Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR15 Mags.

Julien Boit

Cheaper than Dirt has Orlites for $15.  Be warned, however.  They have been reworked with a sandblaster to make them look "new."  I ordered 14, and ended up with 4 good ones - ones that actually fit, fed, and dropped free.  I returned the rest.  

Eric

Best quality AR mags tend to be mil-spec GI 20 and 30 rounders.......most anything else will give you trouble eventually. A good source for AR mags is Eric "the ammoman" at http://www.ammoman.com

Never been fond of Orlites or Thermolds.......they tend to fail under hard use and won't consistently drop free......every AR is different so check to see which mags function best in your particular rifle.

Jerome---

Did you get 8 or 30 round mags for you're Beretta AR-70?.......

It took me quite a while to track down a 30 rounder for a reasonable price here in the states........

Well worth it though.......the rifle looked funny with a little 8 round mag in it.

Singlestack---

I have one 30 round mag for my AR-70 for which I paid $125, and I felt like it was a bargain. Found it at the SOF show in Vegas a few years ago.

A Beretta AR-70 in great shape will go in the $1700-$2200 price range depending on accessories.

I got lucky and picked mine up for $400.......which made paying so much for the mag a little easier to accept.

Icer,

I bought 2 8-rounder, 'cause my brother lives in CA, and he's not allowed 10+ mags. And I live abroad, so he is the only way for me to get them.

If someone has a 20 or 30 ata good price for a AR70 first generation , not the second with stanag mag (eventhough I don't know what a stanag mag is ?), I'll buy it.

Jerome---

Looks like I've successfully drifted another thread.......sorry Julien.....

There were only about 750 AR-70's imported into the United States so there is not much info available on them.......accessories can be difficult to find and are usually priced in the ridiculous range.

I haven't heard of any glaring weak points in the design, nor have I seen owners stocking up on things like firing pins and extractors.......this would lead me to believe that the engineering is fairly solid and that, more than likely, no one is out there beating the snot out of them like you might with an AK.

I consider it a reliable gun to have in my assault rifle collection, and a fun gun to take out to the range, but it would not be the first rifle I would grab if Osama popped up in my backyard.......I might need more than one magazine full of .223........thoroughness is a virtue

For more info and possible spare parts try this buy/sell/info board..........www.sturmgewehr.com........

More than likely yes..........each AR receiver is different so trying a few out before purchasing is a great idea......

Of the two plastic mags commonly available the Thermold is the best.........

I have seen some really ugly Orlite mags and many of the ones currently on the market are used and beat to hell........