Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Things You Only Do Once -

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just read about half this thread, wow, how are still alive? here is mine, post 179 made me think of it. had it buried deep in my head, dont aussie rappel on 550 cord out of the 4th floor window. camp hansen after 2 or 3 days of a typhoon party, it hurts.

Wew, only got through page 5 of 14 pages. Lots of pain and stitches, if some of us had died we would have surely won a Darwin award.

Anybody:

Anyone swung a bat at a basketball too softly to move the ball significantly? I have. It bounced off the ball and smashed into my temple. Haven't done that again.

For my fellow disgruntled war veterans:

Things you only do once: enlist in the Marines (or service of choice).

Guy's story:

All day hike, chafed the tip of something most valuable to me and the only thing I had to prevent any further chafe was duct tape. I know what you may be thinking, but the tape did not cause injury in a typical fashion. I stay very well hydrated when I hike so I made sure to leave a hole. Well, when I finally did have to piss I felt a horrifying acid burn sensation. The tape had shifted and blocked the stream and redirected it to the chafing, talk about literal salt in the wound. To make it worse, some of the rogue stream ended up on my shorts to ensure that people would think I had pissed myself, the proverbial salt in the wound.

I will never again shoot a 12 ga. flare and then on seeing the metal capsule fall back to earth that had just finished burning at 1000+ degrees, run over gleefully and pick it up.

I will never again shoot at a turkey with a 3.5" 12ga. and my shoulder pressed against a tree.

Every shoot a turkey with a 12 ga. flare? lol Kill it and cook it in one shot? And for the record don't try this at home. :devil:

Joe W.

My latest: Wear a neck knife that occasionally falls out of its scabbard.

I hadn't worn it in a while, strictly because it occasionally fell out of its sheath, once resulting in a torn shirt. I threw caution to the wind, and it and it fell out as I get up from my chair (while I'm barefoot). Of course it fell point down and filleted the instep of my foot. Luckily, I was with a nurse who convinced me to go to the hospital after about an hour.

post-16106-126506969858_thumb.jpg

Jeff686, on 01 February 2010 - 08:13 PM, said:

Let's hear your 'Lessons Learned'. Any topic is allowed. Typically, they need not explain the bad thing that happened, just describe conditions or situations to avoid. I enjoy using my imagination to recreate the event.

Examples:

Before playing one-on-one basketball, remove any pencils protruding from your back pocket.

Avoid using a mechanic's creeper after cleaning spilt live primers from the garage floor.

Don't use a vacuum to clean spilt gunpowder.

Do you have an actual lesson learned or are you just repeating things you've heard? I sweep up large quantities of powder, but I use the vacuum on small quantities all the time.

Never walk behing someone shoveling snow. The shovel might just hit you in the face.

To avoid being called Monkey Boy.. Never try to chop down a small dead tree with a dull axe. The top of the tree might just break off, fall down and hit you in the face.

Always use the break instead of the gas when stopping a snowmobile. Especially when it's in front of a cinder block burn box.

Chris

Edited by Yoder

• 3 weeks later...

Listen to your drunk buddy when you're hauling ass across the bay ahead of a thunderstorm and he says 'you can make it, there's a cut through that sand bar!' :blink: .

Been there! Spent the next 3 hours trying to drag, push, dig sand, anything to get the boat moving again.

Finish up some plumbing on a building with 50 business suites in it at the end of a 12 hour day, and open the water valve slowly to half way. I went to the suite I worked on and there were no leaks. I went back to the main on the way out and turned the quarter turn valve all of the way. Handle was perpendicular to the pipe. The next morning I get a call, on the way back to the same site, from my boss asking if I turned the water back on. I realized I turned it off instead of on.

