Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

I had a reload show up as a .98 during the Pres down there WITH a mag hanging in the grip that realistically was a 1.3, recorded 18 shots too and I only shot 12. Said I shot a 5.20something Pres with a 1.4 turn and a 1.3 reload? Nope. Gotta be really careful with the timers indoors, they do really strange things.

I'm going to mark that timer and keep an eye on it. Maybe I'll tape it back to back with mine and run some drills and see what happens.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.9 draw with .19 splits. That is cookin pretty good.

I couldn't do that. My best is like 2.04

yeah, I am lucky to run a bill drill to an open target @ 7y at that speed.

The run before that was 2.34 and I know that was valid, but there just had to be a problem with that last one.

What's the procedure for that if it happens? I mean if were talking .5 who's to say?

4.6.1 Range equipment must present the challenge fairly and equitably

to all competitors. Range equipment failure includes, but is not

limited to, the displacement of paper targets, the premature activation

of metal or moving targets, the malfunction of mechanically

or electrically operated equipment, and the failure of props

such as openings, ports, and barriers.

Edited by JThompson

• 3 months later...

I was shooting some more racks at 25 and I think it's a great drill. After I had run maybe 6 runs or so I walked up to about 12y and ran three from there. My best run was 2.5s. Open gear from the draw hands at sides. I'm much better than I was when I posted those numbers before. I don't see how the hell they could have been valid unless I was just pointing and spraying and got lucky. The 2.5 was, I feel, the best run I ever made. I was shooting as fast as I could see. There's no way in hell anything under that was other than luck

Draw 1.28

Looking back on those numbers I'm surprised you guys didn't just laugh and tell me I was full of shit.

JT

Edited by JThompson

Gotta love plate rack practice. I never posted about my runs, but I got to do some work with them before the snow hit. I was pushing for under 2.0 and never quite got there. I think my best was in the 2.1 ish range with a production EAA stock. I think the year before I managed a 2.02 with a limited gun and powder puff loads.

Gotta love plate rack practice. I never posted about my runs, but I got to do some work with them before the snow hit. I was pushing for under 2.0 and never quite got there. I think my best was in the 2.1 ish range with a production EAA stock. I think the year before I managed a 2.02 with a limited gun and powder puff loads.

I was shooting 172 pf PD 115s

Edited by JThompson

My best at 15 yds is at 5.6 from the holster. It is one of my favorite drills, and a good test of transitions and sight control. I am more focused on no misses rather than raw speed...center of plate hits. Accuracy first, speed will come.

I like it even better when I remember to bring my rope so I don't even have to walk downrange to reset them...just a good tug and they're reset :D

I'm a B limited shooter. At 10 yds from hands at sides I've shot 3.25 which is not great but I'm really having trouble with the draw. My draw is 1.6 to 1.8. I can hit A on paper with a 1.2 draw, but if I try to push it on plates I always miss the first plate. I can't seem to get through the mental block. If I can get the draw figured out I know I can break 3 sec which would be great for my skill level. Anybody got any tips for draw. (I know dry fire a lot)

I'm a B limited shooter. At 10 yds from hands at sides I've shot 3.25 which is not great but I'm really having trouble with the draw. My draw is 1.6 to 1.8. I can hit A on paper with a 1.2 draw, but if I try to push it on plates I always miss the first plate. I can't seem to get through the mental block. If I can get the draw figured out I know I can break 3 sec which would be great for my skill level. Anybody got any tips for draw. (I know dry fire a lot)

Paint the steel brown ;)

If you can do a 1.2 on paper, it should be the same on plate. 6x11 A-zone hit is not that's much bigger than a 8" plate.

AIM (don't shoot at) 2/3 to 3/4 high on plate, you don't need to hit it exactly dead-center. If you jerk the trigger, you'll most likely pull it low, but it will still hit...sometimes.

• 3 months later...

I have been stalking this thread for a while and started to pay attention to my plate rack times. Here what I had the other day in practice.

