Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

winchester 70 with heavy barrel

dave pasos

I found a win. receiver complete (new) with a 1'' full length barrel in 308.  I was wondering if the Winchester receiver would be a good setup to start with?  I dont know what twist the rifling is?   Later I would shop around for a sniper stock.   any thought before I buy this?   Asking price is 800.00    thanks

Ouch!!  

That had better be one special barrel on that sucker.  Why mess with such an unknown entity when you can buy a Rem 700 VSS for less WITH the groovy HS Precision stock?  (If this barrel/receiver assy has been test fired and has a test target demonstrating 1/2 MOA, then I take it all back.)

Win's are great rifles, don't get me wrong, but unless you pay half of that price, you could buy a finished gun for less that what you can build one.  There's a guy at our club selling a McMillan .308 (demonstrable 1/2-3/4 MOA) for like $1300-1600 with everything: scope, adjustable stock, etc.  Look hard, I think you can get a finished rifle with proven accuracy for less bucks.  

Eric

I need more detail.  When you say new does that mean "never fired" or the latest version of the Model 70 or a new barrel? What kind of Model 70 is it: pre-64, post-64 or post 94?  Does it have controlled feed?

What kind of barrel is it?  factory or custom?  If custom, who chambered and mounted it?  Plus a 1 inch contour sounds awfully heavy.

$800 seems very high for a new Model 70 action with a factory barrel.

FYI, I really like the pre-64 and post-94 (controlled feed) Model 70s.  I like them better than remingtons (smoother feeding and simpler triggers).  Don't feel like you need a remington just b/c every police agency uses one.  Most of the great highpower shooters (Tubb, Tompkins, Jensen etc.) use or have relied on pre-64 Model 70s for their cross-the-course guns.  Model 70s rock!

thanks guys!   Iam not to swift on rifles.  The only way to learn is to ask questions.  I think I'll pass on this one.  I was aware of some of the things you guys mention but I didnt know how to verify because the salesperson at the shop didnt know.     thanks

Dave,

If you want to do it on the cheap copy my rifle! Savage Tactical in .308 ($350.00)I had the muzzle recrowned ($15.00), added the stock off a Savage 112 BVSS( this stock has a flatter fore end) and had it pillar bedded( 200.00 for both), and got a trigger job( FREE, thank you Mr. Gunsmith). Slap on a TASCO World Class plus 36x scope( 150.00 w/rings and bases) and BAM! 715.00 out the door with a best group of .305" Center To Center @ 100 yards. I will mail copies of the target to any non-believers!

Cheers,

Chris

P.S. If you want the best possible infomation on rifle shooting in general a subscription to Precision Shooter is a MUST! Besides, it's a great read any way!

Eric,

Amen, Brother! You can fix the trigger thing via timney but the stocks do indeed still reek!! Actually, the stock Savage markets for across the course work (Hi Power) ain't bad but I don't think they sold enough rifles to ever come across a loose one. Time to call McMillen I guess.  

Cheers,

Chris