Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ammo Price Increase

Merlin Orr

Mmm...to cast or not to cast my own bullets that is. I've got several 1 gal paint cans filled with recovered lead bullets. Oh to the tune of about 80lbs of lead.

Of course there is the initial cost of buying molds and a furnace and a lubrisizer, which I haven't done yet. Then there is the local indoor range that has gone to a copper only rule. So maybe lead for practice and FMJ's for the indoor matches.

I haven't priced out copper bullets in a long, long time. I can get lead .45 ACP 200gr SWC for less than $40/1K.

I was even thinking of trying the masterblaster bullets and see how those run in my gun. I never understood the need to shoot the most expensive bullets down range. Your just putting a hole in paper, why not use something cheap, that does the same thing, with some accuracy.

I did just buy 1K lead .40 180 gr to try from hitech ammo in St. Louis. The only complaint was a bit excessive on the lube. I paid $36.00. I see that he just went to $40 on his site. Still not bad for lead. I'd be hard pressed to go to the effort of casting for that $.

I was even thinking of trying the masterblaster bullets and see how those run in my gun. I never understood the need to shoot the most expensive bullets down range. Your just putting a hole in paper, why not use something cheap, that does the same thing, with some accuracy.

I have went this route as well. They seem to be doin' just fine. I have sent about 700 of them down range now with no bad reports. Low cost, cleaner than lead and with out the smoke. And accuracy seems to be at least on par with my other loads with jacketed bullets. Worth a try IHO. :)

Hey Nebraskan, that's where I got my 1K box of 180 LRN for .40. Same price too, from Hi-Tech Ammo. I sometimes get to shoot with those guys too. Lots of fun to be around!

I just haven't felt the urge just yet to switch the tool head over in my 550 yet.

So Rocket35, can you tell me a little bit more about these MasterBlaster bullets?

I haven't bought a copper anything bullet in about 5 years. Local indoor range has gone only copper so I need something to load up.

So Rocket35, can you tell me a little bit more about these MasterBlaster bullets?

Yeah, just check out their website. You can find the answers to most of your questions there I am sure. Or just give them a call, they would be able to inform you about their product far better than I could. ;)

I do hate to admit it :P , but I get to pick up 15,200 (eight cases of 1,900) Hornady HAP 180's this weekend at the match. Because we are local to Hornady, they allow our club a one time buy per year for personal consumption only. I paid...get this...$53.00/1,000 delivered to the match. Too bad I didn't shoot 9mm. They were available for $23.00/1,000 :blink:

I do hate to admit it :P , but I get to pick up 15,200 (eight cases of 1,900) Hornady HAP 180's this weekend at the match. Because we are local to Hornady, they allow our club a one time buy per year for personal consumption only. I paid...get this...$53.00/1,000 delivered to the match. Too bad I didn't shoot 9mm. They were available for $23.00/1,000 :blink:

Outstanding, good for you.

I like Hornady's stuff and it's good to see them supporting their local shooters like that.

If I had a heads up on that deal, would have happily paid dues to join your club and taken the long drive to load up. Gas mileage on the way home would have sucked---I would have made certain of that :)

The good news is that copper has taken a bit of a dive recently, and lead has been falling for a while. I'm sure that it will take a while for that to be represented in bullet prices, but at least it is not still skyrocketing. The flip side is that copper stocks are still very low and getting lower all the time.

$53 per 1000 is outstanding. Makes the $74 (I think) I'm paying for Precision Delta 180s look pretty steep.

Kind of pissed that I'm having to tumble 1000 of the PDs I received this week. Coated with some kind of gritty crap that I think would be bad for the barrel. Might have been my last order from them :angry: The others are fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Hornady seconds are still good bullets!!! :D

Ivan

Sorry, not seconds. We had to wait an extra two weeks to get them because they were out of stock and had to make them. They felt bad and even shipped them to us at no charge :wub: because they weren't ready when we picked up the 9's and .45's