Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Rangemaster 9mm

ghost1

I am interested in buying a STI Rangemaster in 9mm 5inch, probably because it has all the 'bells and whistles' on it, but cannot find any reports/reviews. I would much appreciate any info on this pistol and how does in compare to an STI Trojan in 9mm? Accuracy wise is there much of a difference?

Have you thought about a .40 instead? You have a lot more options with a .40. One plus is it can be made to shoot softer than the 9mm at a Minor PF level. There are no feed issues with a .40 either. If you don't reload then the 9mm may be the way to go for you. My favorite Kimber, of the ones I own and have owned, is my .40 CST.

Robbie seemed to do OK with a .40 at the Single Stack Classic.

It was interested at the West Coast Dual Championship. There seemed to be a lot of spots where the extra rounds from shooting minor would have come in very handy. I think Major/Minor in Single Stack is going to end up being pretty much a wash.

Lawman, why don't you do the math. Figure the stages where there were extra reloads with the 8 round guns vs the 10 round guns. Use 2.0 sec for a reload.

I think you will be at a disadvantage with the 9mm. There is just too much of a penality for hits outside of the A zone.

Sorry, this information was relayed to me by the two former World Champion shooters that I was shooting with, who were watching the increased engagement speed with the 9mm, the lack of slide lock reloads and the one stage you could shoot differently with 10 in the gun. I'll make sure to let them know that they clearly don't know how to, "do the math" when I shoot with them at Area 1 next weekend.

As I am from down under, OZ, (Australia), for all you people that are fortunate enough to be able to use any handgun calibre that you like, I envy you. We are restricted to 38 calibre (38 super maximum). This is the reason I am looking for a 9mm as I am already set with reloading equipment and thousands of empty cases. Good economics to stay with same calibre. If there is much of an advantage with 38 super I may be persuaded to change but at the moment I would rather stay with 9mm seeing that everything is scored as minor. Regards.

I am light. I also did the match. Depending on your accuracy level. The 9mm may still be the way to go. i.e. 6 hf stage. 1 extra reload, at 2 seconds, (your figure, not mine) will cost you 12 points, or 12 C's. Looks pretty even, or advantage 9mm. Of course this is assuming an extra reload each stage, which probably won't happen. I remember asking Dave Sevigny before the L-10 Nationals last year if he was shooting 9mm. He said that he gained about 2-4 % with the 40 over the 9mm and would be shooting the Glock 35. This was with both guns at even capacity. I'm thinking that 2 extra rounds may make up for that 2-4 %.

I don't really know what the hot setup will be. But I doubt the 9mm is going to be that big of a detriment.

After shooting the Dual Championships I have decided there is a place for shooting minor in Single Stack. It was not only saving a reload here and there it was the ability to shoot the steel faster because of the availability of extra rounds in the magazine. I shot major at that match but ordered the parts to build a 9mm as soon as I got home.........

After shooting the Dual Championships I have decided there is a place for shooting minor in Single Stack. It was not only saving a reload here and there it was the ability to shoot the steel faster because of the availability of extra rounds in the magazine. I shot major at that match but ordered the parts to build a 9mm as soon as I got home.........

If only you knew of somewhere to get a good barrel :D In all seriousness, thank you guys for donating that Bar-Sto pistol to the match. That was a really great thing to do and just showed how much of a great organization Bar-Sto is.

I am interested in buying a STI Rangemaster in 9mm 5inch, probably because it has all the 'bells and whistles' on it, but cannot find any reports/reviews. I would much appreciate any info on this pistol and how does in compare to an STI Trojan in 9mm? Accuracy wise is there much of a difference?

getting back to your question...

i don't own the STI rangemaster, but all of STI products are very good. you can't go wrong buying one.

lynn

A 9mm 1911 is not the easiest gun to make run with 10 round mags. Too bad slightly extended mags, like the Metalform 8 rd .45 extended, are not legal as I read the rules. You can fit 10 rds of .40 in them.

A .40 loaded to minor pf is softer than a 9mm.

Hey you guys, you ran off with my initial thread. All I wanted was some info on the Rangemaster and Trojan to see which was better value for my hard earned dollars. As the limit downunder is ten shot magazines, any variation does not come into the equation. I would still appreciate any added info.

Regards to all

Hey you guys, you ran off with my initial thread. All I wanted was some info on the Rangemaster and Trojan to see which was better value for my hard earned dollars. As the limit downunder is ten shot magazines, any variation does not come into the equation. I would still appreciate any added info.

Regards to all

Ghost - The value for money will be dependent on what the useage of the gun will be. The long dust cover will limit the legality of the gun in some rulebooks... The two 9mm Trojans I have had were very accurate and well built guns. Never had a Rangemaster.