Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just Installed An Aftec

Flyin40

I have had one sitting in my box for awhile but never installed it. I was planning to have someone install it at Area 6 but didn't stick around Sat to check. Put it in last night and shot this morning. No malfunctions, its ejecting flatter now. Just put it in, rounded the corners on the FPS and made sure it had clearance from the barrel. Didn't even polish it yet. Shot about 200 rounds and zero problems.

Flyin40

I have used Aftec extractors for years and they do indeed solve most extractor problems. The operative word is "most". I have also learned there are a lot of tricks you can do with an Aftec to work around out of spec breech faces, disconnector rails that are too long, etc. Of course all of those fixes void the warranty and it gets expensive learning the hardway.

I have a modified Aftec in my new open gun and I shot about 500 rounds of mixed bag ammo during chrono testing, and while trying various powders and bullets in search of the right impulse. I haven't had a single failure, but the ejection pattern leaves a bit to be desired with mixed loads, lol. I cleaned the gun last night and if I can go another 1000 rounds without an issue I'll feel like the gun is good to go.

To offer a different view I've never put an aftec in that worked without modifying it, probably 8 or 10 of them in every caliber. It amazes me that others can drop them in and off they run.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got it to jam today. I ran around 800 rounds through in the last week with zero cleaning just to see how it would perform. A quick wipe down of the rails and had it up and running. The Aftec is really making it eject straight out. Makes a big difference.

So how often does everyone take their Aftec out and clean the extractor hole??? The same as with a regular extractor??

Flyin40

I will not use anything else in my guns!!!! I never had to modify any of them. just pop it in and happy shooting. I just pull it out and clean it every so often and replace the springs every year and have never had any malfunctions.

Edited by gmshooter

I finally got it to jam today. I ran around 800 rounds through in the last week with zero cleaning just to see how it would perform. A quick wipe down of the rails and had it up and running. The Aftec is really making it eject straight out. Makes a big difference.

So how often does everyone take their Aftec out and clean the extractor hole??? The same as with a regular extractor??

Flyin40

It should go a LOT longer than 800rds without jamming. I would still be looking for another problem. :(

I only take mine out on a complete detail strip about every 5~7K.

Flyin40

It should go a LOT longer than 800rds without jamming. I would still be looking for another problem. :(

I only take mine out on a complete detail strip about every 5~7K.

It jammed do to the gun being dirty, nothing to do with the Aftec. The rails were caked with a buildup of residue. Wiped them off and zero problems.

With the last extractor I would get to about 300 to 400 rounds and it would start jamming.

Basically I'm running 2x's as many rounds without cleaning with the Aftec.

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

I inspect mine each time I do a full tear down (every 500-1000 or so) and clean the extractor body and tunnel as needed. I went about 800 rounds without a jam, at one point, with no cleaning attention. I've made several corrections since then (including some mag tuning, new mag springs on order, and shortened OAL slightly) - I would expect to be able to manage over 1000, depending on powder cleanliness, etc. If the gun's caked up, all bets are off, really... except maybe add some light lube occasionally to help break that stuff up and keep the gun slick...

Guys, just make sure that you bevel the edge of the firing pin stop like the directions say. My gun ran almost 100%... <_< and it was due to the FP stop not having the "bevel" The aftecs are not designed to just "drop in", although they will work fine most of the time that way, which is a credit to their design! Proud Aftec user!

DougC

Guys, just make sure that you bevel the edge of the firing pin stop like the directions say.

Believe me, mine is!! :D It was installed by the guy who designed it :D

My jam (nosedown on feed ramp) was due to a combo of the following: worn out recoil spring, minor mag tuning issues, slightly too long OAL (gunsmith says to use 1.240", I was at 1.250"), and very dirty gun (3N38 is actually pretty dirty in my gun, leaving unburned powder granules, and lots of crud, etc - after 800 rounds it was pretty gnarly). Switched recoil springs, tuned mags slightly, shortened ammo. No jams after that...

But, yeah, not having rounded the corners of the FP stop means that you'll get too much tension, which can result in failures to go into battery...

