Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

just got my new limited blaster for it's 2k shakedown run before final tweaks and plating.

It's a short dustcover bull gun and I love how quick it feels. I don't notice any difference in target splits but transitions are faster, especially going back to pick up a missed plate.

Anyway, reason for posting this here is, I pushed back my best plate rack times by over .2 seconds.

Old Best was a 2.98, new best was a 2.72, then a 2.74 with a 1.15 draw.

I can't wait to get it back and get practicing hard, I wantto break 2.5 by the FL Open.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, TL. I am a big fan of working on what I am the worst at. It is harder on your ego, but when you improve it's a greater sense of accomplishment.

Plates are my worst, and right now I have no time to practice. I am working up a little "workout" on them so I can gauge progress at different times and locations. I don't need to paste or really paint and can get a good workout even if I have only an hour or so at the range.

I hear from a buddy that went to Blackwater for some tactical stuff that they call plate rack "pistol PT" or something like that and start every day with it

These are the drills I am playing around with right now:

Runs at 10, 15 and 25 to practice the differrent focus types. Both directions, right now my best one way is only .02 off my best the other way.

outside in and inside out for transitions.

"El Plate" where I start facing hands relaxed and shoot three plates, reload and shoot three plates. That one is tough but for some reason my transitions get faster through this. I have had plate to plate splits down as fast as .26 which is faster than I ever do on a normal run.

Normal (as in good and not trashed) runs the plate to plate times at ten yards hover around .30 to .35.

I have my draw down to around 1.15 and as fast as 1.02. I am not sweeping the gun free, so I figure the draw is safe and will hold up, plus it works with cary / IDPA rigs. I am pretty happy with a 1.15 to a plate.

Reloads on that "El Plate" Drill run around 1.25, but again it's from a plate to a plate so I am ok with it.

Paper seems awful big after plates.

What are you guys doing?

EL PLATE is just a drill I was running. I could say I made it up, but I am sure someone started doing it before I did.

10 yards, hands relaxed. At the beep draw and shoot over three plates, make a reload and shoot over the remaining three plates.

IT's tough, it gives you a good draw time, to a plate at ten, a couple of plate to plate splits and a reload to a plate. Whatever times you put up on this should seem easy on paper.

My best runs were roughly:

1.15 draw

.30 split plate to plate

.30 split plate to plate

1.25 reload

.30 plate to plate

.30 plate to plate

Sub four is a good run for me on this.

DP40 ... thanks for sharing those drills with us. I like the sound of them, especially the El Plates.

Other than overall suckage, my primary weakness is plate racks. I can shoot the same plates if they're sitting on a post or something, but as soon as you put six of them on a rack, I can't hit them. In 1999, I shot a GSSF match and hit a total of three (3) plates on all of my runs combined.

If I wanted to knock them all down, I'd still be there shooting.

Methinks BigTruckJim (aka JimStC) needs a nice plate rack for his back yard . . .

• 1 month later...

Today after an IDPA match I went and practiced the rack again. A friend of mine (Master CDP/A-class Limited) was pushing me and heckeling me, so I was focused. Out of my IDPA rig with a SSP legal G35 I hit my best time ever with this setup, a 2.71. That's only .05 off of my best ever run with a Limited rig, so now I gotta see what I can really get.

in order to be technically correct, el Plate is not the right term for that drill. It should be called VICE PLATO ^_^

If you want to do a turn at the beep thats the EL PLATO :D

on the plate rack my best time was a 4.2. Sorry gotta go and shoot some el plato since my stomach is el hungro.

From draw or low ready? If that was from the draw, I'm in deep kaka at next year's shootoff's. :o

From low ready ... he was doing a demo of the Glock Plates course of fire at the big GSSF match at Atlanta. How many tenths would he add by drawing? Probably not that many!

I don't know the kid, so I have no idea if he was just playing it cool at a really good run, or if it really was just a ho-hum thing. In any case, it was impressive and he was very smooth and steady.

Kid, haha. We are the exact same age, so I guess I'm in that category. Anyhow, Dave has been like that every time I have seen him or talked to him. Just kinda always plays everything cool, very low-key.

I think from low-ready you can gain .4-.5 over drawing. If you had told me he had done that from the holster, I would be thinking about surrendering before Nats this year. :D

Kid, haha. We are the exact same age, so I guess I'm in that category. Anyhow, Dave has been like that every time I have seen him or talked to him. Just kinda always plays everything cool, very low-key.

If you're under 35, you're a "kid" in my book! :lol:

I would think that kind of tempermant would be good for consistency when shooting courses of fire, especially since he can obviously turn on the juice when he wants. There are a lot of really fast guys who "vibrate" all the time, and they tend to (at least from what I've seen) crash more often and harder than the guys who stay cool even when they make the rare mistake or two.

I think from low-ready you can gain .4-.5 over drawing.  If you had told me he had done that from the holster, I would be thinking about surrendering before Nats this year.  :D

I admire your confidence, but keep practicing! ;)

I'm too old and tired to even fantasize about shooting a plate rack that fast, much less actually practice hard enough to even come close. I'm happy when I can actually hit a few of the plates, regardless of my time.

I just saw that young punk Dave Sevigny do a 2.20 second run with a G34 on the Glock plate rack on "Shooting Gallery." He was all, like, no big deal. :blink:

[sorrythreaddrift]

Rhino, is there a link you can provide where I can download that video? The only time I've seen Dave S shooting was the man-on-man with that Mink guy. ;):D Anybody know anymore links of vids with Dave running a stage? Thanks.

[/sorrythreaddrift]

Rhino, is there a link you can provide where I can download that video?

Hey, MC!

It was not a video you can download. It was this week's episode of "Shooting Gallery" on the Outdoor Network. If you can't see the show where you live, you might want to contact mbane to see if he can send a tape to you.

nobody seems to be putitng up their own times anymore, but I bumped back my personal best last week. went from a 2.72 to a 2.66. I also had a 2.58 with a miss.

My draw still sux at around 1.15 to a plate, but things are better all the way around. Last year just before the FGN my bests were 2.98 and 2.99.

My goal was to get into the 2.5's before the FL Open. Not sure if that can happen, but I should have MY OWN guns back this week to start practicing. The gun I am borrowing now won't run and prints a dinner plate sized group at 15y.

I know, I know don't french kiss a gift horse.....

I'd post my times, but I don't have any. I've only "cleared" the plate rack one time in my life, and that was with seven shots. I don't recall the time, but it was from low ready and not the holster.

The next time I get timed, I'll post it. Then we'll have a benchmark for truly sucking at plate racks!