Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-21

cpty1

As I look at classifier 99-21, Mini-Mart, on paper a question comes to mind.  Is it better to go left to right and reduce muzzle movement back and forth, or near to far with the belief one can align on the closest target a shade quicker than the left side or right side targets.  This is the classifier where the gun and mag is on a shelf under table, engage 3 targets (2 w/no shoots) two rounds on each Virginia Count.  Thoughts?

(Edited by cpty1 at 7:44 am on Nov. 1, 2001)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two runs, one Limited 10 and one production.

Lim-10: 6.04, 57 points, 9.4370 HF. Glock 35. Shot it left to right both before and after reload. I had the distinct impression of not getting on the middle target as quickly as I'd have liked and also a hint of trigger freeze on the last target, both instances on the pass prior to the reload. Just didn't feel smooth. Should have been a high 5 second time for me.

Production: 6.35, 59 points, 9.2913 HF. Glock 34. Shot in same manner as Lim-10 run. Screwed up the reload. Other than that, no problems. The shooting part felt smooth.

99-21.gif

Edited by sperman
Fixed Broken Link

I liked that Classifier!!!

I love those close "point shooting" stages.

I shot it left-to-right and wouldn't do it any other way.  Near-to-far doesn't come into play (to me) being that all the targets are so close.

I don't think I even brought the gun up to eye level before I started to air-hole the targets.

The time saver here is the reload.

Remember, put an extra mag on the shelf in case you fumble the reload.

Not sure about percentages.  I usually just wait until USPSA posts the scores.  Can you make that determination before posting?  Lately, I've been trying to shoot classifiers at a pace I can duplicate 90% or so of the time.  When shooting well, my scores lately have been 82-84% in both divisions.  Can't seem to get up in the low M range.  It was tempting as close as those targets were last night to just go into hose mode and hope for the best.

Man that's a classifer you absolutely have to smoke to get a master class percentage.  It's one of the few classifers I don't change direction on after reloading.  Since the open target is the one on the left I shoot it left to right so I can accelerate off the to partial targets.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post percentages now that they've been posted:

Production HF 9.2913 USPSA listed as 81.738%

Lim-10 HF 9.4370 USPSA lsited as 80.229%

What I find interesting here is the lower Production hit factor has a higher overall classifier percentage than the Lim-10 run.  Not much, but still higher.  Also, I agree with Ron when he said, "I think a guy really has to haul a$$ to shoot this as a Master".

(Edited by cpty1 at 3:52 pm on Nov. 16, 2001)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anybody ever bring the reload magazine up with the gun at the buzzer and shoot with the spare mag in the weak hand?

Just thought it might speed up the reload........which is the time consuming part of this stage.

I assume it would be gaming but not breaking the rules since it doesn't specify when you must pick up the mag.

• 1 month later...

Nik,

I watched the "Burner's" tapes.  Here is how he always finds the dot:

He brings the gun up to just in front of his chest on the draw, he calls this his high-ready position (same on the reloads).  He then lines up his barrel/comp on the target as he presses the gun out (looking over the top).  As his press moves out, he starts to level the gun, lining the top of his scope up with the target.  As the press continues, the gun levels and he is looking thru the scope.  The dot comes right down.

The Burner does everything from the high-ready position.  All the time.  Even going from one shooting position to another.  That way he is always presenting the gun exactly the same way.

Of course, I was watching some of the early 90's tapes of the nationals...I think he forgot to turn on his dot on at one of the stages.  That is probably important too.  

Hope this helps.

(Edited by Flexmoney at 3:29 pm on Mar. 11, 2002)

• 2 months later...

We shot this one again today along with three others during our special classifier event. I sent my friend bonedaddy a long e-mail about the experience. What happened was really weird. The hit factor worked out to to a bit over 12.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 4:04 pm on May 26, 2002)

• 3 weeks later...

Flexmoney:

I was really in the groove. When I set up I took several sight pictures, reached for the pistol and mag several times and got mentally prepared. I drove the RO half crazy but it payed off. I had a good reaction time to the buzzer and hit one killer reload. FWIW, I hauled ass.  

• 7 months later...

Just finished shooting this my first "official card carrying" classifier.  I just started shooting in Oct. 2002.

In practice my best was 6.12 with A/C's, but during the match today I got a 6.82 with (11) A's and (1) C.

What I can't figure is where do you see how well that score was against everyone else?  Could someone point me to the URL that shows the current %'s so I can get a rough idea of what level I shot it at.

Thanks

(Edited by day5creations at 5:05 pm on Feb. 16, 2003)