Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

June 2006 (21st Century Chick Flicks)

Early on in this forum, I posted an encyclopedic list of my favorite films, and Pat Harrison commented, "I note a fair number of chick flicks on your list. Seeing Fried Green Tomatoes right above Full Metal Jacket made my brain melt," or words to that effect. But it's true I enjoy some films that might be characterized as "chick flicks," i.e. they're about relationships, no gun battles, no huge explosions - though in the list of quotes this month we do have some big hit movies, even a few crowd-pleasing romantic comedies. These are all recent films - the oldest is from 2000.

We're going to do things a little differently this month. Instead of just ten quotes, every quote is also going to have its own bonus point question, along with a bit of information about characters and setting. Maximum possible score is 20 points. As always, there's no real objective criteria or common thread to these quotes (well, aside from "21st Century Chick Flicks" this time out) beyond the fact I liked them. I thought they were cool. They stuck in my mind.

We pause for our regularly scheduled Movie Trivia Quote rules: Give the name of the actor/actress and the movie. If you want to be really cool you can also give the year, but that's not necessary to have a "got" answer. No building on someone else's answers; once a person has a "got" answer, it belongs to them. No playing, if you've already won a book. No using an Internet movie quote data base to find the answers, on your honor; breaking this rule will result in disqualification.

1. A woman talking to a man who's just asked for her phone number.

Woman: You want my number?

Man: I do. I do want your number.

Woman: Which number do you want....George?

Man: Now I like the way you say that: 'George.' Well, how many numbers you got?

Woman: Oh, I got numbers coming out of my ears. For instance, ten.

Man: 'Ten'?

Woman: Yeah, that's how many months old my baby girl is.

Man: You got a little girl?

Woman: Yeah. Sexy, huh? How about this for a number: six. That's how old my other daughter is. Eight is the age of my son. Two is how many times I've been married and divorced. Sixteen is the number of dollars I have in my bank account. 850-3943. That's my phone number. And with all the numbers I gave you, I'm guessing zero is the number of times you're gonna call it.

BONUS POINT: What is the last line (two sentences) that anyone says to the main character in this movie?

2. A woman and man sitting together having drinks.

Man: How long were you married?

Woman: A little less than a year. I've been divorced about nine months now. We worked together. You know that, right?

Man: Yeah, I knew that. I heard it. What was that like?

Woman: It was....great, in the beginning. Then it changed. Became competitive. Suddenly the better I did, the worse we did. The price I pay for being me. I know that now. No, truly. No, no, it's true.... Do you want to know all this about me?

Man: Keep going.

BONUS POINT: What is the name of the bar/restaurant where this conversation takes place?

3. A man who's just resigned his job talking to a woman who's just been fired.

To serve people takes dignity and intelligence. But remember, they're only people with money. And though we serve them, we are not their servants. What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise, after falling.

BONUS POINT: Name the six publications that have their covers shown at the end of the film.

4. A wife and husband standing on a train station platform.

Woman: If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone, in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know, only I can understand my own condition. You live with the threat, you tell me. You live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it, too. This is my right. It is the right of every human being.

BONUS POINT: In what three years do this movie's three main characters live?

5. A woman and a man going through couples therapy.

Woman: Whoo, would you two like to be left alone? Maybe you should get a room. You are hitting on our shrink!

Man: No, I'm not.

Woman: Yes, you are.

Woman: And you are a pathological flirt!

Man: Oh Jesus, five seconds ago I'm gay, now I'm a pathological flirt. Which one is it, Andie? Hell, besides, why would I need to hit on another woman? You've got more than enough personalities to keep me completely occupied.

BONUS POINT: What was the final score of the basketball game?

6. Two women sitting together having dinner.

Woman #1: All right, so tell me again.

Woman #2: Okay.

Woman #1: Roland, Steven and....Craig?

Woman #2: Greg.

Woman #1: Greg, right, okay. Do you have a favorite?

Woman #2: No, not particularly.

Woman #1: Well, does one of them get more time than everyone else? Or you favor one --

Woman #2: No. Basically, I call Roland when I'm hungry, Steven when I'm bored, and Greg when I'm horny.

