Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Scopes

Flexmoney

I don't care for the reticle at all - way too busy.

An open class AR has no need for all those varying circles.  They'll only slow you down.

IMHO, Shepard scopes have no place on a hunting rifle.  Shepard offers the fantasy that you only need to put the correct circle on your bull elk-mule deer buck-antelope and BAM, you're a mighty hunter.  People should not be shooting game at 500, 600 yards and beyond.  I don't think it's ethical.  First of all, a shepard scope does not magically transform someone into a long range rifle shooter.  It doesn't teach you to adjust for wind or help your hold or trigger squeeze.  Sorry for the rant but I'm tired of marketers trying to sell gadgetry as a substitute for fieldcraft and marksmanship in the hunting fields.

For a "tactical" rifle used in Keneyathalon or Sniper-style matches, the Shepard may offer something but I'll stick with a duplex or mil-dot.

I agree with Kelly that the majority of hunters shouldn't shoot past 100-200 yards. Hell I've seen alot that can't shot past 50! I think you would be better served with a laser rangefinder and a conventional scope. Spend the time and learn your rifle, make a ballistics table and tape it to your rifle stock. It is just another gadget. Spend the money on ammo and learn to shoot the rifle.

Those that I know seem to like the Shepard scope. That is just there opinion. Lotta money!! They also have other scopes they like.

On the other hand, IMHO and from experience, I do not see a problem shooting an elk or deer at 300 yards. The problems is going hungry if you cannot make the shot.

Thanks

I don't have a problem with shooting a deer or elk at 300 yards either - if the hunter has practiced at 300 yards and can put all his shots into a pie plate sized target at that distance from the position he is using in the field.  Sorry for this rant also but I really feel strongly about this.  I see lots of hunters with all this fancy equipment at Rio Salado.  They ONLY shoot groups off the bench at 100 or MAYBE 200 yards.  Then they pronounce themselves ready to lay deer low at 400 yards.  I've NEVER seen anyone of them shooting at 400 yards - much less from the prone or sitting positions.   I've killed a lot of deer,elk,antelope and I have yet to kill one from a shooting bench!  Talk about thread drift but I sure do feel better.  Luckily, I'm the moderator!

You certainly don't need a Shepard scope to help you with a 300 yard shot with any self-respecting cartridge.

As for Springfield scopes, they sure are big!  A buddy of mine loves his but I don't think the glass or adjustments are of Leupold quality.