Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver splits

George D

Well I am a revolver shooter but don't really know what the "standard" split times for revolver shooters are?  I do know that my regular split times with most of my revolvers are between 0.16 and 0.19 of a sec.

Thanks for the replies guys.

From where I stand those times are much-more-than-decent-approaching-awesome. Although I've been shooting DA revolver for 7 years I've only tried shooting fast splits once, at 7 yards, but acheived only high 20's. Given the long trigger pull on a revolver compared to an auto, your times are very impressive.

George D:

Ah, but you didn't ask if I hit anything, lol. The revolver that I use is a DA only K-frame with an old action job by Ron Power. He shortend the stroke considerably and the hammer only falls hard enough to ignite the softest of primers such as Federals. BTW, my splits with a 1911 regularly run .14 in hose mode so .18 does seem slow.

"so .18 does seem slow". ??  GIVE ME A BREAK!!!

I have a K-frame heavy slab-barrel fully customised by Peter Muscat including a short stroke hammer but, as I said, high 20's is the best I could manage. I guess I'm struggling to make "pathetic" class.

P.S. Did you hit anything?

My usual revolvers are a 627PC (8 shot) or one of my 625's (3" or 5").   I found my splits were the same wether I shot 38's or 45's.  My usuall times with my autos are 0.13-0.15 of a sec so I am not too far off.

GeorgeD:

No I didn't hit a darn thing. When I first started in this game I thought .13 splits were beyond my reach and a sub-one second draw was a fantasy. I also thought drawing, firing, reloading, and firing again in 2 seconds was impossible. I even thought a sub five second El Pres. was impossible. Boy was I wrong, I have accomplished all of those goals. Might seem like BS to you right now, but someday... :-)

Ron,

Thanks for the info and the encouragement. I thought times like that were only in the realm of Brian and Robbie ( is it true that they're afraid of Kryptonite??). I'll keep trying.

(Edited by George D at 2:29 pm on Oct. 18, 2002)

George D:

When you read the times posted on this forum you need to remember that the mojo factor enters in and most guys post their very best times, unless a poster indicates the times are par times. Can I draw, fire, reload, and fire again in 2 seconds on demand? Hell no. Are su-five second El Pres' normal for me?  Don't think so. Have I done both? Definately.

I took my model 15 out and spaced 3 targets one yard apart edge to edge at seven yards and shot two on each. I listened for the timer, drew, and went as fast as I could while being technically correct, calling every shot. My draw was 1.22, splits ran .22-.23 and the transition from target to target was .22-.24. One C, the rest A zone hits.

I repeated the drill in warp drive. Draw was 1.09, splits ran between .17 and .19, transitions were .20-22. I had a miss and two C zone hits.

Strapped on the Open blaster and went hog wild. Draw was .87, splits were .12-.15, transitions were .17-.18, rounds went everywhere. Does that kind of put things into perspective?

Ron is right about "most guys" and that is easy to tell when you start asking about how manytimes they pratice/shoot a week and how many rounds they shoot in a month.

I can tell you that the times I posted are my normal times as I am looking at them on my timer again and again at least once a week. Being an RO at our local range gives me access to the pistol competition area of our range complete with all the steel targets you could ask for including plate racks etc...  

I typically uitilize this on a weekly basis at least once if not twice. Unless I am doing some load testing or shooting my shotgun I am working on my draws/split times/etc... I typically shoot 400-600 rounds a week out of my revolvers and autos and have been accused of "shooting a machinegun" when in reality I am just shooting fast consecutive pairs of doubles.

Neal in AZ    

Bill:

I know you have covered this elsewhere. but what's all the hype about moon clips? Just about any decent PPC shooter will do a fairly leisurely reload in 3.5 seconds. Mine run 3 to 3.5 with the old Comp Safariland loaders.

As for your times, your example is pretty good. I know you can do faster transitions and splits (can't you?), but the ones you list (I assume) are par times day in and day out, cold and on demand, down 0 on an IDPA target. Where as my times include missing the whole freaking target. Maybe not missing has something to do with not losing?

(Never mind commenting on the moon clips...found your other thread).

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 9:36 pm on Oct. 18, 2002)

Ron, The biggest difference with moon clips is that you don't flub any reloads. It is much easier to have a bad reload with speedloaders.

Yes, I can do faster splits, transitions etc but "I  miss the whole freaking target"

Bill Nesbitt

I regularly shoot with bill at IDPA matches, his splits are definitley at.20 on a normal day, on a good day, his are faster than that.... i may have to start sneaking up and reviewing the time

3 second reload.... pretty consistant, his loads are very smooth, i still think this is all because bill started shooting before the 1911 was invented

i shoot SSR Expert. ok, i admit i have shot one match with a wheel gun, and 2 reshoots in my life, and rarely practice with them. however having a DA trigger on my beretta isn't far.

Draws run about 1.15 compared to a flat 1.00 with flat guns.  just not used to the grip angle/placement of the gun i would say.

Splits about .20-.25 generally about .21 with A zone USPSA hits.

Reload... about 4-4.5 seconds, I just got this setup (mod 1 nickle with safariland comp 3's no chamfer, and flatpoint ammo.

not real good, but not bad either. will have a 625 3" soon.. i shot moon clipped guns before, but not much.

• 3 months later...