gas milieage. I have a set for daily driving and for off road. I use my stock rims and street tires for daily driving and then switch to my off road rims(beadlocks) and tires for excursions. The upgraded air intake and chip along with the other stuff I mentioned also helps. I get about 22 MTG. Mine is a stick as well, I don't know if that matters. And for the luv of god, dont get a civic. :)

Edited by jbullgpd

And, don't forget... if you put big tires on it and don't adjust the odometer, it *looks* like you're getting *really* good mileage!

;-)

B (been there, done that...)

3.25" lift.

32" MTR tires.

4.0ltr. 5 speed maunal

Still running stock 3.07 gears. :angry:

I'm too cheap to re-gear the axles.

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

Edited by Derek45

3.25" lift.

32" MTR tires.

4.0ltr. 5 speed maunal

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

LOL on what JEEP stands for, yeah would be better off running 3.73 or even 4.11 gears with that set up. They will run ya bout $150 an axle but it would be worth it. check out the graph I found for ya...... http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-26.htm

Edited by jbullgpd

2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4 w/Quadsteer. Leather, heated seets (great at the SSM3-Gun when it SNOWED), XM radio, DVD player, you name it. Carried 4 guys and all of our gear comfortably from Northern CA to AZ and to Albany at the end of this month. Gas milage isn't too good at 14 on the highway going 80 but what can you do? Quadsteer lets it turn around in places only a Honda can. Works for us.

3.25" lift.

32" MTR tires.

4.0ltr. 5 speed maunal

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

LOL on what JEEP stands for, yeah would be better off running 3.73 or even 4.11 gears with that set up. They will run ya bout $150 an axle but it would be worth it. check out the graph I found for ya...... http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowledgebase/article-26.htm

I'd go 4.11, or even 4.56, but it's the labor that kills You.

It's about $1000 per axle around here.

3.25" lift.

32" MTR tires.

4.0ltr. 5 speed maunal

Just

Empty

Every

Pocket

I'd go 4.11, or even 4.56, but it's the labor that kills You.

It's about $1000 per axle around here.

OUCH!!!!! you need a friend who is a mechanic. cheaper here, heck drive to AZ and I'll point you to the right guy. It must be a benefit here in the desert, so many jeeps and so much work on them done that the prices aren't as bad. I feel for ya. If you change the gears you will be much better off gas mileage wise, but I wouldn't pay those prices either.

I've been using internet specials on rental cars for matches I need to drive a ways to for the last couple of years. I look for an under $200 weekly rate coupled with unlimited mileage.

I started getting SUV's but realized that security issues suck with no relatively secure storage in a glass linned box. I have been renting full size luxury passenger cars lately and just stuffing all of my gear into the huge trunks the full size sedans have. I am a lot more comfortable going into restaurants with my stuff locked in a trunk now.

The big plus is the luxury of the long drive in one of these beasties. My present plan for the 2006 Ft. Benning 3gun match is to rent a big azz Chrysler sedan and fly low across US 40 enjoying 4-5 days of sightseeing at each end of the trip :-)

'02 Ford F-250 PSD (7.3), AT, 4x4, crew cab, Lariat package. When kept under 70 mph I can get 21.5 mpg. Pulling my Cougar 26' fifth wheel I am at 12mpg.

Wife, 17 yr. old son, two dogs, and myself. Storage for all the shooting equipment and guns. Room for the generator if we need to Boondock for a while. We have our own beds, shower, resteraunt to eat in, and my own fridge for the my own beer. :D

No hassles with flying with weapons. Did that once, the guns caused no problem, but the airlines with the canceled flights etc. really got the dander up. I like going at my own speed and doing a little sightseeing on the way. Worth the extra cost over just flying out and renting rooms and vehicles.

Time well wasted.

Porsche- there is no substitute. Just pack in the HK stuff, Valentine One and hit it. However, now that I am in serious need of a truck, my procurement director/finance minister has directed me that the fleet cannot be expanded, hence the Porsche will have to go since her Honda is most definately not subject to liquidation.

I'm looking at getting a decent mid 90's extended cab. My 96 Ram got 20mpg highway/17mpg city. With the extended cab, I could pack in lots of stuff behind the front seats. A lockable hard shell tonneau on the bed kept prying eyes from seeing what was being toted in the rear. In comparison to the Porsche- switched from premium to regular, no more expensive insurance and cheaper parts- it's a financial wash, even with 3 gun trips factored in.

The cool thing about older trucks is that they've already done most of their depreciation with a reasonable amount of life left in them. My 96 Ram didn't get traded away until 225k was showing on the clock. Find one with about 70k showing and in good shape mechanically, it should go in the 5-6k range. Pay cash up front, no payments, nor interest and you've got some cheap drivin.

If you're that much of a Porche fan, I think they make a crossover SUV (Cayenne?) that handles better than most on the street and has 4WD and perhaps enough room for 2 shooters and their 3-gun gear. The problem with hatchbacks and small to midsize SUV's is that if you don't put the back seats down, you have enough room for pistol gear, but not enough for long guns for 3 or 4 shooters.