Woman #1: Who do you call when you're sick?

Woman #2: I don't get sick.

Woman #1: Oh. Good system.

BONUS POINT: What author does the main character's ex-boyfriend quote to her in a restaurant early in the film?

7. A middle-aged man and an early 20s woman laying in bed together, clothed.

Woman: I'm stuck. Does it get easier?

Man: No. Yes. It gets easier.

Woman: Oh yeah? Look at you.

Man: Thanks. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.

Woman: Yeah. I just don't know what I'm supposed to be. I tried being a writer, but I hate what I write. And I tried taking pictures, but they're so mediocre. Every girl goes through a photography phase. Like horses. You take dumb pictures of your feet.

Man: You'll figure that out. I'm not worried about you. Keep writing.

Woman: But I'm so mean.

Man: Mean's okay.

Woman: What about marriage? Does that get easier?

Man: That's hard.

BONUS POINT: Are either of these characters wearing socks, and if so, whose feet are covered and whose feet are bare?

8. A woman and a man sitting in a cab. She's having a hystercial near-breakdown over the idea she might be in love with him.

Woman: What does it mean, 'the right man.' 'The love of your life.' The concept is absurd. The idea you can only be complete with another person is evil. Right?

BONUS POINT: In what year did these two characters first meet?

9. The first lines in the movie.

Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.

BONUS POINT: What is the main character's nickname for his girlfriend and why?

10. Two people walking together at night.

Woman: You wanna know a sccret?

Man: Yeah.

Woman: You're the sweetest guy I've ever known.

BONUS POINT: What is the name of the business for which the woman works?

The Domestic Watch Commander had to help me out this month. I read the quotes and had no clue as to any of the movies.

3. Maid in Manhatten / Jennifer Lopez, Bob Hoskins /

Bonus answer. People, Newsweek, Dogs Best Friend, Hotel Management, New York Post, New York

10. 13 going on 30 / Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo /

Bonus answer. Poise magazine

2. What A Woman Wants / Helen Hunt, Mel Gibson /

Bonus answer. The Backdoor

3. Maid in Manhatten / Jennifer Lopez, Bob Hoskins /

Bonus answer. People, Newsweek, Dogs Best Friend, Hotel Management, New York Post, New York

10. 13 going on 30 / Jennifer Garner, Mark Ruffalo /

Bonus answer. Poise magazine

torrpd has three correct, and three Bonus Points, for a total of six.

The forth one is Nicole Kidman in the hours.

San Esteban has one correct. The Bonus Point is still up for grabs.

Six movies left (#s 1, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9), plus seven Bonus Points (add #4 to the foregoing list), for a total of 13 points still out there.

Maybe this would be a good time to review the rules. You have to give me the movie and actors'/actresses' names. If there's more than one person speaking, you have to give me both persons' names.

5. How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days / Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey /

Bonus answer. Which Game?

Game they went to, 97-96 Knicks

Game Kate Hudson watched with the cooks, 97-95 Kings

5. How To Lose A Guy in 10 Days / Kate Hudson, Matthew McConaughey /

Bonus answer. Which Game?

Game they went to, 97-96 Knicks

Game Kate Hudson watched with the cooks, 97-95 Kings

torrpd has eight correct. I was looking for the first game, BTW. I completely forgot about the second one.

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind / Jim Carrey

Bonus answer. I think it is Tangerine because she was "so juicy and without pits"

but it also could be "Clem" short for Clementine????

and since no one wants to number 1

1. Erin Brokovich / Julia Roberts, Aaron Eckhart

Woo hoo. . . really need a book. . . and with wife's help. . . mabe.

#6 Kissing Jessica Stein Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen

#7 Lost in Translation Scarlett Johansson Bill Murray

#8 Before Sunset Ethan Hawke Julie Delpy

Bonus #8 9 years prior. . . 1995?

Bonus #4 1923, 1951, 2001

Bonus #1 Erin’s boss, Ed says: Now you're gonna say it's not enough. Too bad. Cause this is where I draw the line.

9. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind / Jim Carrey

Bonus answer. I think it is Tangerine because she was "so juicy and without pits"

but it also could be "Clem" short for Clementine????

and since no one wants to number 1

1. Erin Brokovich / Julia Roberts, Aaron Eckhart

Okay, torrpd has 10 correct. For the Bonus Point on #9, you need to pick one nickname - and come up with the appropriate reason which neither of your answers is.

#6 Kissing Jessica Stein Jennifer Westfeldt and Heather Juergensen

#7 Lost in Translation Scarlett Johansson Bill Murray

#8 Before Sunset Ethan Hawke Julie Delpy

Bonus #8 9 years prior. . . 1995?

Bonus #4 1923, 1951, 2001

Bonus #1 Erin’s boss, Ed says: Now you're gonna say it's not enough. Too bad. Cause this is where I draw the line.

chunger has 5 correct. The only thing you missed was the Bonus Point for #1.

I object on a technicality!

Torrpd probably has this one won 'cause there aren't enough points left to overcome his advantage, but #2 should be "What Women Want" instead of "What a Woman Wants." :ph34r: Hellen Hunt/Mel Gibson

-'Chung

Edited by chunger

O.K. watched Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, again!

The only nickname I heard was Tangerine (Carrey) called her that twice in the same scene and it was because she dyed her hair orange to match her sweatshirt.

O.K. watched Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind, again!

And don't you feel like a better human being for it?

The only nickname I heard was Tangerine (Carrey) called her that twice in the same scene and it was because she dyed her hair orange to match her sweatshirt.

You have ten correct.

#7 Bonus question no socks either character.

You have seven correct.

Bonus # 1 - Albert Finney to Julia Roberts "Do they teach Beauty Queens how to apologize? Because you suck at it".

You have 11 correct. Okay, obviously torrpd Wins a Book. The score thus far: torrpd 11, chunger 7, San Esteban 1.

"But wait!" you say, "That's only 19 answers." 'Tis true, we still have one Bonus Point unaccounted for:

6. What author does the main character's ex-boyfriend quote to her in a restaurant early in the film?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Y'know, just in a "he who laughs last, laughs best" sort of way?

• 1 month later...

Just FYI, here's the June 2006 answer key:

1. A woman talking to a man who's just asked for her phone number.

Woman: You want my number?

Man: I do. I do want your number.

Woman: Which number do you want....George?

Man: Now I like the way you say that: 'George.' Well, how many numbers you got?

Woman: Oh, I got numbers coming out of my ears. For instance, ten.

Man: 'Ten'?

Woman: Yeah, that's how many months old my baby girl is.

Man: You got a little girl?

Woman: Yeah. Sexy, huh? How about this for a number: six. That's how old my other daughter is. Eight is the age of my son. Two is how many times I've been married and divorced. Sixteen is the number of dollars I have in my bank account. 850-3943. That's my phone number. And with all the numbers I gave you, I'm guessing zero is the number of times you're gonna call it.

ANSWER: Julia Roberts & Aaron Echhart, Erin Brockovich, 2000.

BONUS POINT: What is the last line (two sentences) that anyone says to the main character in this movie?

Do they teach beauty queens how to apologize? Because you suck at it.

2. A woman and man sitting together having drinks.

Man: How long were you married?

Woman: A little less than a year. I've been divorced about nine months now. We worked together. You know that, right?

Man: Yeah, I knew that. I heard it. What was that like?

Woman: It was....great, in the beginning. Then it changed. Became competitive. Suddenly the better I did, the worse we did. The price I pay for being me. I know that now. No, truly. No, no, it's true.... Do you want to know all this about me?

Man: Keep going.

ANSWER: Mel Gibson & Helen Hunt, What Women Want, 2000.

BONUS POINT: What is the name of the bar/restaurant where this conversation takes place?

ANSWER: The Back Door.

3. A man who's just resigned his job talking to a woman who's just been fired.

To serve people takes dignity and intelligence. But remember, they're only people with money. And though we serve them, we are not their servants. What we do, Miss Ventura, does not define who we are. What defines us is how well we rise, after falling.

ANSWER: Bob Hoskins, Maid in Manhattan, 2002.

BONUS POINT: Name the six publications that have their covers shown at the end of the film.

