Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Improving Endurance

XRe

During a recent conversation with a pharmacist he warned against carrying ice cold drinks for replacing fluids (he rides mountain bikes a lot and knows a bit about the trying to stay hydrated). He explained that when the ice cold drinks hit your stomach they have the effect of causing the blood vessels there to constrict, thus inhibiting absorbtion. I think I read that on here somewhere, too.

At yesterday's match I made a point of not having the drinks in my little carry-around cooler iced down. They were still a little cooler than room temperature by the time I drank them, but they weren't icy cold. Seemed to help a lot with maintaining a good hydration level.

• 7 months later...
During a recent conversation with a pharmacist he warned against carrying ice cold drinks for replacing fluids (he rides mountain bikes a lot and knows a bit about the trying to stay hydrated). He explained that when the ice cold drinks hit your stomach they have the effect of causing the blood vessels there to constrict, thus inhibiting absorbtion. I think I read that on here somewhere, too.

That sounds like good advice... Also - Check the label, read ingredients when you buy Gatoraide. I recently bought a bottle of GA 'Power' or 'Extreme' by mistake after a workout and felt absolutely lousy within minutes.

Checked the ingredients: 2x the Sucrose and HF Corn Syrup (and calories) of normal Gatoraide. Those are empty calories and will send pancreas into fits for some people.

10 years ago or so, GA used to use only low amount of glucose the and a good balance of electolytes. Mixed w. water, GA was perfect for heavy cardio activity. It was great. Now they've mixed in other sweeteners which don't help you. Not sure why they've done this.

MORE than you'd ever wanted to know about oral rehydration from the people who treat dehydration secondary to cholera, etc. Note that this is RE-hydration after a substantial loss, usually due to diarrhea, not PREVENTION of fluid deficit which has been very adequately discussed above.

However, ORF (Oral Rehydration Fluid - homemade or reconstituted from commercially-available powder) is certainly easier and cheaper to come by than a case of any sports drink, it tastes a bit better than plain water, and it addresses the other electrolytes that shift in response to the fluid loss.

See http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec19/ch276/ch276c.html and

http://www.rehydrate.org/ors/ort.htm

Yes, this stuff is written in doc talk, je regrette! I think most folks who hold their own on other discussions on the forum can probably plow through this and extract what's useful.

Currently I am jogging almost every day for an hour. After only several weeks, I can feel the increase in energy and endurance in even the simplest tasks. Hydration is paramount, especially when out in the sun, but I believe that endurance is something that can, and should be built up over time, and not something that can be gained though dinking or eating any one thing on game day.

• 8 months later...

I power walk every morning for 90 min. and try to eat right that being said the only time I ever was tired and dragging ass at a match was 3 yrs ago at Area 6.We shot on Friday and I pasted targets and reset and or painted steel after every shooter in the squad except myself and the shooter after me.I also video taped every stage my buddy shot.I will never do that again.I was in a daze driving back home that night. :surprise:

I missed this earlier this year... ;)

Hey, Fran, any idea where one might come up w/ a commercial ORF powder? I'm willing to give anything a shot. Currently, what's working for me a 2:1 water/Gatorade solution, plus consistent intake of some sort of low glycemic index food (Clif Mojo bars, and Builder bars have been the weapon of choice lately). I had much increased stamina and mental endurance this year - it was not unusual to drink 2 gallons of that solution during a typical 100+ degree Texas day on the range, and still pee maybe once every 2 stages (which means I still wasn't drinking enough, in theory)...

Also, suffering in that heat is a great way to work on your mental game under duress... :lol:

• 11 years later...
  • 1 year later...

On endurance: I recently shot a single-day 10-stage major match on a hot and humid day, and crashed towards the end of the match. To be honest, I didn't have much energy even in the morning due to things I had to do the day before. But, one thing I realized is sleep is super important for stamina. I just don't have the stamina for such a long match unless I take my full nights sleep, and have done it back to back for a few nights before the match. Basically, for me, the key is working on hydration and sleep a few days before the match.

• 1 year later...

I do crossfit 4-5 days a week and I usually follow up each session with a protein shake and some sort of bicarbonate beverage (lactate buffer). I also stretch before and after to prevent injury. 

recently I’ve i corporates a message gun to my daily recovery session and take an over night recovery supplement. 

as for hydration, I try to stick with water throughout the day and maybe 1x Gatorade. Depending on how hot and how long in the day I’ll mix a can of monster and water together in a 32oz Nalgene bottle. Worked surprisingly well and it was only used for the later half of the day. 

4 hours ago, Sarge said:

Question: How do you know if somebody does CrossFit?

Answer: Don’t worry they’ll tell you.

😂

And if they are a Vegan and get Vaccinated, they will NEVER stop talking!

Nolan

Yes, I do know such a person and yes, they NEVER stop telling you about it.

57 minutes ago, Nolan said:

And if they are a Vegan and get Vaccinated, they will NEVER stop talking!

Nolan

Yes, I do know such a person and yes, they NEVER stop telling you about it.

LOL Me too. My son and his wife do crossfit and they literally remind me every time I see them. It's kind of funny. BUT, they are in great shape!

12 hours ago, Sarge said:

LOL Me too. My son and his wife do crossfit and they literally remind me every time I see them. It's kind of funny. BUT, they are in great shape!

I actually didn’t mention it to me wife for the longest time until she came with me one day. It all made sense when I came home smoked after a 1hr session.

• 1 month later...