Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bladetech Doh Holsters To Be Illegal?

Attila

So...the USPSA BOD is considering banning DOH's in...?

1) Production Division

2) SS Division

3) All of the above

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Edited by EricW

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The info that I got was All of the Above. However, it's a consideration only, not set in stone. I've heard from several people that think the DOH is just as fast as a race holster. And that the only holster to have in Production is the DOH. Apparently these folks think that is a good enough reason to get rid of it. I don't. I think that anytime there are a vocal minority of people that want a rule change the BOD should consider it. Otherwise they're just sticking their heads in the sand.

I guess its time we wrote some letters. BTW, when did it become logical to ban things which are successfull? I can try to imagine how these conversations go ... "Hey X made a widget which is perfect for our game, and it matches all our rules. Whats more .. everyone seems to like it. We can't have that! Ban it! Ban it!"

Lets see ... S&W debacle, SP-01, H&K with their jetfunnel, and now the DOH. Not all those are indentical issues, but it seems like a trend. Heck, with the DOH they could at least say we are trying to be more like IPSC, .. oh wait, no they can't.

Jeez! stop dicking around with the rules because someone's superhero underwear are in a bunch over some percieved "tactical" issue on which you couldn't get any 5 people to agree on.

Edited by Vlad

...when did it become logical to ban things which are successful? I can try to imagine how these conversations go ... "Hey X made a widget which is perfect for our game, and it matches all our rules. Whats more .. everyone seems to like it. We can't have that! Ban it! Ban it!" .

If you are looking for logic, then the logic would likely be that the rules say "non-race holster" (or words similar).

So, does a dropped and offset holster fit the "non-race" rules? Aren't people are buying them, and aren't they made for one thing (except the small number that are actually used by women) ???

I think the horse has left the barn for Production Division. And, you won't be able to kill this one holster without re-writing the entire rules...clearly. The next holster would just jump into it's place anyway (with the wording of the current rules).

Single-stack...that might be a different barn. It would make some sense to go with a bit of standardization. And, "carry-type" holster would be the logical standard. Besides, don't people that want to use that old, antiquated platform (1911) want to use old, antiquated holsters too. :P:D:)

I use them for Production and Single Stack, for Production it was the only holster I cold find for a Beretta 96V, and I likes the qualitym so I got one for the 1911..

Like Flex said...

IF, and maybe that's a big if.. they want to dis-allow it in either.. just publish a good set of guidelines, with measurements.. no more "if it looks like a duck.." that's too subjective.

And let me make whatever changes I need to make it allowable.

If you are looking for logic, then the logic would likely be that the rules say "non-race holster" (or words similar).

So, does a dropped and offset holster fit the "non-race" rules? Aren't people are buying them, and aren't they made for one thing (except the small number that are actually used by women) ???

Actually it does say non-race, but it doesn't say conceled carry. Even though I'm sure some people have used them as such, I'd admit that the DOH is not a concealable holster. But it would make a dandy holster for open carry. It also rocks for 3gun type things where I want a secure holster that rides a bit lower so I can put crap on my belt, but I don't want a leg holster.

In all honesty I think the DOH is a superior holster, but I wouldn't think the earth stood still if I had to move it an inch or two, or if I went back to my belt Cen-Dex holster. I do think it would be a very bad idea to tell all the DOH owners "bugger off, we changed our minds, nevermind the fact that the rules allow for it, we just don't like it".

...when did it become logical to ban things which are successful? I can try to imagine how these conversations go ... "Hey X made a widget which is perfect for our game, and it matches all our rules. Whats more .. everyone seems to like it. We can't have that! Ban it! Ban it!" .

.... Aren't people are buying them, and aren't they made for one thing (except the small number that are actually used by women) ???....

Kyle is right. They were made for those of us with long arms and spare tires. :lol:

I've got an idea, why not send the little whiners that keep bitching about other people's equipment their forty bucks back and we can all get on with our lives?

This sh*t is getting old.

I'm not too fond of arguing over little details that really don't make much of a difference (that's time best spent practicing), but it seems like since I've joined USPSA (some 5 months ago) everything I've purchased or done with my gun has been called into question.

