Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ray "TheLastGM" Echols

Shooter Grrl

MAN SLIPS ON TRAIL, FALLS 200 FEET TO DEATH - May 16

A 63-year-old Mariposa man died Monday morning after falling on a mountain trail near Lake Arrowhead, a San Bernardino County coroner's office news release said. On May 15th at about 9:00 AM, Wendell Ray Echols was hiking when he lost his footing and fell about 200 feet. Another hiker called emergency personnel who responded and pronounced him dead at the scene. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident. [soCalOutdoors News]

We shot regularly with Ray the entire time we were in Northern California. He was a very special person and will be greatly missed.

MAN SLIPS ON TRAIL, FALLS 200 FEET TO DEATH - May 16

A 63-year-old Mariposa man died Monday morning after falling on a mountain trail near Lake Arrowhead, a San Bernardino County coroner's office news release said. On May 15th at about 9:00 AM, Wendell Ray Echols was hiking when he lost his footing and fell about 200 feet. Another hiker called emergency personnel who responded and pronounced him dead at the scene. The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department is investigating the incident. [soCalOutdoors News]

We shot regularly with Ray the entire time we were in Northern California. He was a very special person and will be greatly missed.

kath-i hadn't heard about this. sux big time. ray was our section coordinator for many years until he talked carl schmidt into it. he had retired fromk teaching and last time i talked to him he was enjoying traveling to ireland/scotlan and drinking in every pub. ray was a real neat guy with a twisted sense of humor, as well as a master class shooter. he always shot a match in sandals. i remember shooting the 2002 nationals and he forgot his sandals...went to walmart and bought a cheap pair of tennis shoes, took out his knife and cut off the top of the front of them...was hilarious.

i will miss him and his stories...

Ray loved hiking and frequently walked a different path than others even when he wasn't hiking (upside down C-More, raggedy open topped soccer shoes for shooting, thelastGM email address, etc...) I will dearly miss him & his offbeat sense of humor.

Nolan

Ray was definitely one of the best. To hell with shooting (even though he could definitely hold his own). He was one of the best people one could ever meet. Like Nolan said, you always knew Ray was shooting, first because he would always be running around having some off collar humor to say to anyone that would listen. Then, you'd see the upside down C-More and raggedy shoes.

Truly a great loss to our sport and the Northern California Section. He was an incredible man and those of us that knew him, are blessed and are better for having done so.

Rich

• 1 month later...