Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-19

ErikW

• 1 year later...

Shot this one today, started on the left side with T1, went right to left through the port, and finally T4-T1 from the right. It all felt very smooth (for me)

Production, formerly C class, 75.60 nationally.

Edited by Pharaoh Bender

• 8 months later...

Shot this in 11.52 7A, 4C, GULP 1M in limited. The last shot from the left side when right! Woulda coulda been 70 something with out the mike and a another Charlie hit....oh well. Gonna be harder to get outta B I guess than C :-)

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just shot this yesterday in minor L10, 19.36s, 56 points, HF 2.8926, stage points 58.0 and Stage % of 96.80

What sucks is that I'm 6'9" and the port you are shooting through is awfully low and the box you have to stand in awfully small. I was doing a funny duck squat to see through the port.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Shot this one for the first time, never seen a classifier like this and was a bit nervous . Shot called and good visual of magwell landed me somewhere I was satisfied with.

Limited/Major

Time: 10.58

HF    : 5.293

According to classifiercalc I got 80.8%

• 1 year later...

Shot at a local monthly today with some disagreement, MD said the stage would be thrown out. It’s Payne’s Pain. 1 string. Shot from box behind barricade. 4 shots from left side, 4 from right side, 4 from port. 

If if you only read the procedure on the stage diagram it sounds like the port must be shots 5-8.

The WSB states “You may shoot around the sides or through the port in any order”.

Some “fresh” ROs and CROs agreed.

One of the statements from the irate MD who is a SS was that this classifier has “been around forever”. I’m in my seventh year and it’s the first time I’ve shot it. I wonder if when PCC was added and the WSBs were updated they added the “clarification”. 

4 hours ago, rowdyb said:

You nailed it on the head already. There are two pieces of paper. One is a diagram people treat like the WSB. The other is the WSB.

Rhetorical question: why 2 separate pieces of paper? Just combine them!

10 hours ago, Balakay said:

Rhetorical question: why 2 separate pieces of paper? Just combine them!

Agreed.  Particularly on this one, it's dumb beyond belief to not have all the information in the first page.  Plenty of room for it.

While NROI is at it, make the language simpler to understand and eliminate contradictions and redundancies.

I think this stage procedure is clearer:

On the start signal, from within the fault lines, engage T1-T4 with only one round each from each side of the barricade and through the port.  Make a mandatory reload each time that you re-engage T1-T4.  You may shoot around the sides of the barricade and through the port in any order.

It's been around since 1999, that's what the 99-## means.

The WSB is new I think it was added recently after PCC forced a review of classifiers and updates to them.  Looks like they did it for all in an effort to be less confusing.

Prior versions had the instructions in the Stage Procedure as the WSB.  So that is something new I didn't realize.

But the existing Stage Procedure is clear you only shoot one side of the barricade  first and the other side last.

I can't remember if that was the procedure, or not, the times in prior years I shot it.  It may have been changed with the last update.

I don't remember the window being that small and with that at 4" wide I'd definitely consider shooting it last if I could.

If it was a bigger port I'd shoot it second.

If they did change the port size it was probably due to PCC and since it was usually shot 2nd, back in the day, they made it that way to keep the pistol HF's stay the same.

I'm sure though if the pistol HF's were expected to change they would have tossed it as a classifier.

Sometimes us old guys get hung up on yesterday and need to be gently, being old guys be nice, nudged into the future.

52 minutes ago, pskys2 said:

But the existing Stage Procedure is clear you only shoot one side of the barricade  first and the other side last.

Absolutely not.  Right from the Written Stage Briefing (emphasis added):

You may shoot around the sides of the barricade and through the port in any order.

I'll shoot it port, left, right; or left, right, port, or right, port, left,  or any other possible combination if I want to and be good to go.

3 hours ago, elguapo said:

Absolutely not.  Right from the Written Stage Briefing (emphasis added):

I'll shoot it port, left, right; or left, right, port, or right, port, left,  or any other possible combination if I want to and be good to go.

On second look you are correct!

From the USPSA Website:

99-19

Stage Procedure

Upon start signal, from Box A engage T1-T4 with only one  round  per  target  around  either  side  of  the  barricade.Then make a mandatory reload and from Box A engage T1-T4 with only one round per target through Port B, then make a mandatory reload and from Box A, engage T1-T4 with only one round per target from the remaining side of the barricade.

I saw no way to legally shoot the Port first?  Not when it starts with either side and ends with remaining side and the wording makes it seem as a progressive event?

BUT on the WSB it specifically states "You may shoot around the sides and through the port in any order".

In thinking on it though I'm sure we shot it in any order just with a mandatory reolad, makes me wonder if the older version had "in any order" listed in the Procedure?

I shot 99-19 in 2008 and 2001 (2x's), I can't say how I shot it either?  I'm pretty sure it was RS-Port-LS.

As Rowdy said we must now read both!  I missed the ending sentence on the WSB.

The wording of how to shoot it and the fact that instructions are spread over two pages is just dumb.

I posted already a much clearer, condensed language in a post above and took all of 5 min of thought to put it together.