Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

12 guage 3 weeks out of fusion surgery is exactly what my Dr. recommended. that and plenty of low ports! I didn't touch a gun for 2 months after the same surgery but I sure as hell wanted to! Congrats on an obviously successful operation, Kurt! not to change the subject, but did they go in from the front or back?

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the back! I already checked with the doc and he said okay as long as it doesn't cause twisting motion, which it doesn't. No low ports or side to side running, but a nice 10 min mile pace of jogging is okay. It was nice to shoot again!!! KurtM

From the back! I already checked with the doc and he said okay as long as it doesn't cause twisting motion, which it doesn't. No low ports or side to side running, but a nice 10 min mile pace of jogging is okay. It was nice to shoot again!!! KurtM

they went in through the back on mine too. Seems to be a much safer practice than pulling your inards out and setting them next to you...

my dr. wanted to play it real safe and said to do as much walking as possible and If I'm going to run and gun to wait at least 6 months; no low ports or twisting. wear a tortoise shell regardless. My Dr. hasn't even started me on pt yet except to walk, walk and more walk. Your on the super highway to recovery it seems. good for you. Keep it up. :cheers:

Was on my way to my old range to shoot a plate rack w my new/used 6" Cheely gun while in town after seeing this thread up again. packed the bag, 10rd mags, the CED, filled up the truck and jumped into traffic! realized a guy recovering from pneumonia shouldn't go nuts on the 405 for 2 hours to travel 30 miles. Got off at the next exit, went home and wished I just sat in it as I would probably be takin down steel as I write this. :angry2: I'm going to recover one more day and leave early to the range tomorrow. post my results when I return some time tom. evening... talk about cabin fever! :rolleyes:

Edited by SV_shooter

My best at 15 yds is at 5.6 from the holster. It is one of my favorite drills, and a good test of transitions and sight control. I am more focused on no misses rather than raw speed...center of plate hits. Accuracy first, speed will come.

I like it even better when I remember to bring my rope so I don't even have to walk downrange to reset them...just a good tug and they're reset :D

Ran it yesterday AM in a quick 45 minute practice. Time down to 4.9 clean. Miles to go, but an improvement.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been doing some plate rack practice with my Ruger 22/45. I don't have a holster so my practice is from low draw. My best run to date from 10 yards:

Date May 15 2009

Time 2.40

plate 1=.92

plate 2=.32

plate 3=.30

plate 4=.29

plate 5=.30

plate 6=.27

Good cheap fun.

I'll never run it under 2.5 at 15 yards, shooting splits under .3 on a plate rack or a draw to a plate under a second won't ever win a match. Not missing a plate might win you a match. Sure, time it out and hit a smoking draw and I could probably do 2.0 but could I do it ten times in a row? Odds get into lottery territory. Consistent runs in the low 3's at 15 yards were what I was shooting last time out, mid 3's to 3.8's at 28 yards which is as far as I could get away from the rack. Do 5 runs and don't throw out any of the times. Run it with a decent draw and .50 splits, .40 splits and .30 splits, and then do the math. Which approach wins?

I'll never run it under 2.5 at 15 yards, shooting splits under .3 on a plate rack or a draw to a plate under a second won't ever win a match. Not missing a plate might win you a match. Sure, time it out and hit a smoking draw and I could probably do 2.0 but could I do it ten times in a row? Odds get into lottery territory. Consistent runs in the low 3's at 15 yards were what I was shooting last time out, mid 3's to 3.8's at 28 yards which is as far as I could get away from the rack. Do 5 runs and don't throw out any of the times. Run it with a decent draw and .50 splits, .40 splits and .30 splits, and then do the math. Which approach wins?

I'm not talking about winning a match here... I'm talking about a fast as you can balls to to wall run. How many of us are ever going to win a major? It's fun to knock one out of the park. I think to often people dismiss these things. Splits don't win matches, this doesn't win matches that doesn't win matches. How many of the people saying those things are actually winning matches? While those statements may be true, most of us are never going to win a major, so if we can rip a plate rack off, and in doing so, do it as well as it can be done, then we have our little piece. Just because something "doesn't win matches" does not mean it has no value, esp to those that are doing it. ;)

Also, I submit that anything you chose to do shooting can be a learning experience and therefore useful to you as a shooter. Whether that be a smoking run on a plate rack or the 3.0 El Prez. It's all shooting and the faster you can go at the limit of function the faster you can go when you back it down a bit to match speed. It's all relevant.

Edited by JThompson

I see it as wasting ammo that I could use productively. I think ALL of us want to become better shooters whether we win matches or not, and I think there is a lot more to be learned practicing things other than stand and blast skills or ripping super fast plate rack runs hoping to get a keeper out of a pile of turds. Do the runs at 50's, 40's and 30's, shoot until all the plates are down and add them up to see which one wins. Plates are great for visual patience but you won't learn ripping hopers....

