Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Help In Practical Shooting

c0urage

Guys,

I've never fired or held a gun even once. I would like to enter the sport of practical shooting (if that's the name of the sport). I'm not Entering the sport just for the sake of having a gun or learning how to use it or for violence. I'm really interested in entering the sport, but the problem is, i don't know anything about guns, from its price, to the price of shooting range, how to look at a good gun, or what rules we have for gun owners. I really need some information. I would like to ask from you guys what I need to start off. Do I have to have a Gun permit? Any age requirent? Is the sport expensive? How much do i need for a gun for a starter like me? or there are guns i can rent in shooting range? I really appreciate every response i could get from you guys... thanks in advance..

Edited by c0urage

Guys,

I've never fired or held a gun even once. I would like to enter the sport of practical shooting (if that's the name of the sport). I'm not Entering the sport just for the sake of having a gun or learning how to use it or for violence. I'm really interested in entering the sport, but the problem is, i don't know anything about guns, from its price, to the price of shooting range, how to look at a good gun, or what rules we have for gun owners. I really need some information. I would like to ask from you guys what I need to start off. Do I have to have a Gun permit? Any age requirent? Is the sport expensive? How much do i need for a gun for a starter like me? or there are guns i can rent in shooting range? I really appreciate every response i could get from you guys... thanks in advance..

Wow, that's a really big question. First, of course, you need to read these forums, particularly the beginner's sections. You also should go to uspsa.com, and read the introductory material there.

Now for my advice:

Nobody cares how bad you are. You will universally find that you are helped at matches and encouraged at all points. HOWEVER, everyone cares about how SAFE you are. You need to read up on gun safety, then you need to practice gun safety. A quick and dirty guide is this:

1. Every gun is always loaded, treat it accordingly

2. Never allow a gun to point at anything you are not willing to destroy

3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are aligned on a target

Those will keep you safe, but they have to become akin to religion, not hobby. I had them beat into my head so much as a child, I'm still uncomfortable with a disassembled gun barrel in my hand.

Next, after safety, you need to get some practice in. I would recommend a few trips to the range before attending a full match. And, when you do attend a match, you need to FORGET ABOUT SCORE. The first two or three times you shoot among others, WALK the stages very carefully, and get a feel for what is going on. There's a good thread about the 180 rule in this or the other beginner's forum, please read through it. Once you start getting comfortable with the procedures (all of which are there to keep everyone safe) you can speed up as your skill improves.

Practical Info:

Minimum age to buy a handgun is 21. A permit is not needed, unless you want to carry concealed or live in certain cities. (NY and DC, primarily)

Cost:

You can easily get going for under 500$. Uncle Mike's Kydex holster, used Glock 17, two UM mag pouches, headphones/earplugs, shooting glasses. That's the bare minimum to start, not including ammunition. (1000 rounds of 9mm = 110$ or so.)

Rentals:

Most indoor ranges rent guns, try several to see what fits you.

And finally, read read read.

H.

Edited by Houngan

Also your state may have specific laws. To figure out what your local rules are, go to a local gun shop and ask, they will be happy to let you know.

Also, find a local gun club that holds USPSA matches (the USPSA website should help you with that one) and contact the match director. Most likely there will be someone in the club who's job is to help out new shooters. If you let us know where you live, the people on this forum might even tell you who to call, because we are spread all over.

I've only been doing practical shooting for a little more than a year, so I'll let others give you advice on that subject. But I've been shooting all my life, and I do hold credentials as an NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor, so I'll give you some general advice on shooting.

Learning to shoot safely is a big step if you've never touched a gun. Learning to shoot in practical shooting matches is a big step even if you've been shooting all your life. Your mamma probably told you not to run with knives. Practical shooters run at top speed with loaded guns every weekend, and it's their experience and training that keeps them from getting hurt. So I'd suggest getting into it one step at a time.

You could take an NRA pistol course (10 hours), or the shortened version which is called First Steps Pistol (3 hours). That will get you started doing things the right way, and begin to teach you good safety habits. It's MUCH easier to learn things right from the beginning, rather than learning it wrong then trying to ditch bad habits.

If you have a place where you can shoot an Airsoft pistol or an airgun, you can get a lot of practice in for very little money. I've shot both kinds in my house, with a proper backstop and proper safety precautions.

Finding a mentor/shooting buddy would be a great step, too, assuming he or she knows what he's doing.

This sounds like it would take forever, but if you found the proper mentor you could be shooting safely in competition in a matter of weeks.

Feel free to pm me if you want more info. I'll give you my number so you can get your questions answered pronto.

You did not mention where you are located. Your first step is to contact a local shooting club or range and ask them what regulations/laws in your area allow. These may vary widely. Also ask them about basic instruction. If in the US, this would be best from an NRA instructor, to learn the basics of the gun.

Also seek out the nearest IPSC club. Ask similar questions and ask about basic instruction. Practical shooting differes from what would be taught by the NRA.

Look through Brian's site, as well as other sites related to practical shooting, looking for books and videos. Even if you ahve a local instructor, these will reinforce the instruction, or allow asking about different methods and techniwues.

If you do not already have a gun, see if your local range has rentals to allow trying a variety, depending on the division you are interested in participating. One you find one you like, purchase your own, along with associated gear.

One you have a gun, dry fire, assuming you have the basics down. Don't dryfire if you are not acquainted with the basics as you may ingrain bad habits. Dryfiring the proper basics will be a tremendous step in getting better.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no dumb questions.

Above all, be safe. Even when alone, and you know the condition of the gun, check to be certain it is not loaded. Every time you handle the gun. Even if you only set it down for a moment.

Depending on where you reside, check into reloading your own ammunition. Your local range/shop/club should be able to provide guidance in this matter as well.

Have fun.

Guy

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, it really helped me a lot. I don't live withing US, i'm from Philippines, I just can't find a good local forum so far, so I tried here... but I saw a post before from someone who also came from the Philippines. I'll follow your advice, well I should or else asking questions from you will become useless =). I think following safety precautions won't be a problem with me, i'm not the type of person who shows off and pretends that I know everything, I won't try to do anything stupid or experiment with a gun without instruction from a proffessional.

Guys thanks again for all the help, I'll try to look for a shooting range and ask for lessons. =). I've been reading some safety precautions regarding the use and handling of guns is a very serious matter as far as safety is concerned. Thanks again guys.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, it really helped me a lot. I don't live withing US, i'm from Philippines, I just can't find a good local forum so far, so I tried here... but I saw a post before from someone who also came from the Philippines. I'll follow your advice, well I should or else asking questions from you will become useless =). I think following safety precautions won't be a problem with me, i'm not the type of person who shows off and pretends that I know everything, I won't try to do anything stupid or experiment with a gun without instruction from a proffessional.

Guys thanks again for all the help, I'll try to look for a shooting range and ask for lessons. =). I've been reading some safety precautions regarding the use and handling of guns is a very serious matter as far as safety is concerned. Thanks again guys.

hey c0urage,

check this out:

http://www.ppsa.org.ph/

lynn

Guys,

hey c0urage,

check this out:

http://www.ppsa.org.ph/

lynn

Thanks, I've visisted the site. It's about a shooting club here in the philippines, but they don't offer any lessons or instructions on how to enter the sport. It's more of a information page about the club. Thanks again for the info.