Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rex-0

Daude

Found a new interesting powder that I really like. It is Rex-0 from Hungary. It is a dull gray flake powder that works very well for both .45 and .40 cal. As a chemist I love to tinker with my loads but I pretty much have stopped tinkering once I started using this stuff. It is clean and accurate and a little goes a very long way. I use 3.6 gr in my 230 gr lead round noses to make major PF . It works well behing a 147 Berry Plated in my son's CZ as well but he still prefers 4756. Rex-0 is sold in 1kilo cans and I have been loading all year out of the same can that I bought in Lubbock at an IDPA regional. I tried Rex-0 with some 185gr RNHB Berry plated but I got a lot of debris peppering me. Recoil on the 230 loads is soft.

Found a new interesting powder that I really like. It is Rex-0 from Hungary. It is a dull gray flake powder that works very well for both .45 and .40 cal. As a chemist I love to tinker with my loads but I pretty much have stopped tinkering once I started using this stuff. It is clean and accurate and a little goes a very long way. I use 3.6 gr in my 230 gr lead round noses to make major PF . It works well behing a 147 Berry Plated in my son's CZ as well but he still prefers 4756. Rex-0 is sold in 1kilo cans and I have been loading all year out of the same can that I bought in Lubbock at an IDPA regional. I tried Rex-0 with some 185gr RNHB Berry plated but I got a lot of debris peppering me. Recoil on the 230 loads is soft.

REX-0, aka Rex24 or Rex "Azure-blue" is the most fast-burning Rex powder. Here in Italy we use Rex powders a lot, but near anyone uses the Rex-0, especially for the 40 S&W caliber. We cosiders it too fast, even for .45 ACP.

But, to be honest, I've not tested it personally.

• 10 months later...

REX-0, aka Rex24 or Rex "Azure-blue" is the most fast-burning Rex powder. Here in Italy we use Rex powders a lot, but near anyone uses the Rex-0, especially for the 40 S&W caliber. We cosiders it too fast, even for .45 ACP.

But, to be honest, I've not tested it personally.

Here in the US, we usually use the most fast burning powders in .45 ACP for the low-power requirements of USPSA/IDPA & NRA Bullseye competition. The powders we often use include the V V N-310 that you likely have in Italy, as well as our Bullseye, W231/HP-38, regular Hodgdon Clays (a shotgun powder) Solo 1000, Titegroup and a few others that lead the burn rate chart as "fast." We only need to meet the 165 PF level, so these fast powders are safe for our purpose. And, the .45 is capable of much much higher PF, although it might be advisable to use a slower powder for such powerful loads in the .45 ACP (do a search on loads used for bowling pins, or serch "45 Super").

I agree that these fast powders listed above, along with Rex-0, might be slightly more risky for use in the .40, where a setback, combined with such fast powders, could generate excessive pressure (as a setback can do with ANY powder, I realize). Industry pressure limits for .40 in the US are about 35,000PSI with NO "+p" limit/margin where as the .45 runs about 17,000 PSI (i.e. - about 1/2 as much). I realize that you follow CIP limits in Italy, not SAAMI.

Edited by Carlos

• 3 weeks later...

Hi from Italy

most used Rex is yellow, then green; in 38,40, 45 and 9 Major.

Loads around 4 grains and adding something depending on caliber,bullet weight, barrell lenght etc.

Burning rate from faster (24grams clay) to slower (36grams Magnum): blue, red, yellow, green.

A shotgun powder which is the cheapiest way to make your pistol work honestly, not needing special primer, clean burning, good for cast and jacketed bulletts.

While made in Hungary, I was told it is Fiocchi's property.

• 11 years later...

Bumping an old thread for Rex 0. I have some I'd like to use in 45. Anyone have a pet load with a 200gr LSWC?

I can always try 3.6 as listed above and adjust a little as needed. But if someone already has a load it'll save me a little time.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk