Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production - El Prezidente

Steve Moneypenny

Smoney and TIS:

Before you get the wrong notion, I never said I doubt your word. On the contrary I said,

For the life of me, I just can't understand how members of this forum who draw faster than I draw, reload faster than I reload, and have better splits and faster transitions than me can be two classes below me. I don't get it.

Notice that I am accepting as fact that there are members of this forum who have a better developed skill set than I in areas of the draw, splits, transitions, etc. What I am saying is that I don't understand how serious students of the sport, like members of this forum, continue to struggle year after year. Now that I know your situation (in reality it's none of my business though) I can really symphathize with you. I would imagine if you had the chance to shoot as many classifiers as I shoot, your problems would vanish and the classifier would just be another stage.

My apologies if I sounded like I was challenging your credibility. I didn't mean to come off like that.

Thanks Twix. That's amazing i've stayed after a couple of ipsc matches with friends and we each shot through the COF once, then twice and by the 4th or 5th shoot through we coudl smoke it. but the first time all but one of us (not me) was was a lot worse than the 3rd or 4th run (after that we went down hill by missing and going too fast)

when i do get the opportunity to check my tiems at a match, they are about .2 slower on most things than in the match ( like a 1.00 draw would become a 1.20 draw) and my splits are in the .2 range instead of under mostof the time, but i rarely get my hands on "my times" after a string or COF.

i do better in matches also because on a speed shoot (50-60 point stage) i can tank it. and win a 130 point field course and it counts more. like trying to win a match with a bill drill in an IDPA match, you lose the match, instead of just breakign even if you hadn't tried so hard. ...

twix, like your quote too.

ron i knew you weren't, but i didn't want to sound like a whiner and it seemed like detlef was, even jokingly.

it seems like no matter how hard i try it's always like... yeah, this is the classifier do good on this one!

i do have an 86.?? on the IDPA Classifier ( lots of witnesses and ken hackathorn ran it and signed the card) i know the top guys can do it lower but that puts me more than 10 seconds below master there. content > :rolleyes:

Funny as this will sound no, i did it with an LDA 40 out of an uncle mikes holster and mag pouches. i started shooting the LDA for a lot of reasons, thought "once i get as use to this as i am my beretta i'll be jsut as fast" well that NEVER happened, i still want to make major at times, and some how a glock happened into my hands. and well, i'm shooting it better now.

you can ask TIS my timing would be way off on the LDA at times (good day on the classifier though) it was funny i would be like 2 targets away and still pulling the trigger for the last one. (long reset realllly slowed down my splits.

Flex, you are right on target. i find when i clear my mind i shoot best on classifiers i'm thinking shoot it in X ammount of time, get all yor points.

At the 2003 IDPA Nats the best SSP El Prez times were from:

Rob Haught 7.42 total (which includes 1 down)

Dave Sevigny 7.64 total (which includes 2 down)

Rick Simes 7.71 total (which includes 0 down)

The best time overall was Matt Burkett in ESP (SVI 9mm) with 6.59 total (which includes 1 down).

Rob Leatham shot it in CDP with 8.02 total (which includes 1 down).

------------

Your best times in practice don't matter that much if you can't repeat the performance at the big matches.

Ahhh...

The modified El Prez shot at the IDPA Nats was 10 meters from the targets and the targets were spaced 3 meters apart shoulder to shoulder. Starting with 6 only in the gun, reload at slide lock. Limited

The USPSA CM 99-11 El Prez classifier stage is 10 yards from the targets and 1 yard apart shoulder to shoulder. Standard USPSA speed reload. Virginia Count.

I didn't remember the difference.

Thanks Mississippi for pointing that out.

Were the targets also level? and what bout concealment?

This will sound strange but i am slower on IDPA targets in general. it seems easier to get A's faster on USPSA targets.

I run the IDPA Style El Prez in about 7-8 seconds. (no concealment, slide lock reload from 10 yards. unevenly spaced) best i've done on demand was a 7.51 at a hackathorn class with full power 40's in my G22 down 2.

Thanks for the nationals report. can anyone give details of setup?

Rob Haught is an awesome shooter, and a truely great competitor extremely consistant.

The targets in the IDPA classifier are set up, from left to right, at 6", 4" and 5" in height. I find it's considerably easier to get a good "sweep" across the targets on the USPSA/IPSC El Prez, due to their closer spacing and being set at the same height for all three targets.

Page 14 (8 of 26)

2003 IDPA National Championship CoF (El Prez - modified)

I'm sure you guys have seen this already but I thought I would throw it up there just in case.

I was wondering why the scores were higher at the Nationals than I've seen posted here (and other places) until I realized it was a modified version.

SL