Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

You Have Five Minutes To Look Over The Stage

The panic-type walkthroughs happen [most always for me, anyway] on stages I'd be happy to shoot once I figured it out. By themselves, they're fair tests of our shooting skills. If we get the opportunity to form a plan. BUT, some setups just don't lend themselves to having 15-17 people - speaking multiple languages - go thru start to finish in a conga-line & see how it all works.

Maybe a good way to address this [squad of 15 shooters has 5 minutes to look] would be in the classes given to CRO's and RM's. If "I can see how it works" is a criteria in the official course of instruction for people who create & run stages, then that should have a positive effect at major matches, where the range crew & stage designs have to be submitted for approval.

Stages that aren't approved [for confusion factor, time all the shooters would spend in a panic wondering if they got THIS target from THAT port, or twice, or not at all..] could be sent back the match staff with suggestions for reworking. Often a few black-cloth vision barriers would do the trick. Stage is [hopefully] approved the 2nd time thru.

Something like that...

I haven't been to a CRO class or submitted a stage to Sedro but someone who has could chime in. Maybe I've got it all backwards.

PS - having squads of 10-12 people cures a lot of this too

Edited by eric nielsen

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After the stage briefing the RO reads out the shooting order and the shooters can then line up in this order to walk-through. After 5 minutes the RO throws everyone off the stage, then allows the first shooter 1 full minute walk-through by him/herself.

After that shooter has shot the stage then the on-deck shooter has the length of time to patch the targets to have their walk-through. No-one else should be allowed to walk-through except the on-deck shooter. The RO and SCORER will have their hands full doing the scoring so perhaps another member of the squad can keep anyone else (especially those from another squad from interfering.

In theory it should work

It does work. This is exactly how I conduct my stages at big matches. If someone passes the caution tape while there is still a squad, of which they are not a member, shooting I tend to get a little rude with them. I think it is disrespectful and out of line to be so blatantly inane.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

I'll toss in my pet peeve about walk throughs - people walking the stage that aren't a part of your squad. I had this happen this past weekend a couple of different times. It happened shooting on Friday at the Double Tap match this year, with people who were shooting Sat/Sun walking stages while our squad was in the process of shooting!! It gets worse when you (politely) tell them to get off the stage, and they look at you, and then continue to do what they were doing.

BTW, +1 on keeping it flowing, and on being courteous to the on-deck guy, etc...

Let me double on that one...pet peeve is when those folks are also RO's and CRO's from other clubs. I have been known to go off on them...regardless of whether or not I am RO'ing the stage or just shooting it.

This should be grounds for immediate loss of RO/CRO status, whether it is at a local match or a larger one.

I agree with everone that objects to shooters from other squads coming onto the stage.

However there is a flip side to this.

If I am way down in the order and have some time to kill, (or maybe just on my way to / from the port-a-toilet) I will sometimes wander over to the next stage.

I do this just to get a preview of coming attractions or to watch someone else shoot.

I never actually go out on the stage but stay well back behind the tape.

While doing this at area 6, I had an R.O. tell me I needed to leave.

As I see it, if you are not actually on the stage, but in the spectators area, that is public domain and no one has any right to tell me I don't need to be there.

TLs

Edited by tlshores

While doing this at area 6, I had an R.O. tell my I needed to leave.

As I see it, if you are not actually on the stage, but in the spectators area, that is public domain and no one has any right to tell me I don't need to be there.

You're exactly right. As long as you aren't interfering w/ the operation of the stage, or the squad shooting the stage (ie, you're "behind the tape"), you're just a spectator. I don't have any problems with that at all, personally.

You also have a responsibility, though, to be helping reset the stage your squad is on, etc, so.... ;)

I agree with everone that objects to shooters from other squads coming onto the stage.

However there is a flip side to this.

If I am way down in the order and have some time to kill, (or maybe just on my way to / from the port-a-toilet) I will sometimes wander over to the next stage.

I do this just to get a preview of coming attractions or to watch someone else shoot.

I never actually go out on the stage but stay well back behind the tape.

While doing this at area 6, I had an R.O. tell my I needed to leave.

TLs

Sorry to hear that, Tony. Unless someone is wandering out into the CoF, they're always welcome at my stage.

You also have a responsibility, though, to be helping reset the stage your squad is on, etc, so.... ;)

+1

My concience is clear in that regard.

I tape and set steel on every stage.

