Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Automobile

This post proves that I am developing a 3 gun problem. I have a beautiful 78 Chevy pickup and an HD EGC bike. The truck is not the most confortable vehicle for a long trip. I have considered buying a trailer for the bike, but sometimes its too cold, too wet or too hot to travel a couple of states away. So, I need a 3 gun vehicle. What is the PERFECT 3 gun vehicle? I need gas mileage, comfort, space for my stuff and a shooting buddy's stuff.

Thanks,

Javier

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a ford expedition, 4x4, big V8, very comfortable, lotsa room for people and gear.

Crappy gas mileage (17mpg highway, less when going over 80mph), but... very comfortable, and has proven itself at a bunch of 3-gun matches. With the back two rows of seats folded down, the thing is downright cavernous.

Well my little 2 door ford focus fits the bill, with hatch back and rear seat folded down it will carry all the gear two people need. I mean coolers luggage guns, carts.

I'm big guy and two door is easy to get in and out of, great mileage and it was cheap. Fully loaded out the door premium model with auto was only 12K, AC will freeze you out in Florida humid summer.

My Ford Fusion is great. All four seats are big and roomy, rear seat folds, trunk is huge, gobs of room for two guys and all of the guns. Might be a bit tight for those three-gun carts unless the cart collapses or it can go on a Yakima rack on the roof. I and buddy who is 2m tall stuffed all of a weekend's worth of gear and snowboards into mine, and he still put his seat back and reclined. And then we got 29 mpg at 80 mph. Mine is fun to drive with the four-banger and manual trans (It actually performs fine with the I4), and the V6 version is a bit of a hot rod.

Billski

Now you guys gotta know that No.343 hesitated for a year buying a $39 front sight. Getting him to come off with more then a few bucks for lunch is like pulling teeth. I bet he is waiting to hear that he can accomplish this with a Schwinn and a wal-mart plastic bag! :D

But I guess once you get bit by the 3-gun bug, a man will do some crazy stuff!! :)

Mike

You basically need an SUV that's blacked out in the back, a Minivan, or Truck with a topper/lockable top. to protect your guns. Many trucks come in 4 door variants.

A lot of ranges it's real nice to have a truck 4/AWD so you can pull up wherever you need to and not have to lug your gear clear around the hill or other enbankments.

How much do you want to spend. and how nice do you want it to be are the two most importnat questions in choosing a vehicle.

Honda Element!

Remove back seats or flip them up and lock them out of the way. 24 MPG room for me @ 6'4" / 240 hauls all your 3 gun gear with space left for coolers and a buddies gear plus it's 4 wheel drive.

Funny looking? Sure, but so is the driver!

PK

Okay, what we have so far:

It's uncomfortable to drive the truck that far.

It's too hot.

It's too cold.

It's too wet.

It costs too much.

This from a guy with a 28 year old truck and a Harley who purports to shoot 3 gun.

I've got it!

Buy a used golf bag with wheels for your gear and let the buddy whose stuff you need room for drive.

:D

AikiDale.

THAT'S FUNNY!! You got him pegged!! Not to mention everytime we go to lunch he "forgets" his wallet. not sure what he is worried about, we travel together and my Expedition seems just fine.

Edited by mike_pinto

I like my Jeep wrangler, gets good gas mileage, can definitely go anywhere needed 4x4 wise, and if I need to hold gear I just pull out the back seat and there is room, the unlimiteds have even more room and the rack acessories that you can buy for it pretty much make it very versitile for however much stuff you want to carry. besides, Jeeps are cool :):)

This rack even converts to a covered area for tailgaiting and such, I'm saving up for mine.

23661-lg.jpg

AikiDale, I like the way you think!!

I'm glad you think so!

I just shot a three gun match and I might just have to get one for myself. Hauling an M14, 12 Guage and Limited pistol around with ammo for all three plus water, snacks and a stapler was a hot and humid experience requiring several trips back and forth to the car today. There's got to be a better way.... :D

jbullgpd, How does the Jeep handle pulling a trailer?

Sinistral. The van has lots of potential. I heard a story about a bunch of OK Air National Guard guys who drove a van to Camp Robinson. The story says that they opened the door to the van and had a contest seeing who could shoot the most mile markers with their air guns. That rumor remains uncomfirmed.

How about a Landrover Defender D90 - Gas mileage is crappy, but it'll go anywhere and is quite comfortable - I like the way it looks too.

I fitted mine with a custom built safe - works great and I never have to worry about my guns being left in the open - When the doors are closed you can't tell there's a safe in the back.

If more storage is needed, it takes about five minutes to install the "Safari" rack on top.

d901jy.jpg

Edited by pmd

jbullgpd, How does the Jeep handle pulling a trailer?

Sinistral. The van has lots of potential. I heard a story about a bunch of OK Air National Guard guys who drove a van to Camp Robinson. The story says that they opened the door to the van and had a contest seeing who could shoot the most mile markers with their air guns. That rumor remains uncomfirmed.

There are some easy and fairly inexpensive engine upgrades that will help with performance. I pull a six foot trailer without a problem, i wouldn't recommend too big of a trailer, I mean it is a V6. You can upgrade the air intake, change the chip and throttle body and get some good performance gains, if you change the headers and exhaust that would help even more. The thing I like about jeeps is they are like an AR really, there are a billion and one upgrades and toys you can put on them, some practical, some not but there are alot of cool things out there for them. I am going with the hard racks to actually loose the trailer unless I really need it. the racks can hold just as much and you dont have to deal with the trailer.

PMD that land romver is sweet, love the gun locker.

I've noticed the Trailblazers have some type of a canvas or vinyl cover that is on a roll that pulls across your back cargo bay. Some are even carpeted so it looks like its a hard panel from tinted windows rather than just a cover-up.

For those who still buy American ;)

Honda Element!

Remove back seats or flip them up and lock them out of the way. 24 MPG room for me @ 6'4" / 240 hauls all your 3 gun gear with space left for coolers and a buddies gear plus it's 4 wheel drive.

Funny looking? Sure, but so is the driver!

PK

+1 for the Element!

Hauls all the gear for two shooters, including my Rugged Gear Cart. And I carry lots of extra stuff!

Last 3 gun match I attended with a friend we had a choice of three vehicles;

His Volvo, my Saturn or Ford HD 350 Diesel 4 Door Long Bed 4X4.

For two guys, two rifles, two shotguns, two pistols and associated gear, water and snacks I opted for the Saturn Station Wagon. Plenty of room and 34 miles to the gallon.

Next time I'll take the truck.... ;)