I'm not trying to slam you here, but are you a licensed master plumber, or at least a journeyman? I would guess not (since you were painting signs later?) so what were you doing working on plumbing? I am a licensed master plumber, and for a building of this size, how did you get to work on anything with a domestic water connection? I'm guessing no inspectors were involved! :surprise:

Again, not trying to be snippy to you, but that's a total apprentice mistake. Oh well, at least it worked out. Glad the building didn't flood or a fitting blow apart as I'll bet your insurance wouldn't cover it if you're not a licensed plumbing company. It doesn't even have to be your work, sometimes another person before you didn't do a good job and it blows apart when you touch it! Or even contaminating the public water supply if you don't know what you're doing. Something to think about at least - liability of working outside your trade - if this applies.

I guess hearing this just struck a nerve with me this morning, sorry.

I'd hate to see it if you were slamming him :roflol:

fwiw

dj

All of the listed work was maintenance, as I work for a property management company/general contractor. I am not at all new to plumbing, but when finishing up a 12 hr day even a master plumber it is possible to make mistakes. I opened the main shut off slowly and stopped at half way. I didn't want to create an air hammer and I didn't want the full flow of a 2" line running if there was a leak. After I finished the suite and closed up, I stopped back by the main valve to turn it on completely. This plumbing job included replacing angle stops, supply lines, and a faucet in the restroom and bar area of one suite.

I would be considered a master painter by most people (15 years experience), but I do not claim to be a master plumber. I do great work in a number of different trades. I am basically a working foreman. Our company is not big, so I do a lot of repair/maintenance work, and most of the painting with the help of a couple co workers. On the bigger stuff, like build outs, we hire subs and I oversee the projects while working on what is needed. My coworkers and I only do work that meets code. Our major projects are permitted. The work performed for flipping business suites is mostly cosmetic. I doubt that any contractor would bother with looking into a permit for the work being done and I doubt that a permit would at all be necessary.

Most of the build outs done in these types of suites (in the 350+ suites that I normally work on) are not permitted. My employer has actually gotten after the property managers and owners of the buildings, to enforce using licensed contractors and pulling permits. The amount of illegal, dangerous, crappy work that I run across and have to fix is amazing. The electrical is the worst part. These tenants or their cheap labor, think that you can run romex in a commercial building and connect the wires with wire nut and not boxes clamps, or staples.

I know first hand that dealing with permits, licensed vs. unlicensed contractors, and laws are a pain in the ass. On one hand there are people who know what they are doing, but don't have the proper licenses, so they are limited as to what they can do. Then, you have the people who think they know what they are doing, or just don't card, and they do crap work as well as under bid the legit guy. Then there are the licensed pros who screw over the property manager and charge two or three times what our company would. I am glad that I work for a great boss/friend and don't have to be responsible for all of the legal crap that goes with owning a business. I always tease my boss that he is living the American dream. People ask me why I don't work for myself, and usually they don't realize what it takes to be successful in the construction industry.

Our company also has a few in house crews that do steam cleaning and carpet cleaning for restaurants and other venues such as Dodger stadium, LA Staples center, Nokia Live, and other commercial buildings. One of the restaurant chains keeps trying to get our prices down. They say that company X can do it for half the cost. When my boss asked if they carried the proper insurance and permits from the cities they work in, they didn't have much to say. This restaurant chain requires us to carry insurance on our trucks and people that has a coverage rate in the millions of dollars. We also run full recovery equipment and are in some of the cities near us, the only steam cleaning crew that has been approved to clean in that city. Some of the permits to clean in Beverly Hills cost hundreds of dollars for each time that we clean one of our stops. My boss has been able to get the city to reduce the cost on some of the permits. We run top of the line equipment and have great results because of it. Some of our competitors run something like the more expensive pressure washers that home depot has. It costs an easy $50.000 to put together one of our washing trucks plus business expenses. I could only imagine how much it must cost per day just to break even.

End of Rant

I have learned from my mistakes, but I have learned even more from others mistakes.

My father was a residential plumber for 35 years, seen my share of mistakes. Many times, he'd just let me make them, to see how it turned out. Once, while standing on the top of an 8' ladder, using a Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" right angle drill, with a 4" hole saw bit, drilling a hole through a plywood roof for a stack, the bit grabbed, spun me off the ladder, with the trigger on the drill being where it was (you depressed it with your trigger finger), I couldn't let go of the trigger. It continued to spin me, 15' off the ground, until the entire extension cord wrapped around me and pulled itself free of the outlet. I was 15....