However, with large squads on low round count stages there are often more shooters pasting than there are targets.

I often have to race downrange just to apply one paster.

We all can exercise a little judgement about what to do and when to do it.

I do my fair share and then some.

Tls

Edited by tlshores

Were getting along.

This isn't an argument, just a friendly discussion.

Yes, the rules say stay off the stage.

But if you're not on the stage, you're not on the stage.

It doesn't extend to the parking lot. ;)

Tls

Edited by tlshores

If you are not good at dissecting a course of fire,watch someone better on your squad walk thru the stage. If you have any questions, ask him or her! Just don’t be a nuisance!! LOL

I remember when I first started shooting I had no clue how to shoot a stage. After over 18 years, I can take one look and see how to do it ( most times!). I don’t mind telling others how to shoot a stage. Just don’t stand in my way wile I try to see what to do!!!LOL

The idea of rotating the order works well we do it at all major matches we go to (my wife and I).

:D

• 1 month later...

Uhum.....

I'm pretty new to all of the big match stuff, but Area 3 had their stages posted on the web for weeks before the match. I don't know if others do. I downloaded/studied them quite a bit prior to the match.

No, it doesn't come anywhere close to doing a walkthrough, but I think it really helped me. I was able to formulate something of a strategy and look at reloads. I feel like I had more of a subliminal familiarity with each stage when I got to it.

I had a better performance at this match, didn't "forget" any targets, and didn't shoot anything I wasn't supposed to. ;)

I was a RO for that match, and shot on the same squad as Manny. I have to admit I paid attention (not obsessively) to what he was doing on his walkthroughs...I just plugged-in a lot more steps and seconds to my planning process. :rolleyes:

Working on the setup crew also helps.

I only have 2 very minor peves about the walk-thru's. Say you have a squad of 10+, don't get to the end of the stage then push your way back in the middle where someone else is trying to look, start back at the beginning.

The 2nd is folks who air-gun 3 targets through a port for 2 minutes, why? See the targets are there then move on. Don't practice shooting through ports at a big match.

I ran into the same situation at the Indiana match as I did at Area 6. At Indiana, Stage 1 had 2 doors. You could go to either door on the left or right side. Then you had to go through the first door and then on to the next door. Push open the first, pull open the second. Of course all the right handers went to the left first then through the first door then pulled open the second door. I attempted to get a walk through several times but noone would wait at the other door to let me get one. I asked the guys to wait and of course they did except for one guy who didn't feel he needed to wait. I had no idea he went on through his walk through. So as you can guess when I came through the first door he was just walking up to it getting ready to grab the handle. Let me say I wasn't going through the door slowly. BAM.......instant intimate relationship with the door for the other guy. Everyone else was standing back letting me get a walk through, watching.........I'm guessing they knew what was about to happen but just didn't say anything to the guy.

Please pay attention to left handed shooters, We are odd as it is, don't make it harder on us. All these right handed stage designs are hard enough, :lol::lol::P

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

Walk-through edicate:

Get in line, walk your path, exit at hte rear of the stage and return to the front OUTSIDE the course. (Note to stage designers [self-included] leave an easy exit at the front of the stage tofacilitate exit)

Don't cut. we all only get the same time, and the D shooter you cut off is trying just as hard as the A that cut him off to win his class or his slice of pizza after the match.

Don't re-run a section multiple times, it stops the line and everyone loses.

Count the targets BEFORE you get into line!

Let the guy in front of you get out of your way, Don't push.

Remember, if you rotate your squad, you only generally have to go first one a match, maybe twice. The rest of the time you'll get extra time to walk IF YOU HELP TAPE

OK, nuf said.

Jim

• 2 months later...
Walk-through edicate:

Get in line, walk your path, exit at hte rear of the stage and return to the front OUTSIDE the course. (Note to stage designers [self-included] leave an easy exit at the front of the stage tofacilitate exit)

Don't cut. we all only get the same time, and the D shooter you cut off is trying just as hard as the A that cut him off to win his class or his slice of pizza after the match.

Don't re-run a section multiple times, it stops the line and everyone loses.

Count the targets BEFORE you get into line!

Let the guy in front of you get out of your way, Don't push.

Remember, if you rotate your squad, you only generally have to go first one a match, maybe twice. The rest of the time you'll get extra time to walk IF YOU HELP TAPE

OK, nuf said.

Jim

This should be posted at every larger match. Maybe every stage.