Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How should  I Run this

Larrys1911

One of the IPSC guys set up a speed shoot a while back!

8 - 12"X12" cardboard tgts set up about 6" apart in two rows!

D  D  D  D

D  D  D  D

-----+--------+------

Two Bianchi Barricades with the front support legs touching end to end  like two H's with the legs touching.  Set in front of the tgt array about 3 yds!

Start on one end!

On signal you engage each cardboard tgt  with one round, reload engage each tgt again through the center of the barricades do another reload move to the end and shoot the last side

the catch ....... 7 second par time!

What I want to know is which tgts should be shot first and should you be moving from start to finish or plant in each postion.  I assume Move but you have to shoot bottom, top, top, bottom ...... that way.

I think that is probably the fastest way but I figured that out AFTER the fact!

We shot it yesterday IDPA style (slide lock reload) as a Side match.  

any tips?

Sorry I really couldnt figure our where to ask this so move it if you need to.

Larry P

(Edited by Larrys1911 at 9:32 pm on Oct. 28, 2002)

I'm having a hard time picturing the COF in my head, but here's my take on it. I like to shoot the bottom target first if there is one right above it and you obviously can't see through the gun to acquire the bottom target if you shoot at the top one first. If you have to move from one location to the other, then in most cases it will be faster to shoot on the move, just make sure you don't sacrifice making your hits on an account of moving too fast.

Well, I actually sat down with a calculator and gamed the stage out. Spent quite a bit of time thinking about it, wrote a post, then didn't post it because the COF is so unrealistic. To actually make the par time of 7 seconds you would have to throw the fundamentals right out the window and just spray and pray.

If I took a serious approach to the course I would shoot the low targets first from left to right on the move then shoot the top targets right to left, pausing if I ran out of room. I would lift a leg and step to the next array as I shot the last round. The reload would be in as I took a step toward the center of the next array. I would shoot the bottom targets left to right while moving, then finish the top off as I moved to the next area...stepping and leaving as I fired the last round. The reload would be in as I settled into the last area. I would finish bottom first, left to right, then top right to left. Floks who are good at zig-zag, up and down gun movement might be better off going low, high, low, high, and I do that on steel when there is a little popper in front of a big popper. But, with the element of movement added in, I think the up and down movment of the gun would throw me for a loop.

Ron,

I guess I should have said this was an excercise in futility when I posted it!

IIRC the guy that put it up had seen it somewhere before! He is a master class IPSC shooter and IIRC he ran the course three times.  Got his best time,  took off two seconds, and set that as Par time!

It was for fun. No realism involved! though it does make you do everything in the fundamentals.  Quite a few tried to S&P it and lost big time

I think on a good day I could get maybe 18 or 20 shots off!   I only got one run this weekend and then my gun (Single stack 9mm) quit running, (wouldnt drop the mags) but I should have moved sooner than I did.  ended up only getting 16 rounds off and the 3rd mag to the gun when the timer went off!    

TIS,

Ill try again

Eight tgts 12" squares  two rows of four tgts, spaced 6" or so between each tgt.

in front of that two Bianchi barricades placed so the walls are perpendicular to the tgts with about 6' between them.  It looks like this

O O O O

O O O O

I          I

Start is on either end of the array wherever you want to be. If your too close to the wall it conceals the last two tgts, to far and you have to move too much and you increase shooting distance!  On signal you Draw and engage each cardboard tgt  with one round, reload engage each tgt again from between the barricades, do another reload and shoot the last side.

I had figured that I would shoot faster in a straight line than up and down but what I hadnt thought of was that I could move as I shot if I started on the left side and shot the rightmost tgts first while moving slowly! by the time I was through shooting I should have been standing very close to the next shooting position! and started over!  BUT I didnt get to try that theory because I didnt think of it until the ride home!

Its one of those CoFs that everyone wants to try.......3 or 4 times just for fun!