Since I started using Slide Glide about 3.5 yrs ago, I only clean my gun about every 5K. The only reason I do it then is I feel guilty if I don't. I use VN320 and jacketed bullets. I guess I have high standards, but I don't call a pistol 100% unless it will run 5K without a hiccup.

It jammed do to the gun being dirty, nothing to do with the Aftec. The rails were caked with a buildup of residue. Wiped them off and zero problems.

It is hard for me to imagine how 800 rds could gunk up a pistol so bad it would jam. What lube, load are you shooting?

Flyin40 is running an Open gun with a big comp hanging off the end of the barrel...an 8lb recoil spring......shok-buff...with a C-more mounted right on top of the ejection port...170mm mags...Dirty powder...40 Open

On top of all that, he shoot it wrong handed. :)

As Flex said I'm running a S1 comp with barrel ports. My load is 7.2 grains of Universal powder. I was able to lower the powder charge after switching to rifle primers. I can go as low as 7.1 and still make major but play it safe with 7.2. Before Chroming the gun it ran longer but now its so damn tight that when it gets dirty I run into problems.

On another note I don't use an extended ejector. If I switch I believe it would help but after reading alot of thread and articles about 40sw ADing from the round hitting the extended ejector when unloading I chose not to change it. I have been thinking of getting the tuned Brazos ejector to try out.

Don't get me wrong, the gun runs great. With regular cleaning it runs 10k without jamming. The few jams I have had was due to me. It ran so good I didn't want to put a Aftec in it. The only time it will jam is if it gets dirty or I try running to light of loads or my daughter mixes some steel loads in with my match ammo(happened to me last yr in Mich). :o

Flyin40

Two things slightly off topic... think about a cleaner burning powder? And, think about a slower burning powder?? Don't know what you've tried, of course, and I haven't developed Open gun loads for .40 - seems like a 135gr w/ something like 3N37, 3N38, N350, N105, 7625, 4756, H110 (maybe?), HS6, True Blue, Silhouette, etc, etc, might result in better use of the comp than a relatively fast powder like Universal, and might be somewhat cleaner, as well??? :)

Two things slightly off topic... think about a cleaner burning powder? And, think about a slower burning powder?? Don't know what you've tried, of course, and I haven't developed Open gun loads for .40 - seems like a 135gr w/ something like 3N37, 3N38, N350, N105, 7625, 4756, H110 (maybe?), HS6, True Blue, Silhouette, etc, etc, might result in better use of the comp than a relatively fast powder like Universal, and might be somewhat cleaner, as well??? :)

Just like the extractor its hard to change something that works. The gun is pretty flat shooting. When I get closer to the end of my 8lb jug of universal I'll try a little slower powder and decide after that what t get next. I have shot other powders and I don't think Universal is very dirty but then again I have not shot alot of powders.

Flyin40

No doubt :) My experience has been that a powder that gunks the gun up that completely and that quickly is pretty dirty. This is, in fact, why I'm looking at switching away from 3N38 - in my gun, it leaves too much crud for my taste. Compared against N350 at old major, it's probably 3-4x dirtier. 7625 seems a lot cleaner at Major PF, and performs well in my gun, so that's the next stop when I burn up the remaining 4-ish pounds of 3N38 that I have. It's worth playing around - ask around your area, you might be able to obtain quarter or half pounds of various powders from folks to try out... ;)

• 3 weeks later...

After I broke an extractor in my Limited gun one of the most experienced shooters I know (who I trust completely for advise) told me to get an Aftec and be done with extractor problems. I bought one and a couple standard extractors for spare parts just in case Murphy finds me again. The Aftec went in VERY easily. It went in in HALF the time it took me to get one of the standard extractors tuned and running. I have only put about 500 rounds through it since the Aftec went in but it runs great so far. I am very impressed with the Aftec, and it sure looks beefy enough that I don't expect to break it anytime soon.

I will be using them from now on.

+1 on the AFTEC requiring minimal tuning after initial install. my limited gun kept having FTF every 4 rounds with a standard extractor. tuning standard extractors suck :angry: . with the AFTEC, round off the FP stop and voila, no FTF or FTE :wub: . gotta love no fuss tuning. now to get AFTEC for everything else i own.