Open - 175 PF

Surrender Draw

Trying to get it down to 2.0 but I have misses so I am not ready for that speed yet.

• 3 weeks later...
How many times have you watched as a shooter starts zipping along...3 plates in a row...then, as if on cue, they miss the 4th plate.

I always attributed that to shooting a cadence (read: vision is turned off). Burkett pointed out another factor, that the shooters stance wasn't stable enough and the shooter was being pushed out of position by recoil.

I had to go back and drag this one to the front... It's the same issue I have been working through. I found that I was using front sight focus for the first few, but then would change to target focus and blow the 4th-5th plates. I finally had some good runs keeping my focus pulled back to the sights. Strange having to learn all this stuff after mowing them down with an open. You realy have to put the ego aside and learn what you need to see and isolate that trigger because it's much more critical on the short gun with a long pull. I tend to slap it with the open....

JT

2.02? What do you think you are some kinda GM or what? :P You should see me with my little PX4 Matt. What a hoot.... my damn thumb is almost to the front of the barrel when I shoot the thing. It looks like I have semi-auto hands. hehe

Ha, now don't go an get powder burns on your fingers!

I'd go play with my SS gear and shoot the rack, but both of them are broken at my club. One has 4 plates, and the other had 5 until the last match, now it only has 4 too :o

Ha, now don't go an get powder burns on your fingers!

I'd go play with my SS gear and shoot the rack, but both of them are broken at my club. One has 4 plates, and the other had 5 until the last match, now it only has 4 too :o

I keep getting a ghost image with both eyes open, so I've started taping the left. When I get the glasses for near and far eyes I will try it without the tape. I can shoot without it, but I sometimes get a double target which makes it very hard to call a shot.

The best PX4 plate rack time to date is 3.45 :unsure: ~sigh~

There is only 1 functioning plate rack out of 4, where I shoot, and it has 4" plates. There is a world of difference between 6" and 4" at 15 yards, much less 20. It took me 12 seconds to clear all six plates with 4 mikes at 20. :wacko:

last plate rack I shot was with a friends new Kimber custom 2 .45 w 230gr. white box so I don't think it counts but the best I did on it then w his brand new gun was 3.45. I will have to see if I can get under 3 with my limited .40 major loads. I imagine I could shave close to half a second with my lim. guns and probably closer to a full second w my open blaster. Maybe I'll buy a plate rack for live practice. I always wanted one since the one at the ol range is pneumatic and people shoot the hoses all the time or break the rack/timer. I now have a CED 7000 but when the plates are down.. there down.

• 4 weeks later...

Now I know how bad ass that really is.....

EDIT: I never knew what it took to do something like that with irons... It's so far beyond a dot as to be another species. :o

Edited by JThompson

I am 3 weeks out of back surgury ( two lowest vertibre fused ) so I am working on the stand and shoot stuff. Did a bunch of plate rack runs yesterday at 12 yards. Best time was 1.98, average was around 2.13 slowest was 2.35. This was all with a limited gun. First shot was usually around .77 although I did get a .68 about mid way through. I am a M class pistol shooter, and I know you guys are going to think that I am embelishing the results a bit, but these were the actual times, and the timer is working perfectly, and I didn't even use spreaders, just good old 12ga. ounce and an 1/8th # 7 1/2s from Federal :roflol: Why would I want to use a pistol?? KurtM

I am 3 weeks out of back surgury ( two lowest vertibre fused ) so I am working on the stand and shoot stuff. Did a bunch of plate rack runs yesterday at 12 yards. Best time was 1.98, average was around 2.13 slowest was 2.35. This was all with a limited gun. First shot was usually around .77 although I did get a .68 about mid way through. I am a M class pistol shooter, and I know you guys are going to think that I am embelishing the results a bit, but these were the actual times, and the timer is working perfectly, and I didn't even use spreaders, just good old 12ga. ounce and an 1/8th # 7 1/2s from Federal :roflol: Why would I want to use a pistol?? KurtM

hahahahaha - Man that was great!!!

How did the back surgery come out?