Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS STAR

Liota

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Gibson (MGM) makes a Texas Star out of rifle-grade steel. Neat stuff.

Since our club is 2 miles from MGM's facility we have a couple of his Stars. They're top notch targets, the employees shoot the local matches and they're great people. The plate reset is a bit easier with the MGM than the original.

My favorite anecdote regarding the TX* is the people that are mesmerized by it. You occasionally see people stare at the moving Star for 2 seconds without a shot fired.

• 2 years later...

Mod Note: I merged the new thread Ironb started into this existing thread on the same topic.

Got 'er done in 5 something seconds from a draw at about 12-15 yards with my open gun. Is that a good time, or should I be sub-5?

Got 'er done in 5 something seconds from a draw at about 12-15 yards with my open gun. Is that a good time, or should I be sub-5?

Depends on your skill level... if that's as fast as you can go right now then it's fast. You can't outshoot yourself. Perhaps I should rephrase... you can't shoot any faster than your current skill set. You have to put time in practicing to change that set which allows you to go faster without blowing up. Thus, you can't outshoot yourself.

Edited by JThompson

If you want to compare your self to me then at 5 seconds you are smokin' fast (I haven't shot a star yet, but have watched it at our local match the last six months). If you want to compare yourself to some of the open guys I shoot with, your ok but need to transition a little faster.

Either way ask your self are you happy with that. where you on the edge can you go faster. Don't beat yourself up over the other guys. Just push yourself to beat yourself (and your friends)

It helps to see someone else shoot each individual star before you go at it. Watch for how the star rotates, and the speed of the rotation.

Below is a video clip of me shooting the star at the Indiana Sectional last year:

th_TexasStar.jpg

pharoh

thats a good way to shoot it, If it is a slow star I will shoot the 6 o'clock, then 4 o'clock, then let them all come in, similiar to what you did except I start with the bottom plate

Edited by PAPER KILLER

• 3 months later...
If you want to compare your self to me then at 5 seconds you are smokin' fast (I haven't shot a star yet, but have watched it at our local match the last six months). If you want to compare yourself to some of the open guys I shoot with, your ok but need to transition a little faster.

Either way ask your self are you happy with that. where you on the edge can you go faster. Don't beat yourself up over the other guys. Just push yourself to beat yourself (and your friends)

Nice Avator

I've done the star with a popper to activate it (spin) in 4.23 seconds. (6 shots)

I was C class at the time, Limited gun.

Some days are better than others.........

Yeah, that's how I've shot it, except we add a 10lb weight that drops off after it has started spinning. 6 shots here too, I seem to remember around 4.5 seconds with a .40 open blaster. Damn funny to watch some people try to chase the plates with their blasters though!

Edited by GrumpyOne

I have only shot a star one time. I was so worried about running out of ammo. I had no plan. I only missed one shot. Now I am afraid that my next one, now that I will expect to do okay, will be a disaster.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm facing this demon tomorrow. With the help of y'all, and a little practice today after setting up the stages for tomorrow's shoot, I think I have a better chance of beating it...

Also, thanks to Singlestack for pointers today!

• 2 weeks later...
Last time I shot one was at Area 3 last year, and I flat out refuse to count it when there is hard cover infront of 80% of the target.

That stage was an SOB for a lot of folks. Once it started spinning, it was like a propeller. It was offset weighted so it would spin faster. I saw several just quit and take the misses and others have to quit because they ran out of ammo. I got lucky and won that stage in L10.

That is some evil sh**

When I was polished up, I consitantly ran the star under 3 seconds from draw with my revolver. Now that I don't keep on top of that skill set it takes me the high 3s low 4s.

(Can't shoot it faster with a blaster either) but can do it the same times pretty much.

Hop

• 3 weeks later...

We shot the star this weekend at the Area 6 multigun championship with rifle on 1 stage, and shotgun on another... I used the techniques listed for pistol and cleared the stars before they really even moved... the forums strikes again :devil: It looked like I actually knew what i was doing :goof: . I shot top, top left, top right, bottom right, then the last one was straight down at 6 o'clock... smooth and clean. The shotugun was even quicker: you gotta love birdshot against that evil thing...