Another time, connecting a subdivisions houses to city water, I was told to get down in the ditch, with another drill with a 1 1/2" hole saw bit, and drill through a 16" water main to put a saddle clamp on. Dad was up top, extension cord in his hands, ready to unplug at the first sign of water. I remember asking him about the pressure in the pipe, he said, don't worry about it, it's only 20 - 30 psi. When the bit finally broke through, it pushed the drill straight up, flipping it 180 degrees, flinging it out of my hands, then the 1 1/2" stream of 20 psi water hit me under the chin, lifted me off the pipe, backwards into the mud. When I finally got my bearings and looked up, the water looked like it was shooting 100' straight up. Dad was laying on the ground, behind a mound of dirt, laughing so hard he was crying. Needless to say, I learned alot about pressure that day. There is another story with he and I about fishing, but I'll save it for later.

Edited by GrumpyOne

Another guy only ...

When cinching down the legstraps of your skydiving rig, make sure none of your 'package' is caught under the straps. It will be painfully obvious of your error on canopy deployment.

Every male jumper I know has done this, once. One did it twice but I think he enjoyed it.

I can top that!!

In skydiving,your 1000th jump is a very big deal.You try yo make it something different.

I picked my best buddies and talked them into jumping nude. Eight of us.We jumped at 10,500,

did some relative work,then some after stars.Tracked away and opened at 2000 feet.Leg straps

caught my balls so bad I thought I was going to die!!! Landed a long way from the drop zone

and could not get up!Some people,not skydivers,saw me land and came over to see if I was hurt.

There I was laying there in a fetal position nude! GREAT!

Years later I look at that recorded jump in my log book and cringe!

TOP THAT!

Another guy only ...

When cinching down the legstraps of your skydiving rig, make sure none of your 'package' is caught under the straps. It will be painfully obvious of your error on canopy deployment.

Every male jumper I know has done this, once. One did it twice but I think he enjoyed it.

I can top that!!

In skydiving,your 1000th jump is a very big deal.You try yo make it something different.

I picked my best buddies and talked them into jumping nude. Eight of us.We jumped at 10,500,

did some relative work,then some after stars.Tracked away and opened at 2000 feet.Leg straps

caught my balls so bad I thought I was going to die!!! Landed a long way from the drop zone

and could not get up!Some people,not skydivers,saw me land and came over to see if I was hurt.

There I was laying there in a fetal position nude! GREAT!

Years later I look at that recorded jump in my log book and cringe!

TOP THAT!

"Hello, police? There are naked men falling from the sky."

"What's that officer? No, I haven't been drinking."

"No, sir, I don't do drugs either."

"Yes, really. I think one of them is hurt."

"No, this is not a joke."

"I already told you. Naked men. Sky. One hurt."

"Hello? Hello? Anyone there?"

Jump School Fort Benning,GA 1962

The 250ft tower with four arms extending from the top. You were harnessed up and the winch pulled you up to the end of that arm, the chute being held open by clips on large metal ring. The DI would comment about the beautiful view of Ft. Benning etc. during the trip up. This was much higher than this ole country boy had ever been by climbing in a tree. When it hit the top you heard a ding sound and away you went.

The instructions were to pull a slip away from the tower when you were released. I guess the additional boost from adrenalne made the pull snapper than usual helping a gust of wind to collapse the chute. I am facing the tower and the thought crossed my mind "those metal braces on the tower sure are passing by really fast". I heard the DI screaming about that time "shake it out on number three" and I realized "oh shit that's me". I did as instructed and the chute popped open and a second or two later I landed in the soft sand at he base of the tower. The DI rushed over and after determining that I had no visible injuries he instructed me to get to my feet. I did and he reamed me out good and the part that stuck was "do you realize you almost ruined my safety record".

Here's a new one from this weekend!

