Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CM 99-42 Fast n Furious

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nmchenry

As a right handed shooter would you start on the lfet or right?  Would you shoot the steel first if your club's steel falls slowly or would you go in order?  Would you shoot from the edge of the barricade away from the barricade on each side or would you shoot from away from barricade towards it?  Any other hints for a 50 percent "C" shooter?

I haven't shoot this one...

On paper, it looks like you can see all the targets (no waiting for a popper to fall so you can see a target that is behind it).

I like shooting from the left side first from around a barricade (right handed).  The left side is tougher for me.  Often I can get set better for that side before the buzzer goes off.  I would shoot it from the outside going in (pp1, t1, pp2, t2), reload, the outside in on the right side (pp4, t4, pp3, t3).

I wouldn't worry about how fast/slow the poppers fall.  I would worry about calling each and every shot.  You gotta know where your bullets are going to hit.

Assuming we all agree that for a right handed shooter, shooting targets aound the left side of a barricade is more difficult than the right, the fastest way to engage the targets on 99-42 is to engage the right side first.

Because of the awkward body position and further distance the gun needs to travel from the holster to the needed sight alignment on the left side, why not utilize that required time while your reloading?  

Before the buzzer, LOOK at the first target on the right side.  Shoot smoothly across the targets in order, don't shoot the steel first, then backtrack to get the paper.  If you do that you're killing time by pointing the muzzle somewhere where it already been.  You should've shot the target the first time the muzzle was there.

Reload while shifting your body weight to the left side of the barricade.  By the time you've reloaded you should be in 90% of the awkward position needed to engage the left side targets.

Time saved comes from:

-time to first shot

-engaging targets smoothly (don't skip around).

-using the reloading time to get into position on left side.

I shot this one a couple weeks ago.  All was going well untill I looked down to see my mag hanging halfway out during reload. So there I am with a fresh mag in my left hand and shaking the hell outta the gun in my right (trying to get the damn mag out!) It must have cost me 3 seconds.......

I shoot it exactly like Kyle says except I draw on the right popper. Shortest distance to get to the shooting. Saves 1 or 2 tenths. Although your personal comfort level might save the same time, so left is good.  At high classes this is a FAST and furious one with 6 secs or less the norm. No time to watch the poppers fall. In fact the ones on the ending side are usually falling as the shooter is unloading. Popper target popper taget is the only fast way to shoot this classifier. Remember economy of motion.

(Edited by BSeevers at 9:55 pm on May 12, 2002)

• 2 months later...

Bill is right  Start on the right side with the right popper first and work your way across to the left with popper then paper.

It is generally smoother to always reload into the gun as you are crossing sides then to have to chase the gun with the mag while you reload.  I hope this made sense.

I do not remember my time or hit factor but I was at 92% on this stage

Brian

(Edited by BBoyle at 12:33 am on July 25, 2002)

• 9 months later...

Shot this Saturday. Not good. Tried left side first, with a miss on a popper, then to right side where I was thinking FASTER and ended up taking 4 shots at a popper there. Worse yet, I shoot left first because I felt the barricade was twisted a little making the right more visible. I thought I'd shoot the hard stuff first then wear out the other side. WRONG.

Ended up with a 52 point 8.7 second run, for a HF of 5.9770 YUCK

Live and learn.

Tom

• 2 months later...

Calling the shot is good advice on this one... I second guessed myself and took an extra hit on the last paper target (worst part is I took an extra 3/4 second to decide.)

Limited Class / G35

53pts 0 Pen. 11.08sec 4.783hf DOH!

• 2 weeks later...

August 11, 2002: M Limited 49 0 5.93 8.2631 (86% nationally); IIRC, I shot it PP-PP-IPSC-IPSC.

July 20, 2003: M Limited 55 0 6.64 8.2831; this time I shot it PP-IPSC-PP-IPSC.

Drawing to the array on your holster side is a no-brainer.

Edited by Erik Warren

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe you did calculate my 99-11 for me, at least I think it was you!? I shot 99-42 at the MS Classic, it was my first stage so I didn't blow and go. 10.17 @52pts for a 5.11HF. This is for Production. I slowed up too much, but out of my squad only myself and one more shooter did not have mikes. I did not want to start my match that way!

• 3 months later...

Shot this again today at a club match in Production. I fumbled the draw bad, had to reshift my grip and reacquire the sights. As soon as I got squared away I went fullauto on it. Shot it in 6.23, 2 C's. If I didn't have almost a full sec in fumbling the gun, I would have 100'ed this one. Looks like a 98.780 anyway. But I did hit a smokin mag change. I really wish I hadn't blown the draw, I would have liked to see what could have happened...

edited to correct my time

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

7.5967 HF = c. 69%

I shot this one at our match yesterday... HAD a smoking good run on the right side (drew right and went pp-ipsc-pp-ipsc). Had my first 1 sec draw to a steel - even nailed the reload! Then went into total brain fart mode... started on the INSIDE pp when I wanted to go the outside and lost it all from there. Ended up throwing 3 shots downrange at the last popper. One of these days I have to learn recovery skills :)

Ended up with 8 sec run, down 0 - a nice wanky 6.9 HF. Blech!