Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS STAR

Liota

I hated the TX star so much the first time I shot it I made several of them (one powered so it’s already spinning) and shot them until they were no problem weak handed with the wrong eye. That’s the best way to get over them. I did wind up modifying one to an “evil star” but it turned out to not be as much fun as folks started using there sights, only one non threat out of 28 shooters.

This is my rendition of the "evil star".

http://s121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jm...ent=funstar.flv

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a local GM named Scott Pries. Hell of a nice guy. Typically his times to clean a Texas Star run just over 2 seconds. I watched him do it once in the high 1.9X, actually.

It's been a while since I've seen you at a match Duane. When do you see Scott shooting Texas Stars?

mattk

• 5 months later...

My first pistol Texas Star resulted in 3 clean, and 2 that took the remaining 20 rounds to shoot and i still left one up.... /sigh

Production minor at the time.

Edited by SN13

I just ordered one of these little jems to help practice my ability. I have seen several options in action and have seen many people that can shoot a star well. But I just need some practice to improve. This little apparatus will be getting a workout!

BAMStar.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/bamairsoft

After facing one of these at a steel match last year (and getting soundly spanked by it), I picked up an Airsoft gun and the BAM star - my times are MUCH improved, esp. when practicing with a narrow port that blocks the top...

Barry

I like the star so much I bought one from MGM for my house, since my club didn't have one. My best time at a side match was 3.14 at 12yds with my open gun. Won the side match with that time. I'm high C class. Backed it up with a 3.29. I shoot top, top right, then let the plates come to me at the 4 o'oclock position. Usually do it in 5 shots that way. The trouble with starting, or even shooting them at the bottom is that leaves the weight up high and then the star really takes off. If you take weight off the top it never gets up to warp speed. BTW, the MGM target is great stuff

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Matt Burkett has a bonus section on how to shoot a Texas Star in his newest DVD #7 how to practice. Some nice tips. I've never shot one personally but looks like it could be a nightmare if it starts to rotate much.

Thanks for the tip. I seem to overthink the star the couple of times I have shot it, and then I get flustered and start chasing it. My local range told me I was welcome to come out in the off season to practice on it, so I am gonna work on that this winter. That DVD is on my list now.

I also ordered the star from BAM Airsoft to augment training in my garage. I can't stand letting anything beat me.

David S.

Edited by LocknLoad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I shot the 5 star for the first time in my life last week. 3.57 seconds with my production Glock 34. I did it again today and choked on the first shot, ended with a 4.7 seconds. I think I could keep it pretty consistently around 3.75 seconds. Hands at sides, about 12 yards the first time, 15 yards today.

Unclassified, non USPSA member.

Edited by Wik

• 7 months later...

Anybody ever shot a Texas star prone with a handgun with 2 barrels stacked in the center as no shoots approx 15yards out, get up and shoot from between a barricade 6 poppers 3 bowling pins and 4 Idpa targets?....we did Yesterday at 3 gun after shooting a Texas star in this position shooting one freestyle with nothing in front will be a blessing in the future. One of the hardest stages Ive ever shot and it wasnt the hardest stage...man I loved it. Hats off to the match designer/director Bill Eskew for a awesome match at Belton 3 gun.

• 2 months later...

Back in April the local club had a Texas Star sideshoot, on signal draw and engage the star from box A (about 10-12 yards distance). The bugs were horrible, screwing me up once one lit on my arm soon as they came up for my first shot, since this was a friendly side match, the RO let me reholster and start again, pissed as hell, I ran it in 3.96 with 5 shots. I'll probably never see that time again in my life. I'm a high D/low C shooter shooting Production with a XD.

*steps off the soapbox*

The whole thing as vluc said, you either spank it or it spanks you.

4 to 4.5 seconds depending on the star. Class C

• 5 months later...

first time i shot a star was with a 9mm cleaned 4 plates in 4 shots then blew 10 rds to slide lock on the last took the miss, second time with same pistol ran 35 rounds ended with 3 misses, absolutely hated the thing till i got a 40 and now can usually do it in 7 or less rounds average of 6.5 + seconds, shotgun is another matter been using a buddies super 90 M1 w/ 18" barrel star past 20 yards is a no go with #6 shot so after 8 rounds finished it with my pistol can't wait till i get my JM mossie