I was shooting Limited the other day on the plate rack, I've done 2.20 with an Open gun and a 2.40 with Limited but I can't walk to the line and deliver it on demand.

6 runs without a miss, total time. That is an interesting subject to me and IMO a lot more indicative of my current ability than a lucky run I can't duplicate.....

IMO.

Sure you need to work on other things other than stand and shoot.

It is only wasting ammo if your not paying attention to what is happening.

You must push way past your comfort zone to make progress but if you do not pay attention to what is happening when you are really pushing then you will not learn anything. ;)

I very rarely time myself in practice because I feel it pulls my attention away from what I should be doing. I use the timer for the start and don't look at what the time was. Because in the end it doesn't really matter what the time was on that day.

BK

I'll agree that there are other things which can make more substantial gains than ripping a plate rack, but I don't see the other runs as a pile of turds. I try and learn from each run and find the place where I screwed up and rectify it.

I want to shoot more steel challenge type matches and I think this type of practice is perfect for that. I will never be as fleet footed as some, but that's not what it takes to shoot steel. ;) It would be nice to be more well rounded and I am going to the range today and work on some things I fell flat on last evening.

Are you shooting the Drazy Howard?

I see it as wasting ammo that I could use productively. I think ALL of us want to become better shooters whether we win matches or not, and I think there is a lot more to be learned practicing things other than stand and blast skills or ripping super fast plate rack runs hoping to get a keeper out of a pile of turds. Do the runs at 50's, 40's and 30's, shoot until all the plates are down and add them up to see which one wins. Plates are great for visual patience but you won't learn ripping hopers....

I was shooting Limited the other day on the plate rack, I've done 2.20 with an Open gun and a 2.40 with Limited but I can't walk to the line and deliver it on demand.

6 runs without a miss, total time. That is an interesting subject to me and IMO a lot more indicative of my current ability than a lucky run I can't duplicate.....

I like your 50, 40, 30 idea. Might give it a try for the Big Dawg...

My best times last year were 2.67 with open and 2.99 with limited.

Craig, I hope to see you guys at the Big Dawg this year. I shot with Manny last year, who won IIRC. I shot about 200 rounds less than he did for the match, and he killed me so shooting fast isn't necessarily a bad idea. I shot just over 400 rounds for the match. But, I still think knowing what YOU can do and taking that to the match is the right idea. Much better than poking and hoping for us mere mortals. Manny is an animal on steel, was a hoot to shoot with him.

Jim, I would really like to make the Drazy match but it isn't looking good right now, long story but if there is any way I can be there I will. I will be shooting Limited if I go, my Open gun is sidelined other than half of the Pro-Am for the rest of the year as things stand now.

My homemade plate rack (paper plates) has been very beneficial to me. Roughly a year ago I was running low to mid four second runs at twelve yards. Now controlled (not nuts out) runs are 3.0 flat consistently. The biggest benefit is at matches that have had plate racks, I've been going one for one at reasonable speeds every time.

Craig, I hope to see you guys at the Big Dawg this year. I shot with Manny last year, who won IIRC. I shot about 200 rounds less than he did for the match, and he killed me so shooting fast isn't necessarily a bad idea. I shot just over 400 rounds for the match. But, I still think knowing what YOU can do and taking that to the match is the right idea. Much better than poking and hoping for us mere mortals. Manny is an animal on steel, was a hoot to shoot with him.

Jim, I would really like to make the Drazy match but it isn't looking good right now, long story but if there is any way I can be there I will. I will be shooting Limited if I go, my Open gun is sidelined other than half of the Pro-Am for the rest of the year as things stand now.

Ya, we'll be at the Big Dawg for sure. I watched Manny shoot the donuts and he was mad that he had to eat a 3.11 ...

See ya at the Pro-Am, looks like you're shooting the same days as us...

• 3 months later...

I've been doing more plate rack practice (with my Smith 22A this time) and scored a new personal best. Practice was from 10 yards shooting at 8 inch plates. I did change things up a bit from previous runs by using the description for "low draw" from the Steel Challange site as opposed to just pointing the muzzle 3 feet in front of me.

There will be a flag centered downrange on the ground, approximately 12’ from the

shooter’s box. The competitor must wait for the command to fire while pointing/aiming

their gun at the flag.

Total time: 2.13

plate 1. .69

2. .36

3. .30

4. .29

5. .23

6. .26

I had several other runs between 2.37 and 2.56. I was using Blaser ammo and it seemed to agree with the Smith.......

as long as I keep it clean.

• 1 month later...