Edited by Z-man

Truth be known - Probably been more slabsides carried cocked and locked stuck in the front waistband of the pants than any other way......

Thread-drift <on>

A year or so back I attended a non-USPSA "benefit" match here in Washington state. Most of the people at the match were The Usual Suspects, but there was one guy in our squad that nobody had seen before... and several of us noticed that he didn't seem to be wearing a holster belt.

Well, when it was his turn to shoot on the first stage, he pulled up the back of his jacket and pulled a *gorgeous* (and apparently unfired) NRA Centennial Commemorative Gold Cup out of the back of his pants. No holster, nuthin... just stuck down between the cheeks. In what we came to refer to as the "ITC" holster (In The Crack).

There was a discussion about that not being the right way to really carry a .45 There was additional discussion about it being cocked and locked. And, there was heated discussion about whether he should even shoot the thing - it was unfired, and probably worth some coin in its unfired state. We ended up finding a spare set of gear (including a gun) that he could shoot the match with.

It did bring up, though, all kinds of good observations about the elegance of the design of the ITC holster. It comes, for example, with a built-in sight rail...? Plus, everybody has one. Of course, it does have the potential to result in a sh__ty draw... (sorry)

thread drift <OFF>

;-)

B

I've got an idea, why not send the little whiners that keep bitching about other people's equipment their forty bucks back and we can all get on with our lives?

+1

On one of the other many threads on this subject one of our own posted that the Scorpion holster was/is legal everywhere (USPSA & IDPA) and the hanger could be purchased individually. Looked on the Blade Tech website and it looks like those of "us" who would be required to get a different holster IF the rules are changed could do so for the amount of $6.00. Looks to me like this would not create that big of a financial hardship on anyone...

Some ITC holsters have a sort of suede lining...guys (and Janet Reno) only... :ph34r:

I have a DOH that should be legal no matter what. Of course, it fits my Bedell Shorty Open gun...

Alex

+1

On one of the other many threads on this subject one of our own posted that the Scorpion holster was/is legal everywhere (USPSA & IDPA) and the hanger could be purchased individually. Looked on the Blade Tech website and it looks like those of "us" who would be required to get a different holster IF the rules are changed could do so for the amount of $6.00. Looks to me like this would not create that big of a financial hardship on anyone...

Merlin,

Respectfully, it's not the money, it's the unmitigated horseshit factor. Enough is enough. If someone loves IDPA's holster rules and can't live with the current USPSA rules, they should go shoot IDPA. This is typical B/C shooter, "I'm gonna stick it to so and so" kindergarten sandbox nonsense.

I don't own a DOH. But I'm not going to spite anyone else for doing so. IPSC matches are not won and lost on 0.1 seconds. Time for a few people to grow up.

E

Edited by EricW

Hey,

I'm a 'C' class shooter and I do NOT give a shit about what kind of holster somebody else uses. If it is legal according to current rules (and safe) lets all STFU and just shoot. Hell, I have a DOH and like it but really, in a match with 6-10 draws, does the extra .1 second on the draw make or break a shooter? If if you think it does, spend the $60 on a DOH or pratice some more with your gear of choice.

Can't we all just get along and kill cardboard?

Eric

+1

Merlin,

Respectfully, it's not the money, it's the unmitigated horseshit factor. Enough is enough. If someone loves IDPA's holster rules and can't live with the current USPSA rules, they should go shoot IDPA. This is typical B/C shooter, "I'm gonna stick it to so and so" kindergarten sandbox nonsense.

I don't own a DOH. But I'm not going to spite anyone else for doing so. IPSC matches are not won and lost on 0.1 seconds. Time for a few people to grow up.

E

Hey - I agree. I own a DOH - 3 in fact... For a SS 1911 - a SigP220 and a CZ SP01 - but if the rules change I will lose no sleep nor will it chap my nether regions. I will buy a belt adapter and never miss a stroke. I came to shoot - whatever the rules - don't care now and won't care tomorrow. ;)