Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Plate Hit

waynes_world_45

I shot my first IDPA match Saturday....loved it...didn't do too bad for a 15 yeat hiatus (I used to shot IPSC in the late 80s) However, I have a question. What is the rule if a plate is knocked down but pops back up?. I asked prior to shooting and I was told I had to to reengage. Well, it happened during my string and cost me a reload as I shoot CDP and there were 6 targets and after it popped back up I got flustered and missed it a couple of times...... Do you have to reengage a steel target that pops back up??

I would say no. It would at least be a prop malfunction and you would be due a re-shoot. Common sense would would say that if you put a falling steel plate down with enough force that it went all the way down and popped back up that it is neutralized. Some falling steel needs a cushion to land on so that it doesn't bounce. It's not the shooters fault provided that it was just plain falling steel and wasn't designed to come back up like some reactive targets.

I shot my first IDPA match Saturday....loved it...didn't do too bad for a 15 yeat hiatus (I used to shot IPSC in the late 80s) However, I have a question. What is the rule if a plate is knocked down but pops back up?. I asked prior to shooting and I was told I had to to reengage. Well, it happened during my string and cost me a reload as I shoot CDP and there were 6 targets and after it popped back up I got flustered and missed it a couple of times...... Do you have to reengage a steel target that pops back up??

Don't know if I've ever seen any (other than autopoppers) that do this. Was it a plate rack?

I agree, this should be scored as hit, you shouldn't be penalized for nuetralizing it with authority.

Don't know if I've ever seen any (other than autopoppers) that do this. Was it a plate rack?

I agree, this should be scored as hit, you shouldn't be penalized for nuetralizing it with authority.

yes, plate rack....I was 4/4 quickly and hit the 5th with the 1st shot when it popped back up and befuddled me...missed #6 twice...settled down and hit it...slidelock...reload...hit #5...really ate up the time

Well, you asked and were told in advance to reengage.

But you should not have been. Plate racks are bad targets for competition for that reason, they can bounce back up at random, not a fair challenge.

If they were determined to use the thing, the SO should have been primed to yell HIT! and let you move on; else you should have been given a reshoot.

But he wasn't. Suck it up and move on.