Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

TEXAS STAR

Liota

4.5 seconds 5 shots with a .22, but not much different from the others. The

D-class. On the "Star Magic" stage from the 2002 Carter Martin Classic, I did the stage in 32 seconds. It had two stars and a "hammer" (two-armed star). Best open time was 18.16 seconds by Ken Hicks.

Liota

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we had a star in a field course this past weekend

about 10 yards of movement..three small poppers..two paper, six plates on rack and texas star half covered by no shoot.....

just over 14 seconds..

• 3 weeks later...

I had just gotten over my "mental block" when it came to steel, then somebody brought a damn star to our range.......

.....all that therapy,,,,wasted. :P

Just kidding, I love shooting steel now,,,,don't care much for the Texas star yet. I've only shot one a couple times and both runs were disasters.

First time I was in a good rythmn but missed the first plate I intended to shoot but was going too fast so I popped another plate lower on the star,,,,that effectively screwed me.

Second time I shot a star, my rear site must of gotten caught on something,,,,anyway, it was out of adjustment pretty bad,,,,I blasted away on that star for a long time.

H4444

D class (until classifier update), limited STI, 10 yards:

Best 2.90

Average 3.5 ( If I hit the first plate on the draw :D .)

I have a fast draw and shoot an obscene amount of steel. I've been practicing too...

Last time I talked to Terry and Linda...the makers of the real Texas Star, a full star is only $400. You can set them up with full size plates, light plates and springs for .22LR, full sized plates and .22 springs for Cowboy Action shooting....great fun in any configuration.

Although Terry thinks that I'm sick for wanting a Star set up with rifle-grade steel...buah hah hah...

Alex

When my club bought a Texas star I got to "test" it for a hour or so and a Texas windmill too. Shooting the star when it's turning fast is fun as hell, not in a match, just for fun. The local match director loves steel, the last match was a 94 round match, 44 of which were steel, and half of those were 5"-6" round plates. I shoot 50 -100 rounds on a plate rack every time I practice just to keep up.

I did see a M class shooter shoot it by keeping his gun at the three o'clock position and letting the plates come to him as much as he could, I don't know what his time was, but I'm sure it was in the low three's.

The local club paid $400 for the star and around $200 to ship it.

• 1 year later...

Put a star in a steel match the other day, best 2 of 3 runs scored, 10 yards, surrender draw.

My first two runs were 3.00 and 2.95, shooting from the top down the right side. The third I tried to push and the wheels fell off, about as I expected.

FWIW

Although Terry thinks that I'm sick for wanting a Star set up with rifle-grade steel...buah hah hah...

Alex

Probably not a bad idea considering that sometime some ...... body, will shoot your plates with a rifle. If they are not T500 or whatever it is called, you will have nice holes in them. Totally ruined.

dj

and so I don't drift too bad, I do love to shoot a texas star. I know, I'm sick, but if you will follow your sights and call your shots, the plates really will come off the star.

dj

Matt Burkett has a bonus section on how to shoot a Texas Star in his newest DVD #7 how to practice. Some nice tips. I've never shot one personally but looks like it could be a nightmare if it starts to rotate much.

Matt Burkett has a bonus section on how to shoot a Texas Star in his newest DVD #7 how to practice.  Some nice tips.  I've never shot one personally but looks like it could be a nightmare if it starts to rotate much.

That's funny. It's just five plates on a round rack. It moves predictably dependent on what the competitor does. It's an interesting target array.

One word of warning, if someone sets one up and says, "Here, knock the plates off with these beanbags. It's easy." Just walk away. It sucks. Your timing will make you want to pull out your pistol or shotgun and clean the thing. The kids love it. People who've never shot it with a gun, like it. People who shoot it with guns, hate it. (Ahem, 1 plate. damn. <_< and the shame of all the kids laughing. :(:) ) A great time was had by all and we raised quite a bit of money for the local Crimestoppers chapter.

Liota

I don't remember my time but at one of Aikidales steel matches, I did it with four shots with my .22. When I shot the "right" hand, it fell straight down and knocked the lower right off!

Dave

Last time I shot one was at Area 3 last year, and I flat out refuse to count it when there is hard cover infront of 80% of the target.

That stage was an SOB for a lot of folks. Once it started spinning, it was like a propeller. It was offset weighted so it would spin faster. I saw several just quit and take the misses and others have to quit because they ran out of ammo. I got lucky and won that stage in L10.

the star alone at 12 yards with limited gun and steel loads gets cleaned in low 3s for me. A class limited

If this is in a stage in a match, back off a little....too much disaster factor there to try to push....especially if the evil match director puts NOSHOOTS behind the steel...

i dont really see why folks get their undershorts in a wad over this one..its easy, just shoot the plates.

Back in April the local club had a Texas Star sideshoot, on signal draw and engage the star from box A (about 10-12 yards distance). The bugs were horrible, screwing me up once one lit on my arm soon as they came up for my first shot, since this was a friendly side match, the RO let me reholster and start again, pissed as hell, I ran it in 3.96 with 5 shots. I'll probably never see that time again in my life. I'm a high D/low C shooter shooting Production with a XD.

*steps off the soapbox*

The whole thing as vluc said, you either spank it or it spanks you.