Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Draw, shoot, reload, shoot...

Ron Ankeny

When I think of it, I time how long it takes me to draw, fire a shot, reload, and fire another shot. I do this at five yards with the goal to get one A and the other no worse than a C. Conventional wisdom dictates that masters should be able to do this in two seconds.

Two seconds my butt. Argh...I ain't that slow but 2 seconds? I tried it again this morning with my boat anchor of a pig foo-foo blaster. The times were, 2.16, 2.10, 2.10, 2.13 then I said to hell with it.

Can any of you mere mortals pull this off in 2 seconds? I won't give up...I know I can, I know I can...

Hey..that sounds like a good one for Ghost Dog's Par Time Drill.

I forget what drill he suggested we do this on...but the idea is to figure out what your par time is for a skill set...a time you can hit most every try.  Once you establish this "par time"  make that your threshold.  Here is the kicker...you can't go faster.  The idea is to get as close to the time as possible without going under it.  

I think there is more to the drill?  Should be great for awareness.

I havent tried that drill but I have tried this one....draw and fire two, reload and  fire two. My personal best was about 2.30 However still working on it. There s still a lot of time that I can cut out. My reload stands at about 1.30 This was done at about 5 yards.

Thanx

(Edited by Mo Zee at 10:52 pm on Sep. 8, 2002)

Ron,

Yeah, I been working this drill for almost two years. Finally got it about two weeks ago. Had several in the 2.00 - 2.15 range before I hit 1.80. The draw was .85 and the reload .95, A-C hits on the target at 7 yards with my open gun that I had not shot in almost a year. This is one tough drill for sure.....

Flex,

We used to do the "break-out" drill on steel, typically for the Steel Challenge. There's no reason, however, that it wouldn't be beneficial on paper.

Rob and I have a drill (posted somewhere) called the "2 load 2 load 2." IPSC target @ 5 yds, hands down start. You draw and execute the title (of the drill). Score is your time plus .1 second for each point dropped. Last time I checked, I held the record at 3.00 secs...

be

• 4 weeks later...

Jeez, old I only find the old threads or what?

I just got my "M" card about six months ago so I don't feel all comfy and solid about saying I can do this or that, but....

Single stack reloads hover at least .2 seconds slower than with my high cap.   Whoever said it is right, they are not as forgiving.

I had the same short finger trouble, went to an Arrendondo button, got a Dawson "ICE" magwell for my birthday, and started hitting them in under 1 sec for the first time ever.

I too hit that hands relaxed start drill, and I'm admittedly no "TJ", but I figure if I do it in under 2.00 sec that's a second for each, draw and reload.

For the money I can hit boring 1.20s both draw and reload with regularity, but warmed up and "WFO", under a second is possible. But  .7? not me & not yet....

Doug Boykin and I used to end practice sessions with the 1 load 1 one thing.

We'd set up targets at 7 yards and see what we could do. Times hovered between 1.8 and 2.1. It's so ironic - I remember Doug and I looking at it and saying if we took his draw and my reload we'd have a 1.5 second run. I'd burned a load and Doug always had a quicker draw then me.

JB

i tried it a few times, best run was a 1.95 .97 draw and a .98 reload....

hovered just over 2 sec. between 2 and 2.26 then I took a breath and relaxed my reloads started droping down where they could also be beneficial.

This practice drill was my first time for a sub 1 second reload at any distance.

At 5 yards the draw for an A i can do around .8 but never did a reload after the shot at this distance.

Best reload at 12 yards 7" steelplate 1.15

Normal reload at papertargets about same time.

Will work on me reload and try to get it under 1 second

Think i can make this drill in 2 sec.

Will try it next weeks

Adrie

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing this (dry fire) drill for 5 weeks straight every night and I just broke the 2 sec par time I set!  yahoo!!  Now I wonder if the comfort will still be there in live fire...

Things I noticed when doing this drill:

1.  From the draw, you only get a fleeting sight of your FS (maybe this part is best left to how good your index is?)

2.  It's awfully difficult to get consistent reloads with an SS 45 even with a magwell with this time frame.  One glitch and I won't make the 2 sec mark.

3.  The first few nights doing this I felt totally out of control.  Then I kinda settled in to the speed after a while and started to relax.

4. I'm guessing once I do this live fire, the gun will still be recoiling while being pulled in close for the mag change.  Now I wonder how that would feel like?  Would I even be able to hit my stock mag button?

Lastly, I find this a great drill!  Makes you move out of your comfort zone. And once you get the hang of it you realize your original comfort zone is not comfortable anymore because it's slow!  So you move it a notch faster yet still be in control. Amazing!  Thank you Ron.

mcoliver said:

Makes you move out of your comfort zone. And once you get the hang of it you realize your original comfort zone is not comfortable anymore because it's slow!  So you move it a notch faster yet still be in control. Amazing!

Awesome observtion.  Way cool.

Well. I have been working on this drill for a couple of months. I can hit the 2 second mark about half the time with a wide body pistol so I have been trying it with a single stack. Great way to totally screw up a reload. Those of you who can stab a new magazine into a single stack in a second or less are making me feel inadequate. I think I have reload envy.