Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slugs- What Choke?

bomadera

It depends on the type of slug. Also, because chambers, bore diameter, and forcing cones vary, you may find a certain choke shoots more accurate than others.

With a foster type slug and modern screw-ins, I would start with improved cylinder and modified. If both shoot poorly, try a cylinder choke. Foster slugs seem to like a little choke.

My advice would be. Cut one of the slugs you are using from the cartridge and see if it will fit through your choke. If you are using screw in chokes. Remove the screw in choke from the barrel and see which choke will snugly fit your slug. In my Browning Gold, the S&B Brenneke style slugs snugly fit through my modified choke. When I mean snug, I mean that I can use finger pressure to push the slug through the choke. If this is not possible, try the improved cylinder choke. If too loose, try the Full choke, if too tight, maybe look at improved modified. When you change brands and styles of slug, you have to cut the new slug from the new ammo and do this trick all over again.

Vince

Edited by sargenv

What choke should I use for slugs? Is modified too tight? Thanks

Improved cylinder from my expierence. It could hold groups out to 75yds. Then I discovered the rifled barrels and Sabots, grps easily over 150yds now. Good stuff.

Flyin40

Slug only stage? I'd use either a rifled or a cylinder.

I've shot slugs through a turkey choke before and the world didn't explode or anything. The choke unscrewed like normal. This was for a paper and far steel stage.

The turkey choke shifted the POI pretty high. Normally with cylinder with the bottom of the A zone at 50 yards as POA the slugs would land right in the middle of the A zone. On that particular stage it shifted AFAIK about 6-10" up.

If you will use multiple size chokes with slugs, I'd recommend that you see where your POI is using the various chokes