Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Being Out Of Shape...

EricW

I hate being out of shape. I started running in high school. Ran all the way through college. Biked. Skied. Hiked. Climbed. Then 3 years ago my knees started to go - prior to which I had never known any type of knee pain. That was about 5 years after my doctor told me, "Eric! Low Impact!" Which, predictably, made absolutely no...umm...impact on my habits. Even when I was "out of shape" when I was fit, I was still able to pack up and go mountain climbing on 24 hours notice and keep up. By the last semester of school for (my last degree), my knees were so bad that I was taking the elevator instead of the stairs. Every step felt like someone jabbing an ice pick in my kneecap.

I took it as a sign and finally hung up the running shoes for good. My knees slowly seem to be coming around. I wish I had known what I was doing to my body at the time. Running while overweight, and bare-legged in the cold (as a youth) probably did most of the damage. Mountain climbing did some (descending). Ignorance...Stupidity...Self-delusion...Stupid probably sums it up. I knew that I was doing some damage. Shin splints and ankle injuries were common for me. I either didn't believe or deluded myself into the idea that what I was doing would set me up to walk like a little old man as a young man.

I hate that I didn't change out shoes more often. I hate that there is no decent running store in Spokane like there are in Portland. Those guys in Portland knew I was a clydesdale and would cut me deals on multiple pairs of shoes so I could afford to rotate them out. I hate that I didn't just cough up the dough and keep myself in new running shoes - which really helps keep the injuries down. I hate that I didn't know that hard-core runners change out shoes every couple weeks.

I've spent the last 3 years mainly walking, hiking, and hunting with a little XC skiing thrown in. Now that I'm back on the bike, I realize just how out of shape I am muscularly and cardiovascularly. The upshot is that I have a bike that doesn't beat me up, so I can hit trails regularly. It's getting better, but I'm going to be hating life for a while. Exercise used to be the high point of my day. I hate that it doesn't feel fun right now.

I miss running with my dog. I don't know what I'll do if I get to the point I can't hike or hunt with her anymore. I hate the uncertainty that I've set myself up for.

:(

Eric, you just voiced the anguish of an entire generation. I managed to avoid real injury for a long time despite some really close calls, until last year when I took a flight from about 4 steps up my stairs and landed on my left knee. Stupid accident which will most likely be with me for life. I was lucky enough that during my stupid years I managed to stay alive. Free solo rock climbing is fun but dumb, which luckily I realized early on.

Just be glad you are a young man...even with bad knees, being a young man with bad knees is better than being like me and being an Old Man with bad knees...you can have them replaced...it is a waste of time and money for me to do it now...I just don;t run, jog, climb, or hike fast...I can swim a bit, walk a little (albeit slowly) and I take lots of Advil...so perk up...and enjoy life...

Tightloop

Just be glad you are a young man...even with bad knees, being a young man with bad knees is better than being like me and being an Old Man with bad knees...you can have them replaced...it is a waste of time and money for me to do it now...I just don;t run, jog, climb, or hike fast...I can swim a bit, walk a little (albeit slowly) and I take lots of Advil...so perk up...and enjoy life...

Tightloop

What is it they say? The first thing to go are your knees - and I can't remember what the second thing is... :lol:

Eric,

This thread is not the least bit whiny, at least not to me. As for cautionary, the kids just pretty much ignore it! My brother, who plays golf, doesn't shoot at all, will eventually have both knees replaced. Both were screwed up playing basketball, one in high school, one while he was just goofing around at a cookout. I don't feel your pain, but have my own like all of us that are in middle age. I hope you're in middle age, the 1911 date of birth in your profile says otherwise :D

The new bike is an excellent place to continue with excercise, without the pounding of your joints, good luck with it.