ANSWER: People, Newsweek, Hotel Management, Dog's Best Friend, New York Post, New York.

4. A wife and husband standing on a train station platform.

Woman: If I were thinking clearly, Leonard, I would tell you that I wrestle alone, in the dark, in the deep dark, and that only I can know, only I can understand my own condition. You live with the threat, you tell me. You live with the threat of my extinction. Leonard, I live with it, too. This is my right. It is the right of every human being.

ANSWER: Nicole Kidman, The Hours, 2003.

BONUS POINT: In what three years do this movie's three main characters live?

ANSWER: 1923, 1951, 2001.

5. A woman and a man going through couples therapy.

Woman: Whoo, would you two like to be left alone? Maybe you should get a room. You are hitting on our shrink!

Woman: Yes, you are.

Man: No, I'm not

Woman: And you are a pathological flirt!

Man: Oh Jesus, five seconds ago I'm gay, now I'm a pathological flirt. Which one is it, Andie? Hell, besides, why would I need to hit on another woman? You've got more than enough personalities to keep me completely occupied.

ANSWER: Kate Hudson & Matthew McConaughey, How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, 2003.

BONUS POINT: What was the final score of the basketball game?

ANSWER: New York Knicks 97, Sacramento Kings 96.

6. Two women sitting together having dinner.

Woman #1: All right, so tell me again.

Woman #2: Okay.

Woman #1: Roland, Steven and....Craig?

Woman #2: Greg.

Woman #1: Greg, right, okay. Do you have a favorite?

Woman #2: No, not particularly.

Woman #1: Well, does one of them get more time than everyone else? Or you favor one --

Woman #2: No. Basically I call Roland when I'm hungry, Steven when I'm bored, and Greg when I'm horny.

Woman #1: Who do you call when you're sick?

Woman #2: I don't get sick.

Woman #1: Oh. Good system.

ANSWER: Jennifer Westfeldt & Heather Juergensen, Kissing Jessica Stein, 2003.

BONUS POINT: What author does the main character's ex-boyfriend quote to her in a restaurant early in the film?

ANSWER: Anais Nin.

7. A middle-aged man and an early 20s woman laying in bed together, clothed.

Woman: I'm stuck. Does it get easier?

Man: No. Yes. It gets easier.

Woman: Oh yeah? Look at you.

Man: Thanks. The more you know who you are, and what you want, the less you let things upset you.

Woman: Yeah. I just don't know what I'm supposed to be. I tried being a writer, but I hate what I write. And I tried taking pictures, but they're so mediocre. Every girl goes through a photography phase. Like horses. You take dumb pictures of your feet.

Man: You'll figure that out. I'm not worried about you. Keep writing.

Woman: But I'm so mean.

Man: Mean's okay.

Woman: What about marriage? Does that get easier?

Man: That's hard.

ANSWER: Scarlett Johansson & Bill Murray, Lost in Translation, 2003.

BONUS POINT: Are either of these characters wearing socks, and if so, whose feet are covered and whose feet are bare?

ANSWER: Both characters' feet are bare.

8. A woman and a man sitting in a cab. She's having a hystercial near-breakdown over the idea she might be in love with him.

Woman: What does it mean, 'the right man.' 'The love of your life.' The concept is absurd. The idea you can only be complete with another person is evil. Right?

ANSWER: Julie Delpy, Before Sunset, 2004.

BONUS POINT: In what year did these two characters first meet?

ANSWER: 1995.

9. The first lines in the movie.

Random thoughts for Valentine's Day, 2004. Today is a holiday invented by greeting card companies to make people feel like crap.

ANSWER: Jim Carrey, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, 2004.

BONUS POINT: What is the main character's nickname for his girlfriend and why?

ANSWER: Tangerine, for the color of her hair.

10. Two people walking together at night.

Woman: You wanna know a sccret?

Man: Yeah.

Woman: You're the sweetest guy I've ever known.

ANSWER: Jennifer Garner & Mark Ruffalo, 13 Going On 30, 2004.

BONUS POINT: What is the name of the business for which the woman works?

ANSWER: Poise magazine.