Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Ar For 3 Gun

1911vm

I am new to this game so I have questions. Regrettably I am not made out of money and cannot experiment with different guns. So as my father said other people’s expereions is cheaper then gaining your own. So the question is if you are starting from beginning knowing what you know. What would you get for 3 gun AR Thanks.

PS I hope I can post this question here I am confused if .223 is minor caliber how come if I use .45 and a 12g I am shooting major??? Would I not need .308

It looks like we are going to go down this road again.. hahahaha.. I have a RRA, but if I were going to do it again, I would call Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting and have him build one. He is one of the best and his prices are competetive with many off the shelf AR's. He is a fine 3-gunner and a great guy.

Mike

Use thy search function. PLEASE!

There are a million, gazillion posts on the subject of "which AR to get" here. I know because I have had a hand in many, many of them ;-)

As far as Power Factor goes. All shotguns are major, or they don't shoot for score. The minimum PF for shotgun is 480, fall below that and you shoot for no score. The major PF floor for rifle is 320 and the minor PF floor is 150. For pistol it's 165 for the major floor and 125 for the minor floor.

The new USPSA scoring procedures allow for pistol and rifle to be a different Power Factor within multigun stages. One size fits all is no longer a valid concept for PF at USPSA rules run 3gun matches that feature combo stages.

Your minor 'cause all your firearms need to be major.

Huh? Doesn't the scoring system take into account different powerfactors for different guns? Pretty much everyone shoots major handgun and shotgun and minor rifle.

Your minor 'cause all your firearms need to be major.

No so, anymo'

PF always matters in USPSA 3gun matches and in Multigun matches now that San Angelo scoring is in general use.

For other 3gun matches that use IMG rules PF is usually 150 minimum for pistols across the board and nobody cares for rifles, or shotguns.

That's why I put the word "usually" in there.

The 150 PF minimum for pistols used to be a standard specification at a lot of IMG style 3gun matches back in the 90's, but doesn't seem to be as prevalent nowadays with a lot of folk shooting factory 9x19 ammo in their stock P-Shooters at this type of match.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess what I am asking is if one gun is minor than all of your score are scored as minor. So why not use 9mm glock for example with +6 base pad = 24rounds or any other double stack or even a lower caliber shot gun . Ammo cheaper also

Edited by 1911vm

There are 2 main scoring systems;

IMGA does not crono or score based on major or minor guns. Scores are usually time plus penalties (similar to IDPA), with each stage figured to 100% (the stage winner gets 100%) and using the percentages as match points.

USPSA does do the major/minor thing and standard USPSA socring, but each firearm is scored separately depending on if it is major or minor. A good match will figure out the major/minor discrepancies in the stats shack. A better match will give the competitor the choice on which gun to use on most (if not all) paper targets and some steel.

Back to your original question. Probably close to 99% of 3gun competitors use a .223 AR style for rifle, a major pistol and 12 guage shotgun... You just choose a division (open, Tactical, He-Man) build your guns up to meet the division requirements, and go shootin! so dust off your AR and attend a local 3gun match, you won't regret it.

jj

Thanks that is very good advice. I am getting very interested in (heavy metal , and iron man) divisions. I am going to shot one next month. The only thing is for this one I have to use a minor rifle and I will but for the next. Which is area 7 in mass I will need a .308 and I do not have one. Does any one have any Ideas on a good one. Thanks to all of yours prodding I found a lot of info on a AR but there is not much on .308. thanks