Plate rack times

Steve Moneypenny

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glocks don't count as race guns ;)

Chris,

You have to keep up with the news. I bought a STI from Holt. I sent a big stick to Grams for the works and will be ready to play.

Besides, I have looked at the script and I don't see where it says "B-Class shooter speaks". :P

• 1 year later...

Got all excited, thought I had a new PB. Turns out I didn't.

CZ 75 SP-01, Production rig, 147gr bullets: Cold run was a 2.41 with a 1.25 draw. Next one was a 2.35 with a 1.25 draw. Thought I beat my old PB with that one, but it turned out to be a 2.28.

But anyway, I am stoked that I hit a 2.41 completely cold.

I think I posted it a year or so ago, but back when I was shooting plates I made my goal of a 2.50 run, seems like it was Feb of 04. That's still my best.

I quit going for speed then and when I get to now I usually end up shooting the Bianchi pars. I shot a 3 yesterday cold, alternating LR and RL, all standing. I try to keep the runs par-2. I'm looking forward to another clean run.....someday <_<

• 1 month later...
GSSF plate racks I can keep around 4 seconds usually, but that was after I had only been shooting GSSF or any competition for about 2-3 months.

I did 6 plates at exactly the same time. But i guess you did it "from the holster" ? Ik didn't do it that way. I started at 45 degrees

the tape

Edited by Toeter

Hands at side, 10yds.

Production Rig:

G17 with Dawson Sights/Grip Tape, Bladetech DOH, Blazer 115gr FMJ

1st Run: 2.83

2nd Run: 2.68

Limted Rig:

STI Edge, Safariland, 180gr @ 169pf

1st Run: 2.81 sec

2nd Run: 2.53 sec

As mentioned before, if I don't flub the 1st or 4th plate - it's there :) Nice runs Matt!

• 2 weeks later...

While not that impressive to some of the better shooters here... I was testing out 2 production guns to see which one I shot better and faster. The guns were:

Para LDA in 9mm

Para had factory front sight with a Dawson rear sight

Everything else was stock

Sig 229 in 40 S&W shooting minor (135 pf, 180's @ ~725)

Front and rear sights are Millet target sights, front blade is orange as opposed to Black.

13 pound recoil spring (stock is 16#)

Stock everything else

Holster was an inexpensive nylon and cloth "holds all kinds of guns" carry type holster.

With the LDA I never did make a clean run, best time was probably about 6 seconds plus with the best draw at about 1.8 secs.

With the Sig, I was running sub 6's with a few extra shots and the best runs I did were shot clean in about 3.8 secs. Best draw on the Sig was about 1.8 secs also.

Remember, the Sig has a double action first shot and subsequent shots are single action. LDA is DA only.

Seems it makes a difference to me. I've owned the 229 for a long time (almost 10 years) and the LDA is a relative newcomer (within 3 years) so that may be something to think about.

It was nice to see what the differences are. I think it's time I put a fiber optic or otherwise different color front sight on the LDA, In my case I think it would help. Previous to this game, I shot a large amount of ammo on guns with that orange sight up front. It's what I know and look for.

Not bad for a "C" production shooter but with time I know I can do better :)

Vince

• 1 month later...
Come on guys, I know of all the super human plate times but what are the secrets of shooting steel fast???

I know am the little brother that is tagging along with the older boys here...hehe

Here is what I have figured out so far:

Solid index, npa

Front sight

Trigger control

Not looking at the steel fall

Shoot only fast enough to get your hits as speed will come.

Don't try to shoot as fast as the people who have been doing it for years..

practice, practice, practice..

Relax and have fun..

There are no Beta and Charlie shots on steel, you either hit it or you don't...

It is very humbling....

Thanks for letting me play..hehe

make sure you have a good stance ...no standing STRAIGHT up and down ...or by the third shot you will be rocking way back.

Plate rack fiends try this one out.

2 plates, reload, 2 plates, reload, 2 plates, virginia count.

7.83 PB, Master, SS .45

Also, try this as modified Bianchi Cup, same time standards as normal Bianchi.

Edited by Castle

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my homemade plate rack. only five plates though.

They are swingers or I can turn the rack over and make it "fall over plates"

Forgot the timer when I went to test it.

I'll let you know my times.

that's the Air Soft "auto reset" plate rack on top.

plate%20rack.jpg

Got to play on the rack yesterday.......45 out of 48 on the "Test".......My best with a Ltd gun. :D

After a little SHO and WHO I decided to work on draws.........at 40 yds Just for kicks.

At first they were around 2.00 a few slower and a few faster.

Got comfortable doing it and got into a "groove" and started crushing the time.

Most were in the 1.60 s and 1.50s......Hot run was 1.36 :o:mellow::D

Likely couldn't do it again soon as I'm pretty rusty but............A good friend keeps telling me.

"You do it once, you can do it again!"

HOP

• 5 weeks later...