Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45 300 Grain Bullets?

zhunter

OK, I am looking for the puff load of all time here to still make Major.

If there is such a thing as a 300 grain .45 bullet, it would only have to move at 560 fps to hit 168 PF. NOW that would be a soft shootin' mutha :)

I would consider FMJ if they exist, but otherwise Im will shoot 230 Gr. JHP Montana Golds.

I am going with Titegroup, mainly because I have so much on hand for my .40 limited gun.

Any ideas out there in the Benoverse?

And bounce backs off the poppers....ouch.

Pin shooters tried them ten years ago or more. The idea was to boot them up to a "sedate" 750 fps for a PF of 225. The pins would fly!

Too bad the bullets, made for .454 Casull, were so tough they wouldn't expand, drivne sideways thorugh a railroad tie.

I was standing next to Bruce and Gary Britt when they were testing their load on pins. We saw a flash in the grass at our feet, and picked up a still-warm 300 grain .45 bullet, with no marks other than those created by the rifling. The mere thought of catching that in the shorts could make a grown man cry.

Hornady makes 250gr and 300gr XTPs for revos (sized .452")

Nosler makes a 250gr sporting JHP, a 260gr JHP, and a 300gr jacketed sized .451"

Sierra makes 240gr and 300gr JHPs sized .451"

Speer makes a 260gr JHP sized .451"

All of those are really revo bullets, though.

Edit - Speer has data on that 260gr JHP for .45 Win Mag. Obviously, the charges are way too heavy for .45 ACP, but that would imply the bullet might work OK in an autoloader...

Edited by XRe

Either Rifle or Handloadder had an article about loading big (300 grain) bullets in a .45ACP. Seems there is actually a company that makes big bullets for the .45ACP. Last month or the month before.

It's funny you should mention this. I think I have found a use for those pesky 40 S&W cases I pick up by accident every so often. Just last night I was playing around with my new bullet swage press and I grabbed a 40 S&W case, bumped it up to .451, seated a lead core and rounded it over. It came out to 360gr. I'll next try trimming the case down so that I can get it down to 300 gr.

Back on mute. :ph34r:

I've shot those LAR Grizzly guns. God that was awful. The frame is too long front to back. teh slide is thicker, heavier and sprung like a truck. My bad memories may stem formt eh customer complaining that the gun threw empty brass in his face. (He wasn't kidding, I had to try it.)

Between the brass-pelting and the recoil, I had no fun that weekend.

But for the power, (in a pistol) there was nothing else for a long time.