Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Sign in to follow this  
benos

Editing-own-post Time Frame

Brian,

I sat here and wrote several different responses to this thread and didn't like what I read in any of them.

Let me just say:

Thanks for letting me be a part of your forum. It's here that I feel as if I know most everyone in some small way and I can get my shooting "fix" every day. :D

dj

I see a number of great points made in this thread, others, not so much...

This may turn out to be Lake Wobegon, where everyone is above average, but it hasn't been proven yet. In fact, based on the apparent need for the change in board policy, there must be at least a few residents here who are lowering the curve.

Zak, thanks for trying to make a legitimate case for ethical rules that are based on widely accepted priniciples of fairness. Unfortunate that some see it as a personal attack on their integrity, I never read it that way. Like you, I have seen situations on other boards where meanings of posters comments were changed. I have never seen it on this board, and it may never happen here.

Saying that it can't happen here is just plain naive. When a poster's words and meaning can be changed without recourse (other than leaving), the potential for abuse is obviously there. The fact that it hasn't doesn't change the fact that it could. I'm not sure why Brian would want to leave that possibility on the table, but it's his board and he can if he wants to do so.

Maybe a better answer would be to archive posts after a set number of days. After "x" days, no one can edit a post. If a moderator(s) feel that a post has inappropriate content after that time maybe deleting the post should be their only option. This would prevent anyone from gutting informative posts and would provide a level of confidence that a poster's words and meanings would not be changed, even inadvertently, without recourse.

I understand BE's reason for wanting to limit the time a post can be edited. I think it is reasonable to want the forum to be complete. No holes, voids or drops outs that might make the body of information seem disjointed or scattered.

I know that when I have posted something in the past, I did so with the knowledge that if I were to look back on it and decide that I did not want the world to see it, I could remove it. Maybe a picture, a joke or just a comment made in the heat of the moment that no longer applies. In fact, I have gone back and removed posts. Sorry if they somehow caused the forum to be less complete. I had a reason.

I seem to remember a poster that went back and removed all their posts. Not just a few but all of them. I'm not sure why but they must have had a reason, porfessional or otherwise, to not want it out for all to see.

All I can say is that if I had known that what I was writing was going to be kept for eternity, as written at that moment without the capability for change, I may not have written it the way I did.

Brian - Thanks for the heads up on the change. What's done is done and from here forward we all know that the time to change a post will be limited, not open ;)

Anything you write on the internet is essentially said for all eternity, even if you delete it the next day.

Web search engines, both public and private, constantly download, index and archive everything.

Copyright laws in relation to the internet are both vague and pretty much useless in cases of private parties with no demonstrable damages.

All I can say is that if I had known that what I was writing was going to be kept for eternity, as written at that moment without the capability for change, I may not have written it the way I did.

Brian - Thanks for the heads up on the change. What's done is done and from here forward we all know that the time to change a post will be limited, not open ;)

It's not as easy as editing your own post, but if a compelling argument could be made for an edit or a removal of a particular post, you might find a moderator or two who'd be amenable to helping you out......

And there's still the problem with not being able to edit your own posts in the classified section.... I have no edit button, period - can't change my titles, or anything for that matter, for a post over 2 days old. So do I just notify a moderater to delete the post for me?

Maybe we can leave the edit feature "live" for just the classifieds?

Maybe we can leave the edit feature "live" for just the classifieds?

Unfortunately that is not possible.

The new workaround will be to add a post at the end of your thread to indicate that the items have been sold, or - just add Mods: Please delete thread.

be

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My feeling is that limiting the editing time frame will add a degree of responsibility and integrity to the entire forum. If you don't think you'll be happy with your post a few days or a month later, then maybe you might think a little bit more about how you are going to say it the first time. I don't think that's a bad thing.

The more I think about it (except for the Classifieds Forum and typos), the more I don't like the idea of unlimited editing. If have something worth saying - then say it. If later you realized you screwed up - then apologize.

This issue reminds of when an objection is sustained and the judge says - "The jury will disregard the last comments from the witness." Yea right.

be

So will or will not posters be able to "fix up" posts that moderators have edited, regardless of the 2-day window?

A simple yes or no to the jury...

So will or will not posters be able to "fix up" posts that moderators have edited, regardless of the 2-day window?

I'm not Brian ---- who still sets policy here, so I'm just answering this based on the moderating I've done: When I need to edit a post, a copy of the original is preserved, usually in the admin forum. I then pm the original poster, inform them of what I needed to change and why, and I always close that pm with a request to get back to me with any questions or concerns. 95% of the time I get a message back that the edit's fine with the poster; the other five percent of the time we discuss it, some of those discussions can be resolved with a further explanation of the rules, some are resolved with another edit of the post, some are resolved with a total restoration of the post after the moderating team has had a chance to discuss things.

Now I've got a simple question for you: Is there some particular incident of a moderator editing one of your posts or someone else's that's still unresolved, or are you just trolling for more commentary here? If it's the former, let's hear about it so we can help you resolve it ---- if it's the latter, perhaps we'll stop now......

Nik,

I know as facts that the following has happened on BE:

1. posts edited without ever notifying the poster (ie, it stands until he noticed and said "WTF, I didn't write that")

2. posts edited (content removed) and that content not moved to any "holding area"

3. entire threads deleted without moving to "holding area"

For all the arguments made in this thread that moderation only happens through a certain process, those three facts show pretty clearly that in practice, it doesn't. See post #27.

The argument "Posters Should Have The Balls To Stand By Their Posts!" (recently paraphrased in post #32) is an interesting contrast to the reality of a high rate of editing and deletion by moderators, as well as "weeding" threads by deleting and/or editing posts (which are within the Guidelines) so the threads better serve what the moderator thinks the threads should "do."

Zak,

No one can edit a post after 2 days other than a moderator.

3. entire threads deleted without moving to "holding area"

That is not possible due to the forum's software. Any post or thread a moderator "deletes" automatically moves to a "holding area." Since we've been on version 2.0.x, it has to happen that way.

From this point on, if you, or anyone, has any moderation issues, please PM me.

be