Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

308 Mags

ryan45kim

Simple question, do the DPMS and Knight 308 ARs use the same magazines?

I read somewhere that they both use the same design (not the waffle pattern but they will still work in the original AR-10s) as the original AR-10 so I'm guessing that the magazines are interchangeable, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks

Just one data point:

original "waffle-pattern" AR-10 mags work in my DPMS .308

new-manufacture smooth-side AR-10 mags do *not* work in my DPMS-308

Not sure what the difference is, but... there you go.

Bruce

I guess I was not clear so.

Aramlite uses a modified M-14 magazine.

Bushmaster (And soon RRA) uses a standard FAL magazine.

The question was if you can interchange DPMS and Knight Armament magazines. I believe they each make there own magazines, but will they work in the others rifle (also is one better then the other quality ect).

Thanks in advance.

That’s what I wanted to know, thanks.

One more question, are the Knight and DPMS magazines identical our is one better then the other?

They fit the Tubb 2k also, why did you tell me that now I want one of those also.

Ryan,

I don't know about the Knight mags, but I'm 96.2% positive that the DPMS mags do not hold a reliable/reloadable 20. Why DPMS did not make the mag 1/10" longer is a mystery that will ponder the ages. You can get #20 in there, but it's TIGHT.

Hopefully Dr. Kelley will see this thread and be more specific about what's going on and the corresponding solution. I know he was dealing with this issue a while back.

This is probably heresy, but I like the DPMS mags better than Knights. I was messing around with the feed lips trying to get 6.5-284 rounds to feed thru mags in my Tubb, the SR25 mags were way softer and deformed easily. Maybe it's just the aluminum vs steel thing.

I noticed on the DPMS web site that they now list their 308 mags as 19 round magazines.

I have 4 "20" round mags and they are not 100% reliable if fully loaded.

I polished the feed lips and once I got few hundred rounds through the rifle they now seem to work a lot better and are a little more reliable.