Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choate mag extension problem....

Bill Schwab

I'm slowly building up my first shotgun for 3-gun competition.  Last night I received and installed a Choate mag extension.  When viewed from the top (looking at barrel with the tube under the barrel) the extension tube is bowed off to one side.  While this is functionally not a problem is just bugs the sh*t out of me.  Is this normal for the mag entensions?  

I checked to make sure I didn't cross-thread the tube on and it's good-to-go.  Any advice?  I was going to take the extension off when I get home from work and roll it on a table with the end sticking off the table to see if the threaded end is off center or something.

Also, is it necessary to use the clamp that goes from the barrel to the extension tube?

Bill

It could be the extension, it could be the mag tube on the gun, it could be the way the threads were cut.  Since the shotgun manufacturer never considered the installation of an extension, what do they care that the tube or threads point outboard?

If it works, then it works.  Yes, use the clamp.  Otherwise you may find the extension unscrewing from vibration, and you'll suddenly have a malfunction when the rim of a shell drops into the gap between tube and extension.