Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Failure To Eject?

bigbrowndog

does anyone know why my gun does this, it doesn't do it every time but when i'm trying to get it broke open and reloaded in under 3 seconds, (for STC competition) it fails to throw both or just one out, there is no pattern, sometime lower bbl, sometime upper, sometimes both.

i've held the butt and let the barrel fall freely and it works, i've held the barrels and let the butt fall freely and it works, i've held just the receiver and let the butt and barrels fall freely, and it works. when i trap the butt under my arm and bring the barrels down with my offhand, this is when it fails to eject, not all the time though. when the barrels are brought down casually it works, when they're brought down with some energy it tends to fail. does anyone know if its something i'm doing, or is it the gun. help.... nationals are not far off. trapr

Where are the ejector springs? If it's like a Citori, they're under the forend. You may simply be pinching the springs when you're pulling on the foreend. No clue what the fix is, but that may be the problem.

E

All ejectors on O/Us are 'timed' to release at a certain point. Too early and the ejectors kick the empties into the breechface and back into the chamber or too late and they don't eject at all or barely when the bbls have reached the end of their pivot point. Sometimes irregular brass will impede the ejection.

Since it seems to work when done "casually"(normal speed?) and not consistently when done very quickly, I'd bet it's the timing as opposed to a defective part, etc. You could try to make sure that the ejector parts are cleaned and oiled, but more than likely you would need a gunsmith to time them.

I'm not familiar with Verona's to be honest, but it's probably similar to most O/U's I would guess.

You don't want to crank down the bbls with too much energy by the way. ;)

thanks for the replies.....irish, i don't like cranking on the barrels either, so i really try to be easy on them when i'm going fast. i'll look into the timing thing more.

eric, thanks for the grip tape, for my g34. i put it on the other day and its great, nice product. thanks trapr

What ammo are you using? Many low priced loads use steel instead of brass in the head. Steel causes extraction problems in some guns. Even if it looks brass it may be painted steel. Check this.