Never throw the can of white spray paint on the ground in front of the steel target. Always make sure it is behind it or take the dang thing with you! I now have one pair of shooting glasses, pants, jacket, hat, etc. with a fine coat of white from a spatter punctured spray can! <_<

Never throw the can of white spray paint on the ground in front of the steel target. Always make sure it is behind it or take the dang thing with you! I now have one pair of shooting glasses, pants, jacket, hat, etc. with a fine coat of white from a spatter punctured spray can! <_<

Sorry....but that is funny! :cheers:

Sorry....but that is funny! :cheers:

Oh, it is very funny now, but took me a few minutes to start laughing! :D

My father was a residential plumber for 35 years, seen my share of mistakes. Many times, he'd just let me make them, to see how it turned out. Once, while standing on the top of an 8' ladder, using a Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" right angle drill, with a 4" hole saw bit, drilling a hole through a plywood roof for a stack, the bit grabbed, spun me off the ladder, with the trigger on the drill being where it was (you depressed it with your trigger finger), I couldn't let go of the trigger. It continued to spin me, 15' off the ground, until the entire extension cord wrapped around me and pulled itself free of the outlet. I was 15....

Another time, connecting a subdivisions houses to city water, I was told to get down in the ditch, with another drill with a 1 1/2" hole saw bit, and drill through a 16" water main to put a saddle clamp on. Dad was up top, extension cord in his hands, ready to unplug at the first sign of water. I remember asking him about the pressure in the pipe, he said, don't worry about it, it's only 20 - 30 psi. When the bit finally broke through, it pushed the drill straight up, flipping it 180 degrees, flinging it out of my hands, then the 1 1/2" stream of 20 psi water hit me under the chin, lifted me off the pipe, backwards into the mud. When I finally got my bearings and looked up, the water looked like it was shooting 100' straight up. Dad was laying on the ground, behind a mound of dirt, laughing so hard he was crying. Needless to say, I learned alot about pressure that day. There is another story with he and I about fishing, but I'll save it for later.

Great stories!

My dad did the milwaukee hole hawg spin on our back patio. He was trying to drill a patio ceiling that was made of plywood siding with a 6" hole saw to install can lights. He was on two ladders and a plank until the bit caught and threw him off. He ended up on the ground looking up at a hole hawg stuck in the ceiling. He proceeded to do it one more time before finishing the job. Luckily for him, the plank was only a couple feet off the ground. I have learned to cheat with large bits by using the highest setting on the clutch and drilling with light pressure when possible. I use the Milwaukee V28 cordless tools. The drill is like the hole hawg of corded tools. It is easy to get your hands smashed or, as my boss did, get smacked in the face if your not careful.

Alright, the fishing story. My dad and I were out cast netting for mullet in a little town called Cedar Key, FL, in this old indian settlement called Shell Mound. Bear in mind, my father at this time was around 55 years old and had never learned to swim (I was 14-15 at the time). We had a 14' Orlando Clipper "V" bottom aluminum boat, with a 20 HP Mercury outboard on it. That thing would literally fly! Anyway, I'm standing on the bow rail on the front of the boat, this 14' cast net coiled in my hands, lead line in my teeth, and he is driving. He sees me getting ready to throw the net, and he twists the throttle and yanks the tiller arm in the opposite direction of my throw, tossing me like a rag doll off the bow rail into this muddy salt water about 5' deep, wrapped up in the cast net (don't worry, I'm an excellent swimmer!). I finally get up out of the muck, see the boat, but no dad. I start yelling, DAD!, DAD! He's in the bottom of the boat laughing....Ok, I laugh too...Get back in the boat, back on my perch, tell him how funny that was, but don't do it again or I'm gonna throw a damn fish at him. The S.O.B. did it to me again! I climb back in, start throwing fish at him, bouncing them off of him, him laughing so hard he's starting to cry. Alright son, I won't do it again. I tell him B.S,! Take me back to shore, get your own damn fish!

• 1 month later...

Thumb behind the slide.

And, for new Open shooters, thumb behind the racker.

I did that with my first Glock - got a good scar out of it and my grip improved instantly. I tell people I did it to have a visual aid for my classes when I teach grip. ...... they don't believe it either.