Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Scope For 3-gun/combat And Varmints?

Trumpet

Alright,

I posted this in the "optics" section of ARFCOM and on USN. I've decided that if I go for a "precision" AR upper (either a Noveske/Denny or Grant build, or the MSTN 17" upper we talked about Zak ;) ), I'm going to need an optic. Now before you all scoff at the idea of something being suitable for varmints and three gun, let me clarify that this is for varmint hunting in MD, where shots will seldom be as far as 300 yards etc (and keeping in mind that eastern groundhogs are a hell of a lot bigger than prarie dogs). Now, I'd LOVE to have a Short Dot, but there's just no way it's going to happen. I currently have a TA31F, but I'm not sure it would allow for good precision work. I'd be selling the ACOG to purchase this, so I'm looking for something in the $700-1000-ish range. These are what I was thinking of....

IOR 1.1-4X

Trijicon Accupoint

Meopta 1-4 K dot

Mike from CS also recommended...

IOR 1.5-8 for $1,099

IOR 1.1-4 for $695

Leupold 2.5-8x36mm $?

Leupold MR/T M2 $849

Now, does the IOR 1.5-8 REALLY outshine the 1.1-4 enough to justify the high price? I mean if I'm looking at $1099, I would think I'd be WAY better off with a Nightforce NXS 1424 1-4 power (with either the FC-2 or NP-1 reticle). What of the Meopta? Any I'm missing? What would you all recommend? Would the TA31F be precise enough for varmints (remember we don't have prarie dogs out here. We have big ole fat groundhogs) out to 300 yards? I've never shot a 3-gun match (yet), but if I do and I like it (I haven't met a form of shooting competition I don't like) I'd like to have to not "upgrade".

Thanks

Rich

I upgraded from a Leupold 1.5-5 VariX-III to a IOR 1.1-4. I've run my two AR's (both with IOR) out to 900 yards. A very nice scope, if with a bit "busy" for 3-Gun. The new dot reticle, though...

Although I still have my Trijicon 01NSN on another upper, and like it too.

A

I bought a MeOpta from CS and while it was nice I just thought it was toooo Looong. Going with an Aimpoint instead for this but the 3 gun stuff I shoot is all short with a few shots at 100 yards.

I will give a heads up to good service from CS Gunworks since he took the scope back and traded me for a Aimpoint.

Only my opinion, but the perfect 3-gun scope hasn't been made yet. But there are a lot of makers working on it. Until then, the TA31F you have will hold it's value very well and do a good job for groundhogs and, with a little ingenuity, work well for 3-gun too. The TA31F has excellent field of view and very good glass. 300 yard groundhogs should be very doable with the right gun/ammo.

For 3-gun, the ACOGs work great for 100 yards and beyond. for the close stuff the BAC can work if you practice it a LOT, or attach a front cover and use the red chevron as an occluded reflex sight. With both eyes open this is easy to do and with a little practice as easy as shooting with an Aimpoint. The PMT cover is the best one made and the new one that Steve designed for the TA31 is a work of art.

On your question concerning the IOR 1.5-8 vs the 1.1-4.

The 1.5-8's area of expertise is not really the 3gun or mid range dog hunting venue. It was designed for those who'se mission requires transitions from CQB distance to 500 or so yards at human size targets on the fly and back again. The genesis of the requirements came from discussions with military personnel who were looking to improve the features of the scope they were currently using.

It is over-built in features and consequently, cost, for the 3 gun game. It's strength is more towards the high end of mid range distances which are really not applicable to 3 gunning.

It does have the 2nd generation CQB reticle which I have spoken to here in earlier threads.

We are marketing it mainly to law enforcement and military personnel and not the civilian market for now since there were a small number made on the first production run and are only a few left the last time I checked. But, I feel if you were going to look hard at the IOR offerings, you are better served for 3 gunning and large dogging with the 1.1-4. The 1.5-8 is over built for these games. The prices you mention for these scopes are full retail, there is a wide variety of prices available for these items if you look around a bit.

The Meopta also works for 3 gunning if a large dot works for you. Those who like a large dot swear by this scope. Meopta just had a large price increase on this scope, perhaps in reaction to its recent popularity.

Edited by Cactustactical

The Leupold 1.5-5 M4 would be my choice for the uses you discussed, they are being used successfully for 3 gun and offer a finer aiming point and more magnification than most you have discussed, the reticle gives you some options for longer range, and the price is not prohibitive. Should work well on large dogs to about 400 or s0. jeff

Thanks guys,

Problem is, I've never shot a 3-gun match before. My club has 3-gun/USPSA matches and I figured I'd give 'em a shot this summer. I've never met a form of shooting competition I didn't like ;) . Anyway, figure that a medium sized eastern groundhog is about 10"x13" and most shots are under 300 yards.

How big is the dot on the Meopta? Also, on the MR/T M2 would the "big circle" of the reticle be used for the close in stuff, and the inner cross hair for the precision (sorta like an EOTech)?

If I'm going to pracitce shooting using the BAC, how do I do it, and what kind of cover do I get for the TA31F? I assume if I put a JPoint/Docter type dot on the ACOG it will put me in some "crazy" class with spaceguns, etc? I'd like to shoot relatively "stock", heck maybe even "heavy metal" :P

Thanks

Rich

If possible, DON'T spend good money on an optic you're never used or at least played with!

Go to a 3 gun match and shoot whatever you have (e.g., irons). Ask the other competitors to look through their optics. Most will gladly let you look.

I like the Meopta, but the dot is big. I don't know the exact size, but it's significantly larger than my 4 MOA Aimpoint dot (maybe a 6MOA?).

I like the Meopta, but the dot is big. I don't know the exact size, but it's significantly larger than my 4 MOA Aimpoint dot (maybe a 6MOA?).

Is that at 4X or 1X?

RS,

According to this thread: Meopta dot it's

* 8 moa at 1x - which sounds correct,

* 2 moa at 4x - which sounds smaller than it looks to me, but I could be wrong.