I use a GMC Sierra and I can't pass Mustangs and have to slow down for curves. My extended cab is fine for 2 shooters but I would suggest the extended cab for 3-5 people + gear. You'll need a bed cover or topper unless you have someone stand guard at all times.

Yup, the teutonic chili pepper in its turbo S configuration is probably the world's fastest SUV, its no slouch in the 4 wheelin department either. The down side is the cost. In my current turbo car, I can blast past stangs and vettes :D on my way to the range. Just cinch up the 6 point harness, twist up the boost and kill bugs fast while avoiding those annoying official letters from the state concerning velocity. But, back to practicality.

Since I really need a truck at the moment for a variety of reasons, the toy has to go. So, whatever I wind up with will be my new 3 gun hauler. I don't think that 4 wheel drive is that necessary. For cab room, the Dodge is winner hands down. The Ford is likely a better made vehicle, mechanically speaking. Chevy and GMC aren't that bad either. I'm not a brand name koolaid type. I'll weigh whatever I wind up with by a financial analysis. As for other vehicles, the Element is a quirky vehicle but has a high utility factor. Fuel economy isn't bad either.

If I didn't need a truck so bad, I'd consider thinking of something like the new Dodge station wagon. There's tons of room, decent fuel consumption and rides well for long trips. I don't see that a SUV is really necessary for 3 gun hauling. Then again, I don't haul along a gun cart, a golf cart, 2 spare guns of each type and enough ammo to storm Falujah single handed.

Yup, the teutonic chili pepper in its turbo S configuration is probably the world's fastest SUV, its no slouch in the 4 wheelin department either. The down side is the cost. In my current turbo car, I can blast past stangs and vettes :D on my way to the range. Just cinch up the 6 point harness, twist up the boost and kill bugs fast while avoiding those annoying official letters from the state concerning velocity. But, back to practicality.

Since I really need a truck at the moment for a variety of reasons, the toy has to go. So, whatever I wind up with will be my new 3 gun hauler. I don't think that 4 wheel drive is that necessary. For cab room, the Dodge is winner hands down. The Ford is likely a better made vehicle, mechanically speaking. Chevy and GMC aren't that bad either. I'm not a brand name koolaid type. I'll weigh whatever I wind up with by a financial analysis. As for other vehicles, the Element is a quirky vehicle but has a high utility factor. Fuel economy isn't bad either.

If I didn't need a truck so bad, I'd consider thinking of something like the new Dodge station wagon. There's tons of room, decent fuel consumption and rides well for long trips. I don't see that a SUV is really necessary for 3 gun hauling. Then again, I don't haul along a gun cart, a golf cart, 2 spare guns of each type and enough ammo to storm Falujah single handed.

If your looking for a truck then don't rule out the Nissan Titan, most room and horsepower in its class.....so I've heard, I'm looking at them right now and a buddy ofmine has one and loves it. Crew cab 4WD.

"Nissan Titan............"

Go with a Tundra extra cab and add a Condensator for 5 MPH mo. Nissan is half-owned (44.4%) by Renault.....Oui? I think Pat Kelly is owned by EricW who is a subsidery of Kimel..........

Edited by Sandoz

Honda Element!

Remove back seats or flip them up and lock them out of the way. 24 MPG room for me @ 6'4" / 240 hauls all your 3 gun gear with space left for coolers and a buddies gear plus it's 4 wheel drive.

Funny looking? Sure, but so is the driver!

PK

+1 for the Element!

Hauls all the gear for two shooters, including my Rugged Gear Cart. And I carry lots of extra stuff!

+2 for the refrigerator box on wheels! :wub:

I just got to Japan a couple of days ago. There is a 4WD Diesel van here called a Mitsubishi Delica. It looks like it has a lot of potential. It has a high road clearance and lots of room. Maybe they'll export them to the US someday.

• 2 weeks later...

Nissan Xterra! Looks cool (especially my Pittsburgh Steels Yellow with Black brushguards/trim version) gets semi-ok MPG, can off-road with the best of them, and is fairly cheap. Its also great at the beach...

Honda Element!

Remove back seats or flip them up and lock them out of the way. 24 MPG room for me @ 6'4" / 240 hauls all your 3 gun gear with space left for coolers and a buddies gear plus it's 4 wheel drive.

Funny looking? Sure, but so is the driver!

PK

+1 for the Element!

Hauls all the gear for two shooters, including my Rugged Gear Cart. And I carry lots of extra stuff!

+2 for the refrigerator box on wheels! :wub:

+3 Got to throw my vote in for the Element. I got a new one earlier this summer and its been a great shooting vehicle. The fold up removable back seat really make it a flexible vehicle. The urethane floor makes is muddy match compatible. Give it a look.

mcb

FWIW, the Truck Vaults (http://www.truckvault.com) rock for keeping gear secure and way out of sight in a SUV or truck. They support shooting and sponsor matches so keep an eye out for a certificate on a prize table or just pony up the bucks and get one.. you won't regret it.

NICE!!!, I need to get me one of those for my Jeep, I wonder if it will fit under my backseat or if I could change the mounts on the backseat to make it work........Hmmmmm.....