Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should There Be More Revolver Gms?

Carmoney

But here's the big problem: Of the new 06-series classifiers, six of them are revolver neutral, and four of those require no reloads (all the Steely Speeds). And Sedro is using that same 45+% discount even for those!! This is way too much advantage, and it makes those classifiers far too easy to clobber, as Dan did with his 128% run on 06-10.

Let's take 06-10 and use it as an example. The stage requires the shooter to simply draw and shoot down six poppers. If you're shooting Limited, you need a 2.97-second run to get a 100% national classifier score from the great computer in the sky. In Revolver, we are given 4.69 seconds to accomplish the same task to get a 100% score. That's way too much advantage, considering there's no reload or nothin'!

And that's why, if you spool down through the Top 20 lists, you'll see that the active revolver guys are doing extraordinarily well on the 06-series classifiers, posted tons of 100% scores. In the case of the two guys who just jumped to GM, they happened to shoot a bunch of 06s over the past month or two, caught a bunch of 100% scores, and rode the wave right on up. In Dave's case, he jumped from B straight to GM!

Lots of clubs are shooting the 06-series classifiers, of course, because they're novel and new. This means Jerry, Dave and Nils are going to have lots of company up there in G-Man land very soon. Unless USPSA does something to correct this, we are going to see new Revolver GMs every month for awhile. We will have local club-level shooters out there, that nobody's ever even heard of, suddenly show up on the Revo GM list.

And guys, this is exactly the kind of situation I was concerned about when I started this thread. It went from being too hard (in fact, nearly impossible) to make GM in Revolver before, to now being far too easy. .......T

Or so it seems to me.

Oh I don't know Mike, I have been able to stay out of the Master class so far. Can't even get into A class yet. Of course I only shot one 06 calssifier so far, 06-06 "The Golden Bullet Standards" just managed an 85%. I'll be in B for a while.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really wish Sedro would abolish the classification system once and for all. Let's all just shut up and shoot from scratch.

BTW, a couple of months ago our club was going to shoot Triple Choice but were were afraid we would have problems in the wind with the targets sticking 6 feet in the air. I chose to set up 99-11 instead. I also do the stats for our club. Our club is small and our state has few shooters, kind of like Alaska. My score was in the GM range. Should Sedro toss out the score because I am not a real GM? The problem with paper GM's (assuming there is a problem) is the system not the shooters.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I really wish Sedro would abolish the classification system once and for all. Let's all just shut up and shoot from scratch.

BTW, a couple of months ago our club was going to shoot Triple Choice but were were afraid we would have problems in the wind with the targets sticking 6 feet in the air. I chose to set up 99-11 instead. I also do the stats for our club. Our club is small and our state has few shooters, kind of like Alaska. My score was in the GM range. Should Sedro toss out the score because I am not a real GM? The problem with paper GM's (assuming there is a problem) is the system not the shooters.

There was an old rule (I'm not sure when it changed) that did not permit the usage of a classifier score that came in more than something like 15% above your current average.

I don't know what happened to it.

It sounds like Sedro Woolley finally got the hint, and is basing the new 06 series HHFs on the best HF set at the match that debuted the new classifier stage. That's all we've been asking for, for the past 6 years! And the people getting high classifier scores on these stages are the often the same guys who've been victimized by the previous "percent of Limited" HHFs. Cliff Walsh is less than a percentage point from GM, and he's likely to attain that with his next posted classifier score.

Then, we'll see some additional class changes show up from Area matches, as these new GMs qualify those matches for validating percentages.

Ofcourse Mike, your right. But as a revolver shooter for years having felt like I was being "kept down by the man", I'm all for a change that makes our Division as easy (or easier) to move up than before. Maybe making it easier to make GM in revolver would do incredible things for our Division; like let it survive. It'll be interesting to see how things pan out.

• 2 weeks later...

Dan shot a 94+% today on 03-03 "Take 'em Down!"

It should be noted this is NOT a revolver-neutral classifier, as it requires an awkward reload right in the middle of a 4-target array.

Dan also accomplished this in the heat of battle at a major match (Area 5).

Dan shot a 94+% today on 03-03 "Take 'em Down!"

It should be noted this is NOT a revolver-neutral classifier, as it requires an awkward reload right in the middle of a 4-target array.

Dan also accomplished this in the heat of battle at a major match (Area 5).

Great job Dan, that looks like a tough one :o

http://www.uspsa.org/classifiers/03-03.pdf

So what are those odds up to now for the Nationals .......

• 3 weeks later...
CONGRATULATIONS to Cliff Walsh - the newest GM in Revolver.

Congrats to Lefty45 for making A Class...we both got the boot this morning. :o:D

Phil is going to be upset, he has been trying to dodge Steve for a long time.

Thanks for the kind words...... What have I done?????

Congrats, Cliff on making GM. I'm glad to see you made good on my prediction from last month. And it's nice to see people moving up in class.

Also congrats to Sam Carmoney, who will be moved up to B class for winning Class C at the Nationals with a score of 67.3% relative to Jerry.

BTW, someone asked about Sedro Woolley knocking out classifier scores that are more than 15% above the top of their current class. Apparently, that isn't being done any more, because Lefty got credit for a 97% on CM06-05, to push him up to A class. They are knocking out classifier scores that are 5% LESS than the bottom of your current class, so those major screwups don't pull down your average.

I don't know if Tom Mainus will get bumped into A class for winning B class at the Nationals, but that would be nice, too.

Now if only I could get some of the clubs around me to run those Steely Speed classifiers....