Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.30 Carbine For 3 Gun?

mac266

Is it possible to make major with a .30 carbine? It's a .308 diameter bullet, but I'm not sure how fast it goes. Anyone have any experience with these guns? It would be a cheap way to start shooting 3 gun, since I already own a .30 carbine, plus it would piss off the guys shooting $3000 AR-15s in minor :)

You might push a 110 gr bullet out of a 30 carbine past 2000 fps with good handloads.

Thats a PF of around 220, which is a L-O-N-G way from major. The carbine is a neat little gun, and if there isn't anything past 150 yds or so it will work for 3-gun, but it's never

going to whup the AR's. I shot my first 3 gun matches with a D model SKS--it's what I

had, and it worked fine. I shoot an AR now.

Major PF for rifle is 320.

My M1 carbine is not really accurate enough for real rifle matches, but would work fine for the short range match locally.

If that is what you have, then go ahead and start with it. If you feel the need to upgrade, then it is not necessary to spend $3K on an AR. Get a feel for the matches you want to go to and equip accordingly.

Lee

It is NOT possible to make major with the .30 carbine.

An $800 AR can and will beat up on a .30 carbine.

That said, a .30 carbine is definitely competitive on the short course stuff.

+1 on what the other guys said. It will make minor and work fine on IPSC paper to 100 yards. I am a run-what-ya-brung type of guy. Shoot it, have fun, and then decide if you need to spend more money.

Billski

I cannot think of a way to jack a .30 carbine up high enough to make major. On the other hand why not use one in a three gun match? The carbine was intended to engage man-sized targets at ranges of about 100 yards in the first place. The only reason it shoots a round which seens so punny to us is that is it was adapted from a mid-sized hunting round which was popular at the time. :D

You don't need to drop 3 K on an AR 7-800 and you'll have a good irons set up or one with a cheap 1x-4x scope on it. i think it would be fun to shoot one but not competitive.

for the amount of power they put out they have a lot of recoil. sights aren't that great if i recall.

AR's are THE gun right now i'd like to see some others compete with it. but nothing has happened so far... a good AK with major loads would be super cool. but until the time comes.... the AR is hard to beat.