Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Zz Birds (or Helice)

JD45

Our club is about to purchase an entire used competition machine package for ZZ birds. We have been using it on a trial basis and think it is worth the money.

Other than calling a known ZZ shooting club and bugging the management for advice, none of us are sure where to start. We know that the rules for Helice and ZZ differ, and some states seem to have their own.

I've found some website links, but I thought that maybe someone here might know about running a shoot( and rules).

On a lighter note, a couple of us finally figured out how to hit the things (some of them).

We had a small-money fun match Saturday and I was too chicken to enter the 20-bird race. Later, after seeing what I was doing wrong, I entered the 5-bird miss & out race and won with one miss.

Edited by JD45

If you find out more, I'd love to know. Keep updating this thread. I looked into it many moons ago and it looked like a financially dicey proposition from both an operations and "if I send these people money for the equipment, will I ever see it or the equipment again" standpoint.

I think the way to make ZZ work is to own your own tooling to manufacture the birds and do it in your own shop or offshore. I don't remember the prices I saw exactly, but I do remember it was breathtakingly expensive paying retail.

I now have contacts to tooling/molding houses in China, so it would be interesting to know what kind of intellectual property rights there are, if any, to the technology.

I've shot both ZZ and live flyers-both are tough.

Look hard at your costs. I stopped shooting both due to the extemely high costs.

As I recall, it cost the shooter something like $3/target for practice and $6 per target for a fun event (for ZZ-not flyers).

Make sure your local band of shooters is ready to continually pay high prices when clays are so much cheaper.

Good luck,

Dave

Edited by Airedale

From what I understand their are two types of shoots. One is a big-money shoot, sort of like flyers. Huge pots and probably a bunch of gamblers side-betting.

The other is more of a fun shoot. It is most often a 20-bird race. The money is small or none.

I see that a club in NC was once charging $35 for a 20 bird race. http://www.withersravenel.com/DeepRiver/De...t.aspx?tabid=37

The cost to buy the targets are about .75 for the metal prop and .35 for the witness cap. The plastic caps can be reused for practice and fun shoots several times. And the metal prop can be shot until you damage the part that must lie flat on the motor head. The more the wings get shot-up, the tougher the flight pattern gets.

We mainly need to pick a commonly used set of rules and stick to them. But nobody here knows which ones to pick.

While I want to see and shoot in the small shoots, I would like to watch one of the big-time events.

We had a guy here Sat. telling us stories about being in flyer shoots with $250,000 on the line. I wonder how high the purses can go in ZZ shoots?

Edited by JD45

Don't know about ZZ shoots, but I watched Danny Bonillas (one of the all time great shotgunners) squib a live pigeon at a Box Bird shoot in Vegas in '95 that had he killed it, he would have won 178K.....instead, there was a 3 way shootoff, and I think his share was about 95k....big step down...Kind of like Phil Mickelson in the Open...LOL

Still not a bad payday

And yes, even local pigeon shoots can get into the big money...(well, what I consider big money)...My bud shot 18 of 20 a month ago and won 12k....I won 4200 betting on him...I did not shoot...(TOO MANY SHARKS)

Not for the faint of heart.... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

We finally bought the ZZ machines. On Sunday, July 23rd we are having our first small shoot. It will be limited to 25 shooters, $50.00 for a ten bird race. Sixty-five percent goes to a three-place purse, and the club keeps thirty-five percent.

If anyone would like to come to Georgia to shoot with us send me a PM and I'll give you all of the contact info.