Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Range Commands

lynn jones

My procedure as a competitor is to step into the start box or near the start position when it's my turn. I review what I need to do mentally, check that my mags are all loaded to full capacity one final time, etc. When the R.O. approaches, I make eye contact and either ask any question I need answered or say "I'm ready to go whenever you are" if I have no questions. If there are vision barriers blocking my view of the area downrange I either clear them myself or ask the R.O. to make a final check. I think that experienced shooters have the ability to make the R.O.s life easier if they use a little common sense.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course prior to issuing the LAMR command, the RO must ensure that the downrange area is clear of all personnel and that the competitor is facing downrange.

OK. So are you saying that we as ROs can say what we need to say before we say LAMR? I can't get the shooter into the correct position if the first words out of my mouth must be "Load and Make Ready"

For example - "Enter the start location, face down range - Load And Make Ready"

I don't think our rulebook or SOP could be any simpler in this regard.

Simple...sure. Workable in all situations... hmmmm, I'm not so sure.

Nik Habicht

I think that experienced shooters have the ability to make the R.O.s life easier if they use a little common sense.

Oh I absolutely agree. It's the new shooters that cause some difficulties. It's really hard trying to stay with the range commands verbatim while you are trying to keep a new shooter from doing something unsafe.

Throw a new shooter the rulebook and tell him to memorize it before he can shoot and see how much we grow as a sport.

There is no prohibition on speaking to the competitor before giving the LAMR. Ask him to assume the position if need be. If facing uprange, a hand gesture will suffice. B)

Dowter,

There is absolutely nothing wrong speaking with the competitor while waiting for the range to be cleared and prior to issuing LAMR, and that is also why we must only use official range commands when it's time to get serious.

Everything else before LAMR is chit chat. As others have said, if the competitor is facing the wrong way, a simple hand gesture prior to LAMR will indicate you're about to issue the official range commands and that you're merely signalling the competitor to face downrange. If he doesn't understand the signal, asking him to face downrange is perfectly acceptable.

IPSC is supposed to be fun, and a good RO will make his competitor feel welcome and relaxed when he comes to the line. Having said that, when it's time to get down to business, the range commands should be given verbatim and in a clear, distinctive and unrushed manner.

If you want to save range time, rush the people taping targets and resetting steel, and get your assistant to have the next competitor ready to go before the previous competitor finishes his attempt at the COF.

The competitor on the line needs and deserves his "zen" time, so don't rush him or the commands.

Sometimes a COF's start position is not a safe place to have the competitor LAMR. Start positions frequently can be behind a wall or other obstacles. That means moving the competitor out of the start position to safety have him LAMR. Think about a start position with the competitor seated in a chair. I certainly would not have the competitor LAMR while setting in the chair. Just a few more things to think about. :huh:

• 4 years later...
The Club Program Manual is packed with great information, but I have a problem with the section on RO'ing.

Under the heading "USE PROPER RANGE COMMANDS" page 54, it presents some of the commands improperly.

First comand?

"HAVE YOU READ AND UNDERSTOOD THE COURSE OF FIRE?"

Followed by;

"FACE DOWNRANGE, LOAD AND MAKE READY!"

Promoting improper range commands is causing trouble for USPSA members.

I am looking at the 4th ed, C2000.  Is there a newer version?

--------------------

I also sent this to Rob Boudrie, my AD.

Bump

Some of the ROs I have met on the local club level do this:

HAVEYOUREADANDUNDERSTOODTHECOURSEOFFIREthenFACEDOWNRANGEsitepictureLOADANMAKEREADY..(inser

1-10 seconds here)..BUZZZZZ

CLEARLYHADTOOMUCESPRESSOONTHEWAYTOTHERANGEIGOTTAPEESOHURRYUP phenomena :lol:

Some of the ROs I have met on the local club level do this:

HAVEYOUREADANDUNDERSTOODTHECOURSEOFFIREthenFACEDOWNRANGEsitepictureLOADANMAKEREADY..(inser

1-10 seconds here)..BUZZZZZ

CLEARLYHADTOOMUCESPRESSOONTHEWAYTOTHERANGEIGOTTAPEESOHURRYUP phenomena :lol:

Floyd I hope you can point me in the direction of this espesso shop 'cause maybe it can speed up my shooting as much as it did your talking or is that typing. :cheers:

Dowter,

There is absolutely nothing wrong speaking with the competitor while waiting for the range to be cleared and prior to issuing LAMR, and that is also why we must only use official range commands when it's time to get serious.

Everything else before LAMR is chit chat. As others have said, if the competitor is facing the wrong way, a simple hand gesture prior to LAMR will indicate you're about to issue the official range commands and that you're merely signalling the competitor to face downrange. If he doesn't understand the signal, asking him to face downrange is perfectly acceptable.

IPSC is supposed to be fun, and a good RO will make his competitor feel welcome and relaxed when he comes to the line. Having said that, when it's time to get down to business, the range commands should be given verbatim and in a clear, distinctive and unrushed manner.

If you want to save range time, rush the people taping targets and resetting steel, and get your assistant to have the next competitor ready to go before the previous competitor finishes his attempt at the COF.

The competitor on the line needs and deserves his "zen" time, so don't rush him or the commands.

+1

Bump

It's cool to see a 4 year old thread get bumped...

See how much things have chnaged.. I still miss Vince's input

I read this whole thread before I got to yours and realized how old it was. LOL. As a new shooter, it was time well spent I think.

I don't know if it was mentioned, but one of the big reasons to keep the commands precise with the exactly the same words is some competitors either don't speak English or it's a second language. The words they know are the proper commands. If you stray from these they may not understand what you want them to do. :o

Personally I gave up hope of ever hearing a proper range command. It makes life so much easier.

I only use proper commands so I can at least say I try to set an example.

My only protest is I generally refuse to do anything after "are you ready?" Read the damn rules already......I'm not going to say "yes" and I'm not going to nod my head or wiggle my toes. I'll most certainly say "NO" if I'm not ready.

A minor pet peeve.....

Range Commands

Shooter to the Line.

Range is Going Hot! (A courtesy yet, accompanied by Eyes and ears everyone)

Offical commands start here, unless our venerable Area Director is present, in which case the commands are:

OK Cowboy, Stoke It, Stroke It, Flick It, Stick It.

And of course at the end of the COF, for his benefit, there is always:

If you are done ammusing us, Unload and Show Clear, If Clear, (and this is for his benefit) SLIDE FORWARD, Hammer Down, Holster.

It is so much fun to watch George shuffle forward on the slide forward command.

Seriosly though, I like the new Make Ready as opposed to Load and Make Ready, First LAMR is redundent and also it can be confusing. We do have unloaded starts, Make ready covers all contingencies, LAMR is a command and if it is an unloaded start, then it is in direct conflict with the WSB. SOrt of like if we also included after LAMR a command to Holster and we were doing a table start.

Anyway, I like to have the commands straight forward, I also dislike having to nod, or speak at the ready point.

Shooter Ready? (pause) Standby (Pause about 2 seconds) BEEP!

Now, unless I screw the pooch, I don't want to hear anything from you until I am done with the COF. If I do screw up, then STOP is it. Or if there is a problem with the COF or a safety issue by all means scream stop. I don't want to hear muzzle, or finger, or anything else, If I breakl the 180, I am done, if I am on the 180 I am still good to go. If I am running and not engaging targets and my finger is on the trigger, AND you are 100% sure of this fro myour behind my back view point, then you have the right t stop me. If you are not 100% sure, PLEASE do not distract me. I have 12 seconds to run this COF and I am really trying to win and any additional outside interference is just wrong.

Please stay close enough to me so that if I get turned around in some odd way, you can do your duty to stop me and protect he rest of the people. Hold the timer so that I can hear it for the start and if it is a fixed time COF, hold the timer so I can hear it for the stop as well. DO NOT stand so close to me that I run you down. Occasionaly my old bones put it together and I move. Please do not tape targets before I can see them. THis is not the place to speed the match along. I really do want to see my two deltas, were they 1" apart or on opposite sides of the target? It is feedback I need to see.

Lastly, Thank you ROs for being there so I can shoot the match. Without you none of gets to play the greatest